Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Tubeless Wheels
  • Ben_mw

I’m looking for some new wheels and intend to go down the route of a tubeless system such as Stans. However, I don’t want Stans/Hope purely because that’s what my wife uses, and our bikes are similar enough as it is.
    So, what are my options? LBS has recommended Bontrager wheels as a next best thing to the Stans/Hope, but I’ve never met anyone using them, or anything else really.

So, suggestions please.

Houns

Mavic 819

donks
    Free Member

Sorry Houns but i have to disagree, i have both the XT 775’s and the 819 mavics and without a doubt the XT wheels win hands down. I have actually only ever managed to inflate the damn 819’s with a compressor but can do the XT’s with a hand pump. So XT gets my vote.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Ben_mw

How about UST Crossmax !! – New or off eBay, You will never need to buy wheels again 🙂

Never had one puncture in the summer season, well sort off ?

Crossmax UST – Nobbys UST – A little Stans milk…..

scruff
    Free Member

819s for me. No problems whatsoever, strong and light enough.

postierich
    Free Member

819’s are my rim of choice as Big lad up there says strong and light!

Ben_mw

Thanks for the replys so far. Maybe I should point out that these are for a Hardtail, and whilst I’m no xc Whippet, I’m under 12 stone and ride fairly light, so maybe don’t need anything too burly.

donks
    Free Member

XT’s it is then…..

mintimperial

Blimey that’s a coincidence. Ben-mw, just texted you to sort out meeting up for a ride at some point, and it just so happens that I have a Bonty TLR wheel you can take a look at. Probably came from the same LBS, I suspect…

For the record, it’s a Rhythm Comp rear, it was really surprisingly easy to set up with a Mud-X and Stan’s sealant. Seems to go alright. Not really sure how it compares as I’ve not actually used any other tubeless wheels.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

819s.

Completely trouble-free for me (built onto Pro 2 hub).

Like donks, I also have a set of XT775s and, whilst mounting tyres is equally easy, the XT rear hub is shite and will develop play no matter what you do (this has happened to mine regularly over a 3 year period, despite regular, careful maintenance). Now at the point that the cups are badly pitted and the wheel is fit for the bin.

Avoid (unless you can get one built up onto a decent hub).

donks
    Free Member

Had my XT’s 3 years now and ride most days. Only ever had to change the freehub which aren’t cheap but no play and I’ve never touched the thing maintwise?? Luck of the draw I guess….bloody bearings needed changing on the hope though recently.

mboy
    Free Member

819’s are the business, and you can build them on any hub. Been using a set of 819’s or another for about 7 years now. I like my Stans rims too, but 819’s really are just the easiest way to go tubeless for sure, and they’re damned stiff.

XT wheels look very nice, but the M775 freehub is notoriously weak and expensive to replace. Also as many will argue, the cup and cone bearing system is not so forgiving of a lack of maintenance as cartridge bearing hubs, you can’t replace just the bearings in them if they get too worn! And 24 spoke only for XT, which is OK for skinny types riding XC but 32 spokes is better for about 95% of us out there…

The Bontrager wheels… Not heard bad things, but then not heard much at all! I’d worry though as just about every Bonty wheel I’ve ever seen has been 28 spoke, which means a right PITA if you ever need to replace a rim/spoke/hub etc…

I’m still all in favour of “normal” handbuilt wheels with 32 spokes and readily available spares. Wheelsets such as Bonty’s, XT’s or even Mavic Crossmax may look nice, but I know I can get a replacement rim or a spoke for my 32 hole wheels pretty much anywhere anytime… Same can’t be said of most wheelsets!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I should say that the front XT wheel is running as smooth and true as the day I got them, which is why the rear frustrates me so much.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 XT Used XT all year and still going strong – not even looked at them. Maxxis LUST go on and off easy and inflate every time. No faff. Tyres go up with a track pump 1st time.

M6TTF
    Free Member

819s are good but they sure as hell ain’t light! I’m weighing up crests and flows

snakebite
    Free Member

819s on my hardtail and Bonty s on the susser, both easy yo use, both o up with a track pump easily with Bonty tyres, LUST High Rollers etc…would steer clear of XT’S just cos of the freehub and cup/cone. my wifes bike has them and I’m forever tinkering adjusting….and the freehub is bloody expensive!

Ben_mw

Yeh, will steer clear of Shimano hubs, as generally I tend to think “oh, they’ll be ok for one more ride yet”, then end up with knackered hubs.
    Mint’s wheel looks like it’s going to be heavier than I’m looking for. Maybe I should have put a little more detail in the original post!
    So, no Shimano hubs, reasonably light weight and similar in price to Stans/Hope as that’s all the pennies I’ve saved.
    I’ve been told that the higher end Bontrager hubs are actually DT made, anyone know if this is true?

Mint – I’ll be in touch about riding,

njee20
    Free Member

819s are weighty, and before people start producing claimed weights that doesn’t include the spoke inserts, which add a chunk. Being UST they also don’t work as well with non-UST tyres, whilst using UST adds a massive chunk of weight.

Personally I say it’s a bit daft to not buy the best product because you don’t want to match your wife, I’d just get Hope Hoops with Crest rims.

Otherwise, something like Superstar hubs on Stan’s rims, you could use Alpines or something if you want them to be different!

househusband

I always thought that 819’s were the final word in UST/tubeless rims – until I got some Flows. I only use UST or tubeless (Specialized 2Bliss and Geax TNT) tyres and they have all been easier to inflate on the Flows than on the 819’s. Added to the fact that the Flows are cheaper/easier to build up I’d not bother with 819’s again – still running a wheelset with them but may change to Stans rims sometime.

(Have built two wheelsets with 819’s myself.)

WackoAK
    Free Member

Being UST they also don’t work as well with non-UST tyres

Explain that? No issues at all on mine using UST and non ust tyres.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

After experience with both Mavic UST rims and Stans rims, I have found it much easier just to plump for DT rims with Stans rubber strips. 3 years now on all 3 of my mountain bikes without a single puncture. I don’t even bother carrying a pump now… Just jinxed mself didn’t I?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s easier to inflate a non-UST tyre on a non-UST rim (although it’s becoming less of an issue as companies produce ‘tubeless ready’ style tyres) as the pronounced well on a UST rim tends to mean the more supple bead from a non-UST tyre will retreat down the well.

Not an issue with Stan’s, or other, non-UST rims. That’s having used UST rims with UST tyres, then with normal tyres, then using Stan’s rims, and having set up countless sets at work.

br
    Free Member

[video]I’ve 819’s too, as well as Stans equipped DT Swiss rims – they all work well for me.

What about Roval’s?

njee20
    Free Member

If you can find a set cheap they’re alright, but they’re now overpriced for what they are IMO.

spock
    Free Member

why not get pro 2’s on dt swiss 4.2?

mintimperial

Yeah, I wouldn’t have bought the Rhythm Comp if I’d had chance to think about it, but I wanted a replacement sharpish having knackered the stock one on my bike. I think the LBS just sorted me out with the cheapest reasonably burly thing they could get hold of quickly. It’s definitely overpriced for what it is.

The actual tubeless side of it is very easy to set up, though, that’s something in its favour. It’s much easier to get sorted than the plain Stan’s rim strip I have on my non-TLR front wheel. Makes a really satisfying BANG when the bead gets seated properly too.

I assume that the Bonty system works similarly on all their wheels, so you could always look at a lighter set further up the range – might be worth it if they’re built on DT hubs in disguise.

nickc

819s are weighty meanwhile back in the real world it’s not a massive issue. Mine built up are 1800 for the pair. UST 2.1 NN are 700g grams or so so not hugely weighty either…Unless you’re racing, at which point 819 are the wrong rims anyway.

Being UST they also don’t work as well with non-UST tyres because of course you buy a set of UST rims and then fit non UST tyres, wouldn’t you…

WackoAK
    Free Member

njee20 – do you mean running non ust tyres tubeless on 819’s? If so then I cannot comment as I’ve only used UST tyres for tubeless, if I use a non ust tyre I pop a tube in…

njee20
    Free Member

Nickc: UST carries a large weight penalty, which now sealants are pretty good, and with the increasing prevalence of tubeless ready tyres is basically unnecessary.

I wouldn’t go back to UST in a million years.

I’d have thought you with your ability to spin out 44/11 would appreciate not lugging around several pounds of totally pointless weight on the bike.

do you mean running non ust tyres tubeless on 819’s? If so then I cannot comment as I’ve only used UST tyres for tubeless, if I use a non ust tyre I pop a tube in…

Aye, something like Schwalbes, where the non-UST ones are 200g lighter, and hold air perfectly, if you want to run them tubeless they inflate far more easily on a Stan’s rim than a UST. They’re all tubeless ready for next year anyway. Like I say, now sealants work pretty well I don’t personally see the point in using full on UST tyres.

Ben_mw

Had never thought of DT rims, but they are UST?
    Looking like it’s going to be Stans/Hope after all, the Mrs will have to cope with folk thinking I’ve got here a cheaper version of my own bike! (Amazing how many people assume that being a girl, she couldn’t possibly have chosen her own spec and set up)!
    The big advantage for me is that Stans/Hope could be built in my LBS and experience of their wheels is very good.
    Thanks for all the pointers.
    (and I hate to say it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to buy Superstar)

Ben_mw

I’d have thought you with your ability to spin out 44/11 would appreciate not lugging around several pounds of totally pointless weight on the bike

Is that aimed at me?

scruff
    Free Member

UST, TLP, non ust no probs on 819s. Im currenly runninga Bonty TLR and std Michelin, all tubeless with sealant.

njee20
    Free Member

Is that aimed at me?

Nah, it was aimed at nickc! See the 1×9/2×9 thread for more!

Had never thought of DT rims, but they are UST?

Only Mavic rims are UST, no one else makes them. DT can be converted with a Stans-esque kit, or their own kit (which is made by Eclipse), but it’s a poor second to a Stan’s rim IMO.

I wouldn’t get your LBS to build them, just buy Hoops, so much cheaper, and the quality’s still very good.

UST, TLP, non ust no probs on 819s. Im currenly runninga Bonty TLR and std Michelin, all tubeless with sealant.

Didn’t say it couldn’t be done, but it’s easier to get non-UST tyres to seal on non-UST rims, which have the added advantage of weighing less. Unless you use UST tyres UST rims bring no advantages at all.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Wheels’ is closed to new replies.