Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubless Troubles – Again
  • awptechnical
    Free Member

I’m still having trouble with my tubeless setup. Part of it is down to the EVO Rocket Rons that appear to be a bit fragile and prone to cutting up, however, even when this happens (3 times now, twice on Tuesday night!)I can’t get the Stans to seal the hole. The cuts have been about 3-4mm long. I get off the bike, roll the cut to the bottom so that the sealant is covering the area. The air will stop leaking and I’ve been leaving it about a minute before rotating the wheel at which point it starts gushing again. I repeat the process but after about 4 attempts all the sealant has leaked out and I end up having to put a tube in.

Am I missing something?

I probably need to get tougher tyres but would like to continue for a bit. Any advise…..

lucien

Same happened to me te other night with a Specialized tubeless tyre – wasn’t impressed. Tubeless, for me, runs better on lower psi’s, ok with thorns etc, but not much else….,so of limited benefit.

christhetall
    Free Member

Have you tried furry worms ?

Sealant works on the small thorn pricks, as long as they are in the middle of the tyre, but is less effective on bigger cuts, or anything on the sidewall

something like this link

Garry_Lager

Don’t think you’re missing anything in particular – sealant isn’t a cert to seal a cut tyre. Good with thorn punctures like lucien says.

Sounds like a bad match between the tyre and the trail – 3 punctures in short order makes tubesless pointless (although I guess you might have flatted anyhow with a tubed set-up, depnding on the cuts). Change the tyre.

traildog
    Free Member

Furry worms as mentioned above. Still easier an less annoying than changing a tube – especially in the cold and rain.

Also, make sure you shake the stan plenty before putting it in. I’ve been guilty of this in the past and the result is that it does a very poor job of sealing larger holes.

Northwind

I was never happy with my ralphs and nics tubeless, they picked up slices constantly and by and large, slits/cuts don’t seal well… Not usually a problem as they’re normally rare, but with these tyres they were common. I’ve not used a Ron tubeless though.

HermanShake
    Free Member

As said Rons are great for milder environments but tubeless tyres in rougher terrain need a bit of protection, often in the sidewall. Schwalbe’s snakeskin is meant to answer this if you want to stay with the tread. IIRC there have been numerous issues with Schwalbe and tubeless to the point of delamination! I read something on here about Stan’s pulling support of Schwalbe tyres, which is odd as they make their sealant 😐

Maxxis with Exo or On-Ones with ‘eckso’ should seal up fine and be fairly tough. My On-Ones are surviving well amid the Peak gritstone.

rickon
    Free Member

Ron’s have the same carcass as the Robs. They’re very very thin, I never had a problem with the sidewalls over about 12 months of use, although I went through about 6 pairs of them in that time (!).

They’re very soft, and pants on wet rock or slate. So they wear out quickly. Plus they’d pinch flat the bead on anything over a 2 foot jump. Destroyed a few that way too.

They really are a ‘race’ only tyre… unless you bought them as cheaply as I did 😉 Then they’re disposable.

awptechnical
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I do think that a big part of the problem is the EVO tyre being too prone to cuts. I’m interested in the worms though; do you fit these in the cut and then re-inflate? Is it something you can do whilst out-and-about without removing the tyre from rim?

I probably need to start a new thread along the lines of “What tubeless tyre to use”; I was thinking Continental X-Kings; I only need them until the weather turns shitty as I use Maxxis Beavers on a 29er over the winter. Doubting wether to run them tubeless now.

stanleigh
    Free Member

This kit is the business for an external repair , while the tyre is inflated :

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Panaracer-Tubeless-Tyre-Repair-Kit_406.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CNnq4qW63LgCFbMQt

But long term , Continenals X Kings are a good a ride as Ralphs /Rons .

Pay the extra for the ‘ Protection ‘ model. These are tubeless ready , have an extra ply & reinforced side walls & the super grippy ‘ Black Chilli ‘ compound.

I’m a 100kg fairly high mileage single speeder , I actually get to wear out a rear Continental X King in 6-7 months , rather than have 2 or 3 Schwalbes fail by tearing.

khani
    Free Member

Happened three times on my Rons, , easiest way to fix is turn the bike upside down, put the cut to the top so all the sealant doesn’t leak out, and put a wormy thing in the hole and pump it back up, the Weldtite kits are good, and you can buy the worms off eBay for peanuts once you have the tools from the kit..
    They seem to be a permanent fix cos non of mine have failed up to yet…

awptechnical
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. Some useful stuff there. I think I’m going to get more and more problems with the RRons so I’m going to look for something else.

Stanleigh – those Conti X-Kings look pretty good; I think they could be my choice.

Thanks again to everyone.

christhetall
    Free Member

Yep, the worms are be poked in without removing the tyre – you thread them onto a needle, poke it in the hole and then trim it. Feels a bit odd putting a needle in your tyre, but it is very quick

chrischim
    Free Member

I had the same problems with snakeskin NNics – splitting on the tread. I have been using Double Defense Ralphs all this year and they have been fine.

Northwind

I read in another thread that snakeskin is only sidewall protection, the tread part is just standard. That’s an Internet Fact but seems convincing.

khani
    Free Member

All mine were in the tread. Nice feeling tyres but a bit fragile, 😕
    Currently trying a Bonty team issue TLR 29-3 front 29-2 rear on the other bike and they seem a nice and fast roly/grippy combo, and seem a bit more durable without weighing a ton, so I won’t be going with Shwalbe again I think..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubless Troubles – Again’ is closed to new replies.