Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tubeless weirdness – leaking at the bead any ideas!?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Righty sold my ex511 rims (30mm internal) took the tyres off to reuse

Maxxis minion dhf 2.6 3c approx 3 months old (still loads of tred)

Maxxis minion dhr2 3c approx 4/5 months old (still loads of tred)

Using muc off sealant which has worked perfectly as far as I can see on the ex511…

So transfer all above (Inc new muc off sealant) to my new sc reserve carbon (again 30mm)

And the sealant is leaking from the bead on the rim on both wheels both sides… As soon as the tyre compresses in a descent it leaves 3 or 4 lines of sealant dribbling down the tyre from bead to tred… Clean off repeat for every descent

Now when I was putting some more pressure in the rear tyre I pushed in the sidewall to grip the pump.. And low and behold every time you depress into the bead area no matter where on the rim the sealant starts to seep out

Now these are brand new wheels, tape is perfect and they are holding air, the popped and banged on and the line is the same all the way around the tyre

So only thing I can think is the bead is somehow loose or something from my old rims(even though the same internal 30mm)

Its lost quite a bit of tubeless sealant due to this so can’t just keep wiping it away

Any ideas!?

whitestone
    Free Member

Seems odd that sealant is escaping but not air.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have any penguins been seen in the vicinity?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yep no air loss, well nothing majorly obvious… I’d guess on compressionn of the tyres on the descents it’s losing a teeny tiny bit as the sealant gets out but god knows

Can’t understand why the bead would be loose yet it pops and bangs in to place and to remove the tyre you have press hard to release it from the locked jn position

linusr

Did you clean off the old, dry sealant from the tyre beads before fitting? It can only be the rim-bead interface. Remove tyres, clean beads and rim and reinstall. Add sealant and inflate to 40 psi and slosh the sealant around thoroughly and leave overnight. Then lower the tyre pressure to your preferred PSI.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Didn’t do anything with the old sealant tbh it was relatively new sealant too, but I did top it up when I reinstalled them just to make sure

Why would the old sealant affect the bead?

Never cleaned a tyre on the bead before tbh but worth doing if it means not buying new tyres

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I agree though it defo is the rim bead interface just couldn’t understand why

tthew

Are the new rims hookless? What pressure are you running?

kayak23

Why would the old sealant affect the bead?

It can tend to clag up a bit and sit on the bead or in the rim in lumps etc,  potentially causing sealing issues.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Tthew – yes the new reserve wheels I have are hook less beads?

30psi ish rear

21ish front

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thanks kayak never seemed an issue before but will give it a good clean and scrub see if I can get it like new

hooli

I have a similar issue that I plan to look at one evening this week. What do you guys use to clean old sealant from the bead and rim?

tthew

Hookless beads – maybe the beads are distorted a bit by the old hooks and now not sitting quite flat. Although you’re not running silly low pressure so I’d have thought that would hold them against the rim well enough.

Dunno, but the lack of a bead hook seems the only obvious difference.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers tthew – I think your likely onto something there tbh, can’t really be anything else, I’ll give the bead a clean but I’ve swapped used tyres hundreds of times before so I can’t see it being the sealant, but worth a shot

The only difference is the bead being hooked on old rims and hookless on new ones

Cheers for that

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Well tried a new tyre… Still the same

Even tried stans sealant instead of the muc off… Still the same

Pretty baffling really… You can here air escape with the stans as well as sealant when pushing down on the bead as it’s way thinner than muc off

Weird one emailed SC UK and there unaware of anything similar too

Guess I’ll just have to run it and hope it settles down itself somehow

hardtailonly

Have you tried re-taping the wheels, or adding another wrap of tape?

Leave wheels horizontal overnight then turn over and the same again?

Pure speculation, but does carbon have properties / a finished texture that means sealant doesn’t ‘bond’ to it when trying to seal small holes/leaks at the bead/rim interface? I presume not as there must be thousands of successful tubeless carbon wheels.

*Is it worth a very light sanding of fine Emery paper of the rim?

Sometimes tubeless is just odd. My gravel tyres/wheels took weeks and lots of riding to settle down and properly retain air without having to pump them up every other day … You might just have to keep at it and keep riding for a few days/weeks to let it settle down.

(*I have no idea whether this is a good idea, or whether it will substantially undermine the structural integrity of the wheel!)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hardtailonly – taped as standard from factory and looks to be spot on, its not leaking air anywhere (unless I push on the rim bead or tyre compresses alout when descending)

I can’t find a single report of my issue on any forums so something defo odd with my setup

I’m going to leave them horizontal and switch over over night see if that does anything

Really odd once the bead is locked into position no sealant should be escaping anywhere its suppose to be airtight and only really should be seeing any sealant if there’s a puncture or you burp the tyre, yet I can do it Under compression by hand..which is not normal at all, basically everytime the tyre compresses more than a fingers worth of strength on every descent this is happening over both wheels on both sides…

I’ll give it a few weeks to settle down and report back if it’s continuing or I end up losing all or most the sealant in those 2 weeks then I’ll be sending them back in for inspection

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless weirdness – leaking at the bead any ideas!?’ is closed to new replies.