Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless tyre repair patching
  • phil5556

I have a nearly brand new tyre, I think my wife rode on it for a day, which previously went down overnight. At the time I just put another tyre on as we had a spare with us on holiday.

I think I’ve found a small hole (although surprised it didn’t seal) – are the stick on patches worth using? If so I’ll patch it and put it on a spare wheel to see if it stays up.

Any recommendations what to use?

Cheers

jam-bo

Anchovies work well, and I’ve had some in long term

The mushroom plugs if I can be bothered to take the tyre off and clean it up.

Tracey

If you are removing it then 3mm mushroom plugs all the way. Can be had of ebay for not alot of money.
    I had three holes in the rear tyre a couple of weeks ago, one sealed with Stans and the other two plugged trailside with a Dynaplug.
    Once home it was repaired with mushroom plugs and is back on the bike

Northwind

Mushrooms are the best repair, patches can work well too on small holes and especially near the bead where you can’t use a mushroom. You want the old-school patches with the tube of goop, not self-adhesives.

The main thing is, when you’re patching from the inside, air pressure isn’t a problem as it’s pushing the repair onto the hole not pushing it off. So all you really need is to be airtight, compliant with the tyre, and reliably not falling off.

phil5556

Cheers I’ve just ordered a tin of glue and some mushrooms 👍

zippykona

Mushrooms are brilliant. I love doing a job knowing that it’s going to work.

igm

When using mushrooms I let them cure overnight inflated with an inner tube and using some grease proof paper it prevent the tube sticking to the tyre/plug.

Means the plug cures in the right shape nicely clamped to the tyre.

Tracey

I’m totally opposite. Once the plugs in and I’m satisfied it’s stuck down well it’s straight onto the rim. Stans put back in through the valve and popped on with the compressor. Once its at the right pressure I trim the plug back and ready to ride. Never let me down yet.
    That’s all the tyre fitters do with a car or motorcycle although they won’t repair a sidewall which I will 😉

phil5556

I’ll let you know how successful I am 😁

zippykona

One I did earlier.null

singlespeedstu

especially near the bead where you can’t use a mushroom.

You can still use mushrooms near the bead.
    Just wait until its stuck down then trim the overlap to the shape of the bead.
    Works just as well as anywhere else on the tyre.

Tracey

My photo has a repair on the edge of the bead. As said just trim it down.

singlespeedstu

Your pic looks just like the one I repaired yesterday Tracey.
    Top hole in the edge of the tread and bottom hole in the bead.
    Repaired loads like that and all been fine.

Northwind

singlespeedstu

You can still use mushrooms near the bead.

I mean right at the rim edge, can you patch that with a small mushroom? Never actually tried but my normal ones are too chunky.

(patches there work so well that I’ve never tried anything else)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre repair patching’ is closed to new replies.