Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Tubeless tyre fitting; have I been overcharged by LBS?
  • philjunior
    Free Member

What this thread makes me wonder part 2:

Whose rims last longer than the tubeless tape? I know modern rims and disc brakes keep them going longer, but I’ve several moderately dented rims still on their original wrap, can’t see rim tape removal being an issue. Maybe I’m missing something as my longest running one is on rubber rim stops and second longest has a no tape required Mavic rim. Or do people just re-wrap for fun?

chiefgrooveguru

I recently had to rewrap my rims when I changed the valves to Rimpact ones and they they kept leaking around the valve holes. Rims are almost four years old, Stans Flow EX. I’ve only ever used proper rim tape on them – although having used the clear Gorilla tape for other purposes (including a temporary iphone screen repair) I can see it would work well if the width was right.

weeksy

Sometimes mine have needed a re-wrap due to using the much maligned Gorilla tape. Reason is when you pull the tyre off it deforms the edge of the tape too. So you need to re-tape it.

It takes <10 mins all in, so i care very little.

akira

Communication is a fairly common problem that runs both ways.
    Customer brings bike in for job.
    If it’s going to cost more you email and call customer, who doesn’t respond and then gets annoyed the work hasn’t been done.
    Or
    You do the work and customer gets annoyed it’s a higher price than quoted.

bigyan
    Free Member

What this thread makes me wonder part 2:

Whose rims last longer than the tubeless tape? I know modern rims and disc brakes keep them going longer, but I’ve several moderately dented rims still on their original wrap, can’t see rim tape removal being an issue. Maybe I’m missing something as my longest running one is on rubber rim stops and second longest has a no tape required Mavic rim. Or do people just re-wrap for fun?

Common reasons;
    Replacing a broken spoke/nipple
    Rim tape damaged by tyre lever
    Re doing a bad tape job

noltae
    Free Member

Clear Gorilla failed for me – And I always use regular Gorilla with zero issues ..

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre fitting; have I been overcharged by LBS?’ is closed to new replies.