Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • tubeless set-up question, a point of debate i'm sure.
  • lardman
    Free Member

So, i fancy running tubeless, but after a few attempts at the faff of running rim strips and wheel jizz on non-UST tyres and rims i want to get a more reliable build on the go.

I think i will need to go ‘proper’ UST rims, tyres.

So, i almost exclusively run Minions/high rollers and only change them when they are worn out. I run Mavic 325 freeridey weight rims, and would need something like this, but the UST rim numbers are not familiar to me. I’m guessing the EX823 would be the right one.

I know you can get the minions in UST but how easy are they to seat using a track-pump? Anyone use this combo? I don’t have a compressor, or the space to put one either so has to work easily with a good track pump.

Is this wishful thinking, or has my view been clouded by some rubbish ghetto version attempts?

Any impressions would be welcomed.
    Ta.

sambob
    Free Member

I’ve been using Stans Arch EX (you’d want Flow EX I imagine?) for the last 6 months with On-One CHunky Monkey/Smorgasbord tyres (Maxxis Ikon EXO more recently) and had no issues with them losing air, all very easy to inflate with a track pump. I think proper tubeless rims + tape makes it far easier to get a good set-up.

Northwind

Well, first I’d say don’t fixate on UST, Stans and similiar aren’t UST but work in the same way- once the yellow tape’s on they’re functionally identical, no bodginess.

I haven’t used a UST minion but standard ones worked well tubeless on my old Flows- quite a lot of rubber in them and a quality bead.

lardman
    Free Member

hmmm…. when i tried some brand new minions on my DT 5.1’s they didn’t want to inflate at all…. lots of faff with pre-inflating with tubes, then compressed air cylinders. Would NOT go up with a track pump.

So, Stans rims strips didnt do it on my old rims, but you reckon its a bit patch whatever you use?

Thanks for the info BTW.

MadPierre

The last 2 numbers of the UST rims indicate their (internal) width i.e. 823 are 23mm.

823 are really aimed at DH/FR. 819 are more your all rounder. Annoyingly the inbetween 21mm is probably best for ruffty tufty do everything but is only available on for example the Crossmax SX wheels and not as a normal rim.

Having said that I’ve run 819 for DH duties with 2.5 tyres with no problems.

Proper UST rims with proper UST tyres is the way to go over any bodging. You can get ’em on with a track pump easy.

richmtb

I’ve got XT UST rims and run UST tyres

Inflate without faff with a track pump. If they ever don’t go up its always a poorly seated tyre rather than an issues with the rim.

I’ve tried Kenda UST, Schwalbe UST and Specialized 2 Bliss (which is tubeless ready rather than UST) they all inflated easily with a track pump

lardman
    Free Member

Hey, thanks for that ‘Mad Pierre’

I’m happy hauling the 823’s around, so they would be great. Good to know that combo works well with a track pump.
    So, you’re saying the 823’s and Minions etc: work well?

Sweet.

bails

I was similarly sceptical, after trying to convert Ritchey rims with a Stans kit. It didn’t really work, it was hard to get the tyres to inflate and then they’d fall off the rims and I’d end up on the floor.

But then I built some new wheels with the superstar sentinel rims (mine weighed 400g each, 21mm internal width). I also bought some ‘tubeless ready’ Conti Protection MK2s.

I fitted the tape and the tubeless valves, started pumping and….nothing. So I ended up with the tyre covered in bubbles (just like I had to when I ‘bodged’ it), still nothing so I gave up and put a tube in. 🙄

However…

I tried again after a few days of the tyre having a 50psi tube in and both tyres went straight up with no fuss whatsoever. I think the bead must have been all wonky from being folded up in the box, so once it had been straightened out by the air pressure in the tube it held air and popped up onto the rim.

I’m still trying to seal the sidewall of one of the tyres, but it’s been much easier than with a conversion.

Edit: all inflation done (or not!) with a track pump.

Farticus

I’ve run UST tyres on UST rims for about 10 years now. More recently Stan’s rims with UST tyres and tubeless-ready tyres, and a few attempts with non-UST or non-TLR tyres.

Functionally UST rims or Stan’s rims work the same, and perform the same and tyres inflate the same. The biggest difference is the tyre – UST and TLR are fine but tyres not designed for tubeless have been a disaster.

All my recent wheels now are Stan’s – UST rims are harder to come by and don’t offer any advantages.

Dickyboy

but tyres not designed for tubeless have been a disaster.

tubeless rims (SLX) & non tubeless tyres no problems here 🙂 seems the way though with tubeless, some combos work whilst others don’t 😕

MadPierre

lardman – Member

Hey, thanks for that ‘Mad Pierre’

I’m happy hauling the 823’s around, so they would be great. Good to know that combo works well with a track pump.
    So, you’re saying the 823’s and Minions etc: work well?

Sweet.

Yep. I’ve 823’s on my big hitter and run DH minions on that all the time. I’ve 819’s on the hardtail and SX’s on the Do everything/Enduro/All mountain/whatever you want to call it.

I’ve used all sorts of Maxxis and Schwalbe UST tyres and never had a problem getting them up with a track pump.

Tubeless ready – I’m less keen on. A bugger to get seated but once they are on and sealed they work well and are a lot lighter.

Wouldn’t even consider trying a bodge job with a normal tyre myself… right tool for the right job and all that. Not worth the hassle.

Northwind

Oh, just for clarity I meant stans rims rather than stans retrofit strips.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘tubeless set-up question, a point of debate i'm sure.’ is closed to new replies.