Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tubless = everything less?
  • Kryton57

After fixing a strange puncture – on the Inside of a tube – I noticed the Bonty Tubless ready wheels supplied on my new bike, although running with tubes, have no rim strips.

Should this be the case?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, and don’t bother buying the plastic Bonty rimstrips – just use Stan’s yellow tape.

Kryton57

So I only need the tape to go tubeless, not if im using tubes?

ratherbeintobago

So I only need the tape to go tubeless, not if im using tubes?

Stan’s tape for going tubeless, normal rim tape if not (to protect the tube from the nipple heads).

Andy

Klunk
    Free Member

you’ll need stans valves & gunk as well.

Kryton57

Let me rephrase it.

I’m happy to stay with tubes. Do I need rim tape on these wheels?

nmdbase
    Free Member

You still need rimtape, yes

cheburashka
    Free Member

Am I the only one using yellow tape with tubes? Is this wrong?

(haven’t made my mind up yet which way to go)…

ratherbeintobago

Am I the only one using yellow tape with tubes? Is this wrong?

No, that should work. Important thing is making sure there’s something between nipple heads and tube.

You still need rimtape, yes

Velox FTW

Andy

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You should have rim tape for sure or you will get continual punctures from the spoke holes . Bonty wheels when bought aftermarket come with tubeless valves and the Bonty tubeless rim strip . Normally if they come on a bike they come with blue rim strips which aren’t suitable for tubeless. If you plan on going tubeless the dedicated Bonty tubeless rimstrips will be a better bet than Stans tape as they are designed to be an exact fit on the Bonty wheels and they only cost £3.99 per rimstrip and £3.99 per tubeless valve and work brilliantly . If you have taken your punctured tyre and tube off the rim and can’t see any spoke holes it’s probable that a Bonty Tubeless rimstrip is fitted , they just look like part of the wheel and unless you know what you are looking for are hard to spot .

Kryton57

Ah.

I just order the Velox and then saw Neils post. Strangley, as I repaired the puncture I couldnt see the spoke ends hence I asked the question.

And Neil you may be right it just looked like the inside of the wheel. However my “puncture” was a slice in the inner tube side where it contacts the wheel which I guess added to the confusion.

Neil – any tips for spotting the Bonty strips? I’ll have another look, possibly some velox for sale then……

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you push a screwdriver through the valve hole you will be able to lift the rimstrip away from the rim .

ratherbeintobago

What tyres are you running? If you have got the Bonty rim strips, it may be an easy job to put some sealant in & run them tubeless (I’m assuming that Bonty wheels on a new bike have come with Bonty tyres, and IIRC most of them are tubeless ready).

Andy

Kryton57

Cheers Neil, I’ll have a look.

Tobago – currently Bonty Mud X, yes I could go tubeless with the purchase of some valves / sealant. *thinks about it*

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

just use Stan’s yellow tape.

Electrical tape FTW.

Not bontranger, but I’m running insulation tape + stans strips + sealent + 2bliss or maxxis SPC tyres at the ,moment on mavic rims, the same also worked on alex ones. Takes varying ammounts of electrical tape to make it work though, the Alex rims took most of a small roll each, the Mavics just 3 (one tot he left, one to the right one central in the rim).

njee20
    Free Member

If you plan on going tubeless the dedicated Bonty tubeless rimstrips will be a better bet than Stans tape as they are designed to be an exact fit on the Bonty wheels and they only cost £3.99 per rimstrip and £3.99 per tubeless valve and work brilliantly .

I disagree, they make some tyres incredibly tight, and because they have such a marked well it can make inflation hard.

Electrical tape is ok, but is much more flexible, so it gets pushed into the spoke holes, the Stan’s stuff is best IMO.

Kryton57

It appears I have the Bonty strips pre installed.

And another puncture. Will investigate tomorrow….

rewski
    Free Member

My tubeless rims are smooth on the inside eg; no spoke holes? In which case you don’t need strips.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tubless = everything less?’ is closed to new replies.