Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • tubeless set up problem
  • skeetsgb
    Free Member

hi
    im been setting up my new rims for tubeless (previous ones i did myself also). ive got the rear on done fine, but i cant get the front one to seal. it seems to be leaking from the bottom of the valve .

do i need to rim tape it again or just patch rim where the valve is or just go round rim again with another layer of tape or just keep inflating and topping up it until it seals.

cheers guys

sp
    Free Member

Stans vales? maybe tighten bit more?

boxfish
    Free Member

When I had this I cut out a small square of old inner tube, cut a small nick in it and pushed it onto the base of the valve before putting the valve in the rim.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

cheers lads, ill will do both 🙂

ill take valve back out, do the inner tube bit and then re tighten. its weird as when i did it on friday the rear went down within 30 mins and the front stayed up, same on sat, but today the roles have reversed.

thanks again. a day of tinkering for me today 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Dampen the valve with a bit of spit before you put it in.

Also make sure you file out the rim tape as it goes through the hole, just like on the vids

bikeneil
    Free Member

Make sure that there are no holes in the rim tape anywhere else around the wheel.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I’m really curious, why do people use rim tape? is it because you have old rims which have the spokes visible or is it a “just in case” measure?

khani
    Free Member

You don’t need it on UST rims, but Stans still have the spoke holes, the yellow tape is supposed to be non stretchy under pressure so the tape doesn’t blow through the hole over time,
    As for the leaky valve, I’ve found nipping it up a bit tighter and sloshing the fluid round at the valve sorts it right out,

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I was going to say, i didn’t use tape or tubeless tyres on my Easton rims and they both seemed fine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘tubeless set up problem’ is closed to new replies.