• This topic has 19 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tubeless valve question?
  • bikemanspen
    Free Member

I’m in the middle off fitting the full standard stans kit to my dt 5.10 rims and I sawn to be loosing loads of air at the valve whilst pumping I’ve got the tape and strips on! Can anyone help?

Please…

everyone
    Free Member

I always give it a dunk in the stans before installing. Make sure it’s done up nice and tight as well.

curvature
    Free Member

Are the rims drilled the right size for the valve?

If the rims are drilled for shrader rather than presta then that would cause it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikemanspen
    Free Member

The rims were already drilled but I thought adding the tape would sort this?

I think I’m going to start again adding another layer of tape. Is this a good idea??

Oh the valves were in the rims trips so I didn’t really have a choice on those!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Are you sure the air isn’t coming out of the valve and not going into the tyre while you are pumping , as in the tyre beads aren’t covering both sides of the valve . That’s assuming that you have been unable to inflate the tyre . I don’t see how air can escape out of the valve if you have used tape and the rim strips supplied and fitted them properly.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

It’s escaping through where the lock ring is on the valve tbh the tape only just covered the rim holes width wise which I wasn’t happy with! I bought the standard kit which is specified for my bike for £45 and I’m not happy I failed on the first wheel 🙁

Northwind

The tape isn’t that important when you’re using rim strips, the strip itself is doing all the sealing- the tape’s just covering the holes. But if you’re leaking elswhere it’ll tend to come out at the valve because that’s where the big hole is.

I don’t want to say what your problem actually is, can’t say but it’s not the tape and it’s nothing to do with schrader or presta, just to rule those out. I’d double check that the rim strip is nicely in place first.

scaled
    Free Member

That could just be the easiest way out for the air. Check the rim strip hasn’t been folded over a bit when you put the tyre on.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

I’ll try the rim strip again tomorrow as I gave up earlier (beaten) the rims are quite deep and narrow with the tyres being really tight to get on! As I pump the air leaks out in quite a few places put comes out of the valve hole most. It’s depressing to say the least.

Thanks for your input tho guys

spooky_b329

Use a file to cut the tape cleanly at the valve hole, don’t cut a cross and leave the flaps/part of the flaps as it will leak.

Take out the rimstrip and put a tube in overnight. It will help push the yellow tape tight into the rim well.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Is it possible to stick so more tape over the valve bit then cut out more cleanly? Although tbh I made a small hole then pushed the valve through! Or should I redo all the rim tape?

I also used some soapy water to install the rim strip was this a good idea?

Thanks for the tips ect…

Kip

For once I can actually give some proper tech advice on something instead of just giving opinion!

The air is probably coming out of the hole around the valve because you haven’t nipped the lock ring up enough. The rubber bit on the valve inside the rim is designed to fill the gaps but if the compound is quite hard it may not deform enough to seal it initially. I had to use pliers to get it tight enough on our test rig when we were testing the new tubeless valves we were looking to distribute. It was the first time I’ve gone tubeless and found it massively demoralising until we got it sorted.

It’s really hard to fully inflate the tyre with air leaking out at the rate we had (and it sounds like you have) and so the sealant doesn’t go where you want it to go for long enough without the tyre going down. Once the lock ring was ultra tight we had no problems inflating the tyre.

The trick is to back the lock ring off a little so it’s finger tight once the tyres have sealed, otherwise you’re knackered if you do need to put a tube in.

I also found that hammering the bike around Cwm Carn seated the tyres nicely and now they hardly lose air at all. So chuffed with the valves and sealant that we are going to distribute them!

Sits back with brew and biscuits and waits for the collective to tell her she’s wrong…….

Edit: check out PinkBike.com – Technical Tuesday: Tubeless Conversion for a really clear How to video that also says how long it could take to get it to work. The valve lock ring thing I suggest is from personal experience not PinkBike.

matther01
    Free Member

Had this before. I put plenty stans fluid in and pumped up and heard and saw the stans escaping at the valve hole at the lock ring. I just kept shaking and shaking…repumping and shaking until the stans eventually sealed it all up. I also used a flat plastic object to really push the valve down and tightened the lock ring really tight which also helped.

matther01
    Free Member

On another note…I do hate the stans/superstar valves for this reason. American classic valves are friggin amazing with rubber o ring making it all air tight straight away. Why they only make them in red is beyond me?!

bikemanspen
    Free Member

I’m going to try again tomorrow with my new knowledge cheers guys

scaled
    Free Member

I’m not sure that’s great advice if you’ve got the valves built in to the rim strip.

Yeah, valves + tape need the lock ring nipping up pretty tight. If you do that with the rim strip valves you risk ripping the valve out of the strip and through the hole in the rim.

Id suggest making one if the 9p tubeless inflators, worth the effort for tubeless.

shortcut

Are you sure you need rim strips with DT rims? Yellow tape and valves should do it.

matther01
    Free Member

^^^+1 Don’t think my crossrides are tubeless ready but worked fine with one layer of tubeless tape and valves.

Northwind

Those rims definitely do need a rim strip- I succesfully mounted a tyre using just tape but with 40psi in it I could push it off the bead with my thumbs. Never rode it, not brave enough 😆

Ttightness of valve nut isn’t relevant, these parts don’t use it to make the seal like standalone or removable valves do.

I think maybe some folks have misunderstood and don’t realise you’re using a rim strip with a fixed valve? Some of this advice is yellow-tape specific and not applicable here.

Kip

Ah, Northwind you may be right! It was late and I didn’t have chance to check out rim strips with valve attached.

I have no experience of them at all and my advice is based purely on using yellow tape and a standalone valve with removable core.

Good luck Bikemanspen, I’d be interested to find out what worked for you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless valve question?’ is closed to new replies.