Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • tubeless & spare inner tubes – do I really need one these days
  • julians
    Free Member

In the early days of tubeless, if you got a puncture that the latex wouldnt seal, you just put in the spare tube that you carried.

Now we have tyre anchovies/plugs to seal bigger holes, and they seem very effective in my experience. I havent had a flat that the latex or a tyre plug wouldnt seal. So do I still need to carry an inner tube around?

Have you had a puncture that only a new inner tube fixed, ie it couldnt be fixed with a plug or the latex goo.

ocrider

Tore the sidewall of my rear tyre in the first special of an enduro last month. Without an inner tube I wouldn’t have finished, let alone make it to the start of the sp2.

nuke

Depends on my riding…if its a local 2-3hr loop then I prefer to ride with nothing working on the basis that if i do end up having a mechanical or tubeless fail, i may end up walking home but it’ll be very rare so just suck it up.

If its a big ride (3hr +) then I’ll take spare inner tube but I’ll probably be taking a pack anyway with a bit of grub and a few more tools.

Did a big xc the other week and i did tear the sidewall of my racing Ralph so did pay off to have an inner tube

scotroutes

If it’s a long ride then I’ll still take 2 tubes.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I havent had a flat that the latex or a tyre plug wouldnt seal. So do I still need to carry an inner tube around?

You’ve kind of answered your own question there. I haven’t had any situation in the last decade where carrying a tube would have been helpful, so I don’t bother. Obviously it depends where you are riding and the consequences of potentially having to walk out. Our local trails are not rocky, so sidewall tears are extremely unlikely. I just carry a Dynaplug Racer kit and micro-pump and don’t bother with a tube or tyre levers. I’m usually close enough to the car that even if I did rip a sidewall out I would prefer to simply walk out and fit a new tyre at home rather than mess around with tubes and sealant mess on the trail.

dc1988

I’ve slashed tyres beyond what a tubeless plug can fix, hasn’t happened frequently but I still carry a tube just incase.

I have just purchased one of those Tubolito lightweight inner tubes, much smaller and lighter than a standard tube. Although they’re a bit pricey I figure I’d be spending considerably more to save that sort of weight on a component.

julians
    Free Member

Thanks for the viewpoints, confirms my suspicions that I don’t need a tube these days apart from the long rides miles from anywhere where I would have a back pack anyway in order to carry a drink, so it’s no bother carrying a tube.

I will go ‘full enduro’ and mainly just ride with a multitool, some tyre plugs and some co2 strapped to my bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d feel naked without one.

Not had to use for a couple of years but it’s like a talisman.

twonks

Since going tubeless I’ve never felt the need to carry a tube. Seems to defeat one of the main objects imho.

Always have a tubeless repair kit when going more than an hour away from the car/home but to my mind the punctures I did get back in the day were all thorn or similar related.

Maybe the tubeless has saved me a few times from this – I don’t know and never check tyres when they are replaced but, I’d imagine the first thing a tube would do is get punctured from 37 thorns or similar.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I will go ‘full enduro’ and mainly just ride with a multitool, some tyre plugs and some co2 strapped to my bike.

Unless you are racing, I would take a micro-pump instead of CO2. Gives you more options to get the pressure right etc.

julians
    Free Member

Unless you are racing, I would take a micro-pump instead of CO2. Gives you more options to get the pressure right etc.

I’ve got a lezyne co2 head that has an adjustable ‘tap’ so I can get the. Pressure just right, it actually seems really good and very effective.

ajantom

Always carry one, and though I’ve never had need for it personally (though I’ve been close once or twice), it’s got mates out of a hole.
    So without it I’d have had to either leave a friend behind to walk home, or had to have cut the ride short.

Moral is carry a tube, unless you know you’ll definitely be able to borrow one, because the time will eventually come!

moshimonster
    Free Member

Moral is carry a tube, unless you know you’ll definitely be able to borrow one, because the time will eventually come!

If you take that approach, there are a load of other things you would also feel compelled to carry on every ride. I draw the line at things that I’ve never had to use for years and wouldn’t cause any serious consequences anyway. Tubes have long been in that category for me. Basically since tubeless repair kits became a thing.

cookeaa

It sort of depends on the consequences, strictly speaking most of my MTB rides I’m not actually that likely to be stuck miles from home/car, so a flat that can’t be fixed by sealant or plugs would not be a proper disaster.

However, if I don’t habitually keep a spare tube strapped to the bike I can almost guaranteed that the one time it’s more than just a short walk back, I’ll have forgotten to strap it on.

So (IME) it’s easier to keep certain emergency items permanently attached to the bike, rather than run the risk of forgetting something vital on that 1 in 1000 occasion that I really need it…

argee

Seen a couple that sealant wouldn’t repair, and too small for the bacon strips, remember any type of rim damage or damage to the bead will tend to mean it’ll not stay inflated.

I don’t race or go that fast, so carry inner tubes, bacon strips, CO2 and a pump, as almost always someone needs something on group rides!

jam-bo

I tend not to carry a spare tube but then I generally ride loops where a rare walk out wouldn’t be that significant.

whitedog149
    Free Member

I feel naked, too if I don’t bring one. I always bring them, but until now I almost never use them on my ride (mostly short ride).

ajantom

If you take that approach, there are a load of other things you would also feel compelled to carry on every ride

Not really, tube us the only thing that springs to mind.
    Even without a tube you’d take tubeless repair bits, pump or co2, and probably a minitool of some description. Is a tube and levers that much more hassle?

If you don’t then it’s either a walk back or scrounge off a mate/passing stranger.

You may have never had the need, but I’d guarantee you will one day.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I carry one but I seem to lend out tubes and pump to other people.

I have CO2 also but carry pump as it’s pretty good one and fine for a slow puncture that’s in the process of sealing so don’t want to waste CO2. Though I now have boxes of CO2 sitting unused as I don’t use them much (buying in bulk was cheaper 😀 ). Was using them to seat tubeless but I’ve got the knack of using a track pump now.

Last couple of times I used a tube as a get-me-home with rim damage. One cracked, one with a nail through the rim seat (both carbon. Not using carbon rims again).

Otherwise I’ve managed to fix more dramatic holes with anchovy type things, but rarely get noticeable punctures.

hardtailonly

Yes. Always carry a tube. Or two. Depends where and how long I’m riding … Big day out (gravel or FS), two tubes. Local <2 hour loops, still one tube. Yes, the shorter local loops wouldn’t be too much of a faff to walk home, but I’m usually on a deadline to be home / pick up the kids so don’t want to be hanging about if something goes wrong.

hardtailonly

I guess for me, the main advantage of tubeless are sealing small holes (thorns etc) that, before tubeless, might have caused a puncture 2-3 times at worst (especially in hawthorn-trimming season), and in being able to run lower pressures. Less weight is a minor benefit so tend to carry a tube anyway.

duckers
    Free Member

An issue with putting a tube in a well used tubeless setup – there could be thorns/items still stuck in the tyre that will pop the tube as soon as you put it in, so check the tyre inner surface first!

bear-uk
    Free Member

Tube for me on days away but chance a mate having a tube if anything drastic happens locally. Still considering a needle and thread for sidewall rips but a tube seems a damn site quicker.

Caher

I carry a tube. Day after I went tubeless for the first time, slashed the tyre and with my lack of experience had to use the tube to get home.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve needed the inner tube that I carry with me and would’ve had a long push without it.

Northwind

I’ve given away more than I’ve used myself, thinking about it. But I had tubes save at least one ride and a race day.

I’ve had to add air more than I’ve had to fit the tube, though, and once you’ve got a pump you might as well have a tube.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I always carry one. Ever since my mate & me had to be rescued by Torridon Mountain Rescue.
    I actually did have a tube with me but could NOT get the valve lockring off to put the tube in. Now I carry some small pliers & a tube. Previously in 25 years of riding I’d never needed pliers!

(tyre had a sidewall split, I had some spare sidewall but needed the tube in as well obs)

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Call me a miserable git if you like but if I am riding with someone who needs a tube and hasn’t got one with him then I am reluctant to lend him the one that I carry with me on every ride and haven’t needed for over 3 years .

doug_basqueMTB.com

I had two last week that wouldn’t seal with a plug. One needed a boot and a tube, the other I got to seal with two plugs and two zip ties round the tyre to stop the plug shooting back out! I always carry two tubes.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘tubeless & spare inner tubes – do I really need one these days’ is closed to new replies.