Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tubeless tyres turned out not to be tubeless. Help…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just bought some specialized eskar elite armadillo tyres from the classifieds. I specifically asked if they were the 2bliss version but when they arrived they weren’t. What do I need to set them up as tubeless. They are going on crossmax st’s so rims are UST. I have valves etc. Is it easy to get them set up tubeless or is it better to just send them back?

loddrik
    Free Member

Any tubeless guru’s about…?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d try them on the rims and see what happened. Most of my tyres are not tubeless specific, I just put Stan’s fluid in them and pump them up (sometimes with the help of a CO2 cartridge to get them to mount). Once they are on the rim, just shake the wheel about to distribute the sealant which should plug any leaks and then reinflate to replace any air that was lost while they were sealing.

I would have thought that you would be able to get them to work OK even though they are not tubeless specific.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

They’ll work fine, just add some latex – although IME trying to tubeless used tyres is hit or miss.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

i think the difference is that the tubeless ready tyres have got a better seal, so if thats the case then im guessing you would probaly need a bit more stans in the tyre to make sure it seals everywhere.

ive not used non tubeless tyres but i no riders who have and say they work.
    also non tubeless tyres the sidewalls arnt probaly up to much.

DezB
    Free Member

Never used non-tubeless tyres with my Crossmax, so I’d send them back. But that’s because the sidewalls will be too flimsy.

mrhoppy

I’ve run non tubeless tyres on my tubeless set up with no problems. Seat the tyre using a tube, deflate and pop one side to remove the tube/fit the valve, pump it up to seat the tyre again. Then remove the valve core, put in a bit more fluid than normal, refit the core, inflate and then do the hippy hippy shake to spread the fluid around.

MarkN
    Free Member

None of the tyres that I use are tubeless yet they have all gone on fine, either Bonty TLR or ghetto. Second hand/used tyres may have nicks and cuts to the carcass that will make it tricky for the seating of the bead first time round.

CaptainSlow

I’ve not used spesh tyres before but double check that they’re listed on the notubes site as convertible. They’ve tested the beads on a ton of tyres.

Aside from the bead being strong enough, soapy water (really soapy), latex (pref stans), a brush and a track pump should be all you’ll need (assuming ust rims). If you are feeling lazy, use a compressor or co2.

I ran standard SB8s tubless for a while. They were awesome but a complete pig to do the first inflate and took a while to seal the very porous sidewalls..

Post pics. Sounds like this could be something that may enter stw folklore.

DezB
    Free Member

I ran standard SB8s tubless for a while. They were awesome but a complete pig to do the first inflate and took a while to seal the very porous sidewalls..

Blimey, good work! The UST ones are hard enough to seat!

D0NK

I mounted a none tubeless tyre on an 819 yonks ago, a foam draft excluder strip in the rim groove and going crazy on the trackpump eventually got them up.

Shredded the tyre 15mins into first ride, hey ho. Pretty sure I mounted other none tubeless later tho.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i run non tubeless tires tubeless on stans Various tires across the years with absolutely ZERO issues.

2bliss is not UST

2bliss is just spesh marketing. you still need sealant.

Kahurangi

Agree with traik_rat.

IME (from using bonty TLR and having a look at 2bliss and various others)

‘tubeless ready’ generally have a better bead for sealing – it might be more accurately dimensioned, have a smooth surface and a tackier rubber over the bead.

I’ve had zero issues inflating Bonty TLR with a track pump. I’d be tempted to try inflating these without any sealant and see if you have any joy. If they won’t go up at all, send them back. Yes, having sealant in the tyre does help you get the tyre mounted, but you can try it without sealant first.

Northwind

trail_rat – Member

2bliss is just spesh marketing

Nah, not at all, tubeless ready/tlr is a meaningful distinction from both UST and from “might work tubeless, might not”. 2bliss beads up and seals easier than most, but also, if it won’t play ball you can return it, not an option with standard tyres run tubeless.

I run standard and tlr tyres, very happily with both but tlr takes the doubt away- I’ve had a small number of standard tyres that wouldn’t bead reliably and a couple that never fully sealed.

D0NK

2bliss beads up and seals easier than most, but also, if it won’t play ball you can return it,

really? Who offers that? LBS, spesh, other tyre manufacturers?

2bliss is not UST

I’d assumed OP knew that

Northwind

D0NK – Member

really? Who offers that? LBS, spesh, other tyre manufacturers?

Anyone who advertises as tubeless ready- just standard fitness for purpose

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Use tubeless on 3 bikes. 2 with standard folders. 1 with TLR Schwalbes. Of course the one with most problems were the TLR Schwalbes – multiple small leaks in the carcass.

Kahurangi

Of course the one with most problems were the TLR Schwalbes – multiple small leaks in the carcass.

Yeah, I think all/most tubeless ready tyres use the same carcass but different bead.

My tubeless ready Schwalbe’s also refused to go up (both needed CO2 to mount – one sealed, the other appeared to mount but leaked air from the bead rapidly) so they got sold.

boxfish
    Free Member

I use TLR Spesh/Schwalbe with Stans jism on a mixture of Flows/Light-Bicycle/DTSwiss rims. All have inflated with a track pump, sometimes after using a tube to initially seat the bead. I did send a Racing Ralph back to the retailer, though that was due to it being warped. Most TLR tyres take a ride or two to properly distribute the sealant too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyres turned out not to be tubeless. Help…’ is closed to new replies.