Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tubeless set up / air shot / pump or?
  • phil5556

I’ve generally had good success setting up tyres tubeless just with a track pump, but occasionally if I’m struggling I use a CO2 cartridge to pop the tyre on.

I had to do it this morning for the wife’s new tyres & it feels a bit wasteful.

Any recommendations please for an air shot device or similar? Are the dual use pumps the way forward?

Cheers

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got an airshot. Works great, don’t think I have failed yet. In the future I’d probably get one of those fancy track pumps with the cylinder built in.

Northwind

Airshot works really well. Or make your own, with a fire extinguisher- mine is ridiculous, I used a large extinguisher so it can probably inflate about a million tyres but it cost peanuts to do.

The pump/chamber ones tend to sacrifice a bit of usefulness in one job or the other, I’d still rather have a pump and a tubeless doofer seperately.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamj1974

My airshot has been brilliant!

johnjn2000

I have a Joe Blow track pump with the booster which does the job if i can get the initial seal between the tyre and the rim. TBH, never had great success setting up tubeless, but if you want 160PSI shot into your tyre in an instant then this thing works.

Wally

decathlon sell an excellent device. Bit like an air shot, but you can top up easily once beads popped.

benp1

My Topeak joe blow booster worked great until it encountered a 29+ tyre. No chance

Air compressor sorted that one. Now just use the pump part of the joe blow. Tubeless bit is useful if I take it in the van

phil5556

Ta, Airshot (& possibly a new track pump) is the way forward I think.

Found the Schwalbe from Decathlon (I presume that’s the one you mean?) but it’s more expensive than Airshot.

coatesy
    Free Member

Got a Schwalbe one in the home workshop. Like everything tubeless it can be a bit hit & miss, most of the time it’s fine, but sometimes i’m reduced to using the work’s compressor(and even that’s no guarantee. If you’ve never had a problem with tubeless, you haven’t done enough of them yet).

gs_triumph

Converted fire extinguisher for me.

Have a spare one every year as need to replace the one at work so it makes sense.

Very cheap to do.

docgeoffyjones

Converted Helium tank left over from a birthday party for me

Again very cheap to make

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those track pump/tank things and it’s been great for tubesless.

Not running +sized tyres, but for my 2.5/2.6 stuff it’s put everything on easily and first time. I can take it away if I go, and it’s not much bigger than usual track pump.

nickc

I’m in the same position OP, I generally could make it work with a track pump, but recently bought an airshot to put on some 29er tyres and it’s transformed the process, and I’m wondering why I didn’t do it before. works first time everytime, and totally hassle free.

If you’re a tyre swapper (I am) it’s a god send

spooky_b329

Anyone got a good tip for protecting an airshot? One of the photos showed it with a neoprene sleeve, I think I need something as I’ve already knocked it off the bench once and it’s pretty lightweight.

I upgraded from a faffy fence sprayer, chose the airshot as it’s small enough to chuck in the car with a cheap track pump rather than lugging around a ln expensive pump (obviously not pre-pressuring it as the destructions say you’ll die if it gets left in a hot car!)

Wally

Decathlon one is a non stickered version of This

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Another Airshot user here. I already have a track pump so getting another one seemed a bit wasteful, but if I didn’t I’d probably have gone for one with the extra chamber.

jonnyboi

Airshot user here, had it a good few years now and does the job every time. I use one of those stretchy knee support bandages to protect it.

mjsmke

I use a DIY airshot using a 3l plastic bottle, couple of prests valves, and piece of tube. Cost a few pounds and works everytime.

leffeboy

Got the Schwalbe Tire Booster and it works great for getting seating the tyre but it’s a real pita to screw onto the valve.  You have to screw the hose onto the valve and it’s stiff and slow.  If I were buying another I would look for something with a quick connection of some sort

phil5556

Decathlon one is a non stickered version of This

Ah cheers, found it now.

Does an airshot do a fat bike tyre? The linked one looks bigger, does it stand a better chance?

Wally

I have both the airship and the Decathlon on. I reach for the Decathlon one every time. It’s actually better than the large noisy ALDI AIR COMPRESSOR.

dyna-ti

Joe Blow track pump – £30

Joe Blow track pump with booster – £140.

I know some swear by tubeless, but its eating up money hand over fist.

phil5556

@wally cheers 👍

Joe Blow track pump – £30

Joe Blow track pump with booster – £140.

or £30 track pump and a £45 airshot / Decathlon equivalent = £75.

I know some swear by tubeless

I’ve had my bike for 5 years now and think I’ve only had 2 punctures. The last one was a hard enough hit to finish my rim off. So yeah it works for me 🙂

aide

I ended up getting a separate canister for tubeless. I already had a good track pump and the all-in-one’s were expensive I thought. Also if one of them breaks I do not need to buy the whole set again. Pretty happy with my choices so far

joebristol

I tried an Airwave all in one pump / canister from CRC and is lasted about 18 months before something in it failed and couldn’t be fixed. CRC have me a warranty refund for it. I found it quite often needed 2 or 3 fully charged shots to seat tyres. Nothing outrageous – just 2.3-2.6”
    Size tyres and mostly exo / snakeskin casings.

Bought myself a Lezyne track pump with the abs screw on head and an airshot. Been great for quite a few years now and I’m a serial tyre changer.

I’ve got the zip on case – the bottle sock – as I’m always dropping stuff in the garage. Seems to do the job nicely.

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/14468/products/airshot-bottle-sock.aspx#miv-4

phil5556

Just gone for the Tredz one Wally linked to 👍

Shouldn’t need to use it for a while though 🤞

Northwind

phil5556

Does an airshot do a fat bike tyre?

TBH it’ll depend loads on teh rim, I have BR710s which are sort of nearly tubeless ready, but actually getting the tyre onto the bead is a battle even with a compressor.

Wally

Tredz one will do a 29er 2.6 tyre to about 20PSI and a 27.5 2.0 to about 35PSI. The 29er needed an extra 4 pump compressions to get the last pops out.

fathomer

Airshot has always worked flawlessly for me, until last week. Tried to get a one summer old Maxxis Dissector on but it wasn’t having it, even after seating one side with a tube!

Any advice??

jacobyte

I just use a Joe Blow which I bought in 2009.

On the one occasion when I could get a tyre to seal, I used a £1 CO2 cartridge and it worked instantly.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.