Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Tubeless set up. what are the benifits ?
  • cubexms2011
    Free Member

just a quick question i have been thinking of moving over to tubeless no tubes rhyno strips looking about 50quid or so but ive been riding for about 8mths now on schwalbe inner tubes and fat alberts and not had a puncture so would this be a waste of time. your help would be much appriciated thanks

RealMan
    Free Member

Can run lower pressures without pinch flatting.

A huge majority of punctures will seal.

Can be lighter as you don’t have a tube.

Less rolling resistance due to not having a tube to deform – only slightly.

More grip as you don’t have a tube to deform – only slightly.

Think they ride better, but that might be bollocks.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have been using UST wheelsets for about ten years now. Before I used to get at least a puncture a week using regular tubes and tyres after converting to tubeless I get one a year. I also think you get better traction with tubeless as the tyre can deform to the terrain better.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

cubexms2011
    Free Member

thanks guys for the info im not convinced that its worth spending 50 quid on at the moment what do you class as lower pressures and will they seal 100% or do they leak when not in use

daver27
    Free Member

in my experience, the (small) benefits do not outweigh the negatives.
    sure you can run 5 psi less, the wheel will weigh 50g less and you may never pinch puncture (I think they are the only stated performance benfits, although are bragging rights a benefit?).

BUT

you have to faff around with sealant, Messy.
    UST tyres cost more, Sealant costs more.
    You either need Co2 canisters, a compressor or Popeye to inflate the tyres fast enough to pop them on the rim.
    You have to wait a a good few hours after fitting a tyre for it to have sealed enough to ride on and it will go down constantly for a few weeks till the sealant has filled all the porous bits of the tyre.
    if the pressure is too low, or the tyre sidewall or bead too flexible, it can burp, roll off the rim etc, this requires you to use (shock Horror!) a tube to repair it on the trail, so you get all your riding kit, hands and bike covered in sealant.
    You can’t just swap tyres over before a ride if needs be.
    I’ve tried it 3 or 4 times over the years and have NEVER been convinced its worth it or that i can feel any difference on the trail, and i have used UST rims, UST tyres, Stans rims and strips and normal tyres etc.

Some people swear by it, i say save the money.

mrh86

Think it depends on what you ride and where. On my hardtail, riding in the lakes (rocky), I think it was definitely worth it. One puncture in over a year of riding (and that was on the first ride where i slashed a fairly big hole in the tyre).

One bit of advice though – don’t brag to your riding mates that you’re running tubeless and you wont puncture anymore…..cos guess what….you will

chojin
    Free Member

I’ve just made the jump to tubeless after years with tubes, I’ll let you know what I think next week 🙂

JoB
    Free Member

in my experience, the benefits outweigh the (small) negatives.

you can run more than 5 psi less, the wheel will weigh 50g less and you will never pinch puncture (but these are not the only stated performance benefits).

you have to faff around with sealant, it can be messy, but the faff is considerably less than the faff of countless punctures on the trail, in the wind and rain and mud.
    UST tyres cost money, sealant costs money, tubes and repair kits also cost money.
    You sometimes need Co2 canisters or a compressor to pop them on the rim, sometimes they’ll pop on with a track pup, it depends.
    You don’t have to wait a a good few hours after fitting a tyre for it to have sealed enough to ride on although it might sometimes go down for a a day or two till the sealant has filled all the porous bits of the tyre, on a par with a slow leaking thorn puncture in a normal tube.
    i’ve heard stories of if the pressure is too low, or the tyre sidewall or bead too flexible, it can burp, roll off the rim etc, this requires you to use (shock Horror!) a tube to repair it on the trail, so you get all your riding kit, hands and bike covered in sealant, although i’ve never seen this happen in a decade of riding.
    You don’t need to swap tyres over before a ride because the lower tyre pressures give you more grip in most conditions, you swap tyres at the start of winter and the start of summer.
    I’ve tried it once about ten years ago and have been COMPLETELY convinced its worth it because i can feel the difference on the trail, and i have used UST rims, UST tyres, Stans rims and strips and normal tyres etc.

Some people swear at it, i say spend the money.

Just for balance 🙂

jedi

i been using tubeless for a few weeks now and loving the feel 🙂 🙂

amt27
    Free Member

been running tubeless for 18 months, just a warning, there are lots of on going costs,
    you will have to top up with sealant, the sealant goes off in the bottle once opened in my experience, so a new bottle say every 6 months at least, valve seals perish so need replacing, yellow tape is ruined if you replace spokes so you need to buy that,

IanW
    Free Member

Tubeless feels better and works better.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Try this site for information.
    olivers yes tubes.

rickmeister

UST tyres and rims here… and working well for both of us on all our bikes…. less successful with ghetto conversions or rim strip kits.

Nobby Nic and Mavic rims… both fit with a track pump and the usual sealant. I carry a tube and a tyre boot. Very few punctures in the years I have been using them here and abroad. Been very reliable, even in places where reliability is a factor (Morocco).

Tubeless ready dont work for me on the Mavic rims I have for some reason, so back to full UST. Buy tyres from nextday tyres,com…

No one mentioned repairs with tubeless without taking teh wheel off yet either… as its been a big bonus for fast repairs… especially in bad weather….

HTH

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me the biggest advantage would be the resistance to thorn punctures – but we don’t have much hawthorn hedging around here.

I have seen tubeless tyres roll off rims, burp and puncture several times which then becomes and utter pain to deal with and as a serial tyre changer who does not get many punctures it simply is not worth it to me.

If you can’t change a tube in an ordinary tyre quickly then its s skill worth learning

slimjim78
    Free Member

im torn on this one, i recently switched to tubeless on a combination of UST rim (rear) and rim strip (front), and have had real trouble getting tyres to inflate without the use of a local garage’s compressor(!)
    Ive also been covered in sealant twice on the trail when hurriedly having to sort a split tyre (by inserting a tube, ironic indeed).

However, Its only a small difference, but I swear the bike has better ‘feel’ when running tubeless. Im certain the grip is better too, certainly when hooking into loose terrain uphill.

Ive also literally heard about half a dozen punctures self heal whilst riding, and that puts a big smile on your face.

Plus, reducing rotation weight of your wheels is where youll most notice a weight saving.

So for me, tubeless just about swings it.
    Going to have to splash out on a compressor though, but ive been looking for an excuse to buy one for ages. Not being able to easily change tyres on a whim is a bummer though, but its not like I did that very often.

donks
    Free Member

Punctures plain and simple.
    I use my bike for everything and on the road or cycle ways around the city I can avoid the grief of punctures altogether.
    Just remember to top up the sealant one every couple of months and you can’t go wrong.

rickmeister

Jim, unless you need a compressor for other things, the co2 cartridges are pretty good value on ebay….

rob-jackson
    Free Member

daver27 – Member

in my experience, the (small) benefits do not outweigh the negatives.
    sure you can run 5 psi less, the wheel will weigh 50g less and you may never pinch puncture (I think they are the only stated performance benfits, although are bragging rights a benefit?).

BUT

you have to faff around with sealant, Messy. True
    UST tyres cost more, Sealant costs more. False as UST tyres are not required and how can 50ml of sealent cost more than a tube?
    You either need Co2 canisters, a compressor or Popeye to inflate the tyres fast enough to pop them on the rim. False, done mine with a mountain morph pump when on a ride
    You have to wait a a good few hours after fitting a tyre for it to have sealed enough to ride on and it will go down constantly for a few weeks till the sealant has filled all the porous bits of the tyre. Completely false
    if the pressure is too low, or the tyre sidewall or bead too flexible, it can burp, roll off the rim etc, this requires you to use (shock Horror!) a tube to repair it on the trail, so you get all your riding kit, hands and bike covered in sealant. or even just put the tyre back on?? In 5 years of tubeless this has never happened to me
    You can’t just swap tyres over before a ride if needs be.Why ever not, tyre on, sealent in, pump up, ride!!
    I’ve tried it 3 or 4 times over the years and have NEVER been convinced its worth it or that i can feel any difference on the trail, and i have used UST rims, UST tyres, Stans rims and strips and normal tyres etc.Obviously have monkey hands and not doing it correctly

Some people swear by it, i say save the money.

saladdodger
    Free Member

for my 2p’s worth

Getto tubeless works well

Specialized 2bliss tyres seal and inflate easily with a track pump

Kenda / schwable non tubeless ready are a pain to get to seal infact near impossable (for me)

much better er “feel” realy noticed when I rippped the sidewall of a tyre sealant sprayed all over the place and I had to use a tube to get me home ( the bike felt bloody awful)

Is it worth doing??

For me yes

slimjim78
    Free Member

Kenda / schwable non tubeless ready are a pain to get to seal infact near impossable (for me)

could be my problem as ive had a nightmare getting racing ralphs to seat, however, one pair are 2.3″ so theres a high initial volume required.

Jim, unless you need a compressor for other things, the co2 cartridges are pretty good value on ebay…

are those cartridges any good for seating a tyre then? even the local petrol station pump couldnt get one of my tyres to seat despite copious fairy liquid solution and tyre slapping. I cant see how a cartridge would have enough blast for some tyres. May give one a go though.

You either need Co2 canisters, a compressor or Popeye to inflate the tyres fast enough to pop them on the rim. False, done mine with a mountain morph pump when on a ride

You got lucky.

In my very limited experience, non-UST & some ‘tubeless ready’ tyres are a bitch to get to seat on initial fitting. I think the rim you are using and whether your tyre has already been used (pre-stretched) also has a bearing.
    However, UST tyres are probably easier to inflate, and I reckon its worth the faff anyway as they handle so nice once up (and they stay up).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

got lucky over 5 years – good one

rickmeister

Jim, the CO2 cartridges are pretty good. I usually can inflate the tyre with a track pump and use co2 as a back up. One cartridge seats a 2.3 tyre…

boxfish
    Free Member

Tubeless for 5 years.

Have used UST rims and Stans Rims (with yellow tape).
    Always used UST tyres.
    Always used a track pump to seat the tyre with no problems.
    Have had several punctures and all have sealed (eventually).

As to whether it’s worth it, only you can decide that. I wouldn’t go back to using tubes offroad.

Trimix
    Free Member

I think its too much faf for the tiny benefit (which are outweighed by the negatives IMO).

But I actually enjoy the few punctures I do get each year. I see it as a much needed break in riding while I catch my breath and stick a spare tube in. But I do tend to ride with mates who are fitter than me.

Speshpaul

Just to further counter someone elses bad experiances-
    you have to faff around with sealant, Messy.
    Yes but better faffing in a dry warm garage than on the trail side
    UST tyres cost more, Sealant costs more.
    Ghetto, I’ve been running non UST tyres (Conti, MIch and Swb) for 6 years no problems, A years worth of sealant costs less than 3 good tubes
    You either need Co2 canisters, a compressor or Popeye to inflate the tyres fast enough to pop them on the rim.
    I nornally reseat Ghetto’ed tyres with a track pump, but i must admit to having a £35 B&Q compressor
    You have to wait a a good few hours after fitting a tyre for it to have sealed enough to ride on and it will go down constantly for a few weeks till the sealant has filled all the porous bits of the tyre.
    Really? Plus don’t you normally check your tyres once a week/before a ride
    if the pressure is too low, or the tyre sidewall or bead too flexible, it can burp, roll off the rim etc, this requires you to use (shock Horror!) a tube to repair it on the trail, so you get all your riding kit, hands and bike covered in sealant.
    Yes they can burp, once in six years and shock horror it blow back up with out a pump.
    You can’t just swap tyres over before a ride if needs be
    Really?

Biggest disadvantage i’ve found is waiting for people to fix/change punctures on a ride.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I’ve got 1 bike tubeless, has been for about a year (not that it’s been ridden much in the last 6 months!)

I can’t say as I’ve noticed any real difference, I haven’t been particularly prone to punctures in the past (probably shouldn’t have said that!).

For me, I’d say it wasn’t worth the initial cost of setting up (I bought a stan’s conversion kit although I know there are cheaper ways of doing it!). If I get any issues (i.e. when I need to top up sealant or tyre pops off) I’ll be going back to tubes because it seems more simple to me 😛

slimjim78
    Free Member

got lucky over 5 years – good one

like I also said, I think alot of it comes down to tyre/rim choice.
    You obviously got it right, well done.

I run ust and my experiences are much more positive than most of the above posts

No1 – only a track pump (a strap and washing up liquid) is needed to inflate
    No2 – I don’t use sealant and have had only 1 puncture in 8 months
    No3 – the less weight on each tyre the better – of course but you only appreciate that when actually riding and not researching
    No4 – the downside is they are more expensive

Most of the troubles listed I have never encountered. Make the jump but go ust

slimjim78
    Free Member

topping up sealant is easier than replacing a tube

slimjim78
    Free Member

No1 – only a track pump (a strap and washing up liquid) is needed to inflate : must be a UST thing
    No2 – I don’t use sealant and have had only 1 puncture in 8 months – so you’d have had zero punctures if using sealant?
    No3 – the less weight on each tyre the better – of course but you only appreciate that when actually riding and not researching – ? so you do notice the weight saving?
    No4 – the downside is they are more expensive – & UST tyres are much heavier

Q – I can see why the idea of not using sealant appeals, but surely this means you are running a puncture time bomb?

njee20
    Free Member

No3 – the less weight on each tyre the better – of course but you only appreciate that when actually riding and not researching

Few UST set ups save weight.

I’d +1 to JoB, definitely a convert.

Having used various systems over the last 10 years Stan’s rims are definitely the best, helped if you have a range of tyres you know will work.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s great if you need it, but if you haven’t had a flat for 8 months and you’re happy as you are…

Sorry double post

We can all debate over the op but talking from my experiences (that’s what we can all do with any degree of accuracy) is sealant isn’t needed in a ust. A timebomb? So that means all ust must use sealant? Thats a big fat resounding no.I do cannock chase, notts, peak district and Yorkshire and yes no punctures apart from a tear in the sidewall – a tyre boot saved me, not sealant

The weight difference is noticeable cos I’ve ridden bikes with tubes in before – think we all have haven’t we?

I’ve noticed the odd thorn sticking out (small) and once remover just seals itself – rubber on rubber – that could be a fetish site

rotten
    Free Member

I ride with more confidence when tubeless, not so tippy toey in the rocky stuff, just blast through. Also more grip on techy climbs which is nice. All in all I ride faster with less dabs and less punctures which over rides all the negatives. 😀

scruff
    Free Member

I would go back to V-brakes and rigid frame & forks before going back to tubes, due to the frequency of thorn punctures I used to get.

daver27
    Free Member

I knew my post would be picked on!

If you carry a tube, fixing a puncture can be done in less than a minute trailside, its clean, simple and quick, if you do it right, so many people don’t. if you run tubeless and puncture badly, you will get VERY messy and sticky.

I have destroyed tyres running them tubeless due to burbing. i used stans flow rims with the green rims strip at my last go, i will NEVER go back to it. as far as i am concerned its all hype.

It helps that i only puncture once or twice a year it seems, so for me there really is no contest, Tubes all the way.

Speshpaul

Daver27, not picking on you mate, offering a differant experiance.
    If you are only getting 1 or 2 punctures a year then you are better off with tubes, i’d say.
    The final staw for me was 8 punctures (thorns and pinch flats) between 3 riders in 3 hours (should have been a 2 hour ride) all with six miles of home.

Speshpaul

sorry double post

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless set up. what are the benifits ?’ is closed to new replies.