Tubeless wheelset recommendations?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless wheelset recommendations?
  • MussEd

Yep, it’s 5.30am and I’m on here already, must be new bike time. I’m looking at getting a 160mm travel bike to cover all my riding(just sold DH bike and 120mm) and have a couple of possibilities lined up…first thing I’d be looking to upgrade would be a tubeless wheelset to try and shed a little weight.

They need to be able to withstand some abuse, as I err on the heavy side both in my riding style and when I stand on some bathroom scales…heading to the Alps for a week in July, my regular rides take me all over Southern Scotland, with a couple of gravity enduros booked this year already, as well as a highland epic thrown in here and there.

I’ve always used Pro2s in the past and have bearing tools for them, so that would be my hub of choice, but what rim? Also open to new wheelsets but need to be easily convertible between 15mm and 20mm.

So what would the STW recommend a tubeless virgin? (any recs for tyres would be a help too)

uplink

I’ve just taken delivery of some lovely new Stan’s Crests on ProIIs from JRA – QR15 front, Bolt up rear

Not ridden them yet but the build looks top class

Anyway, worth considering similar with Flows?

MussEd

Are Flows “heavier” duty?

Stans and ProII’s via Hope Hoops. Get the wider Stans Rims for strength. If you consider other wheelsets, many use chunky rim strips which are often not included with the wheels, and add cost and weight. Also, UST tyres are heavier and more expensive, go for tubeless ready.

ianpinder

There really is only one wheelset for you if your going to the alps, heavy rider, and want to stick with pro2s….. Which are the flow rims. Stans crest rims are good, I’m getting a pair built up for light use but whilst they might be ok for a few jumps they won’t hold up to sustained abuse.

Flows will, and the pro2 wheelset comes in around 1850g

uplink

Are Flows “heavier” duty?

yeah, the Flow is a tough hoop of the family

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

bazzer

Is an Arch rim in between a Crest and a Flow ? Would this be ok for general XC/trail centre riding, with wheels off the ground but not major hucking ?

X819’s for the abuse and ease of UST. I also have a set of hopehoop crests on a lighter 1×9 and while everyone tells me they can hack some abuse every time I do anything dumb my mind and sphincter clench waiting for the collapse (85 kg and 10 inches of air is a victory for me). To date they have held up just fine, but it does take away some of the confidence. The X819’s on the other hand get completly abused without a second thought. Time may change my approach … or counciling!

Defo hopes, either flows or X819’s. If ur in Sheffield the bike tree carry a good stock and are great for honest advice.

geetee1972

MussEd

I have a set of Flow rims on Hope ProII rear and Chris King front that I’ve just put on the classifieds.

The weight for the pair is 1850g.

The wheels that I think meet your requirements the very best however are the Mavic Crossmax SX. As strong or stronger and stiffer than the Flow equivalents but 100g lighter.

They are a little more expensive though!

My Flow set of wheels are on at £289 including rim strips and tape.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

Crossmax ST here and i am a “stout” rider… been faultless from xc to Alps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless wheelset recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.