Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • tubolito tubes
  • andybrad

Ive had my interest peaked by these orange innertubes. runing tubeless i tend to run a tire and if i get a puncture replace it. The tube i carry is for emergency only.

should i invest in one of these? Ive already got enough 29er tubes but they are rather large in my swat box.

or waste of cash?

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve one as a last resort, get me out of jail option for tubeless.

So some thoughts and experiences.

First off – they are bloomin’ expensive. Second when fitting you need to be really sure that there are no thorns or sharps protruding into the inside of the tyre. Third you need to be really, really sure there are no …

There are two variants, one with a fixed valve stem and one with a removable. The removable version packs smaller (and is lighter I think – you’d need to check on that) but isn’t as robust and I’ve heard of people having problems with the valve stem leaking.

Punctures. Normal puncture repair kits don’t work on the plastic used. Tubolito sell a patch kit but it’s just McNett Tenacious Tape so get a roll of that and make your own patches. I’ve used both Topeak and Park glueless patches with no problem.

Sizing: Unlike normal inners you can’t stretch a 27.5″ Tubolito to fit a 29″ tyre. I’m not sure how big a tyre you can go with the 29″ version – I’ve used mine on a 2.35″ but it might not stretch to a 2.6″ tyre for example. Again you’d have to check.

Another option might be one of the superlight rubber innertubes that fall somewhere between a standard innertube and the Tubolito.

Did I mention about thorns?

mashr

tend to run a tire and if i get a puncture replace it

What? Why not just repair the tyre with a plug?

njee20
    Free Member

I bought a pair in about May. They’ve been in the door pocket of my car ever since. I must get around to fitting them, although they’re going on the summer bike which now won’t get used until spring!

andybrad

mashr Member
    tend to run a tire and if i get a puncture replace it

What? Why not just repair the tyre with a plug?

Because its always in the back of my mind and i dont want to be the guy who gets a flat in the middle of nowhere.

avdave2

I’ve got a pair as back for the plus tyred bike, saved around 450g from the tubes it came with that I was using as spares once I’d gone tubeless. More useful than the weight saving is how small they are in comparison to standard tubes. I got them as I was planning the SDW in a day until a wrist injury put a hold to that and I wanted the very best chance of failing due to my own inadequacies rather than an issue with the bike. I’ve also got a repair tool in the kit as well. I was probably being overcautious simply because this is the first time I’ve had a tubeless set up and so far they’ve just worked so I’ve no idea of what will be involved if I do get a flat. What I’ll probably find is I won’t be able to get the tyre off the rim to put a very expensive tube in!

scotroutes

I have two of the “heavier” Tubolitos as spares on my bikepacking bike. It’s tubeless but I’m often so far from a road that a puncture could be a serious situation. They pack smaller/lighter than one normal inner tube. No feedback on them as I’ve (touch wood) not needed them yet.

whitestone
    Free Member

It does depend where on the tyre you get a hole that the sealant won’t deal with but the only time I’ve ever had to use a plug the hole was on the main running surface and the tyre was still good two years and many miles later. Fit as per instructions out on the trail then when you get home trim the excess plug down and cover/seal with flexible superglue.

I meant to say, the only time I’ve had to use the Tubolito was on a JennRide a couple of years ago and it lasted a full day and a bit in the Lakes but I got a tiny pin-prick from a thorn on the second day and it would deflate over the course of about two hours. A bit of pumping at regular intervals got me back.

Edit: do a search on the BearBones forums for “tubolito” and you’ll get more views.

andybrad

im taking a dynoplug with me as well so this is in case of emergencies.

kerley
    Free Member

I tried them a few months ago and they were dreadful. One leaked air from the start so assumed it was my hamfisted fitting but I couldn’t find a puncture anywhere. Only when I put the actual valve under water I could see it slowly leaking from the top of the valve where it joined to the plastic.
    Couldn’t send it back as I had inflated tube outside of tyre an a potion had blown up like a childrens’ balloon animal (don’t inflate them when not in a tyre!). Though I would try and melt the area around join forgetting that the tubes go pop when near heat (again like a balloon)

Bought another one to cut my losses (as the second one of the pair I had bought was still okay) and it was leaking from the start but this time from the join between the two pieces of tube. I did get my money back that time.

I am now back on normal tubes which are 60 grams heavier but worth it…

darkroomtim
    Free Member

I used the Revoloop ones (look very similar) on my fat bike before going tubeless. I also had an issue with one of them where air was slowly leaking out the valve – bit of grease sorted that – disappointing though considering the price – but they are WAY WAY lighter –

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tempted to try them simply as all my emergency tubes seem to rot and split before I need them after being left in saddle bags for months/years. Should probably seal them in sandwich bags or something.

RichBowman

Had one on my road bike as an emergency spare. Needed it one morning. Valve didn’t play well with my CO2 inflater. Back to ‘normal’ tubes.

salsaboy

I tried one, never got it to inflate fully. Leaking air from round the valve core, then the valve core came out completely.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘tubolito tubes’ is closed to new replies.