Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • tubeless tyre seating problem…..
  • sadexpunk

not specifically related to tubeless, but its part of the problem im having.

bought some gorilla tape instead of the yellow tape, wrapped it round the rim, tightened the valve into place and tried to seat the tyres (kenda nevegals). they were the worst tyres ive ever tried to seat. even with the tyre bead seated in the centre, they nearly bust my levers getting them on. at one point i thought i was stuck. couldnt get the lever into the last bit to either seat it, or strip it!!

anyway, few trial blow ups, and onto the real thing. gunk through the valve, 9p pop bottle does its job perfectly, up goes the tyre. trouble is, when i roll it on the skewers to check for round, its not. its blown up, but not seated right. if i look at the lines along the tyre, theres always one bit thats just too far into the rim and makes the tyre off centre.

ive let the tyre down a few times, tried to make it as central as poss, blown it up a bit at a time, but as soon as theres a fair bit of air in there, some parts come out more than others.

any tips/tricks for a successful conclusion? (and dont say buy yellow tape, im pretty sure this stuffs about the same thickness, and others use it successfully. i dont think this is the prob)

retro83
    Free Member

did you lube the bead/rim with soap suds?

sadexpunk

yep.

wwaswas

Take the pressure up higher – I’ve gone up to 60psi on some tyres to get them to seat properly.

[do not lean over the wheel whilst doing this – I tend to put the wheel one side of an open door and run the pump hose around to the other just in case it all goes bang]

Oh, and try and work out how you’ll fix a flat that the gunk won’t seal when on the trails before it happens…

sadexpunk

60???? blimey! ill try again tomorrow and see what occurs if i start raising it, see if it looks like its gonna shift.

and yes, i did think about how im gonna get them off when the time comes! hopefully they wont need to come off before theyre worn down, then i can use some industrial tools to get em off! 😀

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I have had to resort to a small compressor to get some of my tighter tyres to locate & inflate. Co2 cartridges just wouldn’t do it.

I have had to pump them right up to to locate & have also managed to blow them off the rim! An almighty deafening bang (that leaves you temporarily deaf) and covered in splurge…..

I have also bought some new tougher Park tools tyre levers for on the fly emergencies….

retro83
    Free Member

As wwaswas says, be motherflipping careful pumping the tyres up that high if you’re not confident they’re properly on … !
    I’m still finding latex in surprising places after a tyre I had surreptitiously stashed in the bathroom went bang in the middle of the night!

Also had a Nobby Nic at 50psi blow up in my garage last week, that went with a bit of a pop too. 🙂

DK
    Free Member

oops!
    …my non UST minion went straight up to 90psi on my superstar AM… and stayed there all night.

I assumed it had located correctly then let it down to a comfy 35.

sods law, ripped sidewall wide open first ride :/
    no gunk can fix that!

matther01
    Free Member

I really struggled getting my Hans dampf on my 28mm rims and seating them was really tough…soap suds, inner tube then removal, high pressure etc…everything.

Then I heard of a trick which is to gt85 all the way round the rim/tyre and blow up to between 40-50psi and leave it…worked a treat everytime since.

I always put a heavy duty towel over the tyre too just in case it explodes!

sadexpunk

Then I heard of a trick which is to gt85 all the way round the rim/tyre and blow up to between 40-50psi and leave it…worked a treat everytime since.

really? hmmm….. worth a try tho. ill let you know how it goes 🙂

I always put a heavy duty towel over the tyre too just in case it explodes!

definitely. i had one explode on me a few years back. badger moment! 😀

sadexpunk

you guys are great!! 🙂

in the end i didnt need the GT85. it was still up from yesterday, so i covered it in a big sheet and started with the track pump. it only needed to go up to just over 40psi and 2 pops from under the sheet. had a look and its seated now 🙂

thanks a lot chaps. hope i never need to take it off now!

ulvaskar
    Free Member

I am also struggling with my tube less conversions Schwalbe NN (non ust). So far I have just used tape + valve so far. Blew the tire off the rim with compressor and now the tire bead seems to be a little bit stretched.
    Can I save the tire and stil go tube less by using the stans rim strip rather than only tape ?
    And if not, could I even use the tire safely with a tube?
    Think I have to start looking at the pressure gauge more next time….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘tubeless tyre seating problem…..’ is closed to new replies.