Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubless Nightmare
  • huggis
    Free Member

I have a pair if Ultegra Wheels with Hutchinson tubless tyres. 1st issue is that one of the tyres is not holding pressure. After much investigation I identified that a leak was coming from 1 of the 2 tiny holes on the rim wall which seem to be left over from manufacturing the rims. So plan B was to install normal tyres with tubes. 2nd issue is that it seems impossible to remove the factory fitted valve so a normal tube van be used!

Anyone got any suggestions? Wheels are about 2 years old…..

nedrapier

Have you tried sealant?

The valves come off. Unscrew The black jobbies.

huggis
    Free Member

Yes tried sealant. It’s only the valve in the time now, the other bits (the ring and the plastic bit which seats into the rim) are off yet it won’t come free. It wiggles around like one of my 9 years old sons teeth before it falls out!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

a bit of tubeless jizz should seal the little holes

I like tubeless road tyres; worth the effort IMO (but I bet you can get the valves out)

—————————–

(just read that you’ve tried it. did you spin the wheel to distribute the jizz properly ?)

(or a bit of araldite or something ?)

nedrapier

I’m reluctant to say “pull harder” but mine came out without much persuasion after unscrewing the gubbins.

huggis
    Free Member

Tbh…it was such a nightmare installing the tyres that I don’t mind using tubes again. A roadside repair would be near impossible with existing setup…..

Will try and pull harder!

huggis
    Free Member

I’m assuming the valve comes out towards the centre of the wheel?!?

Northwind

Nope, other way round

huggis
    Free Member

Got it! Issue was that the valve had dropped through inner wall and was stuck between! Now to research new tyres!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubless Nightmare’ is closed to new replies.