Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tubeless sealant fail
  • Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Out riding last night and managed to put a tiny slice in the tyre (probably <2mm). Rather frustratingly, the sealant didn’t do its job and I had to stroll back to the car.

My mate reckons it’s because it was so cold (probably about 5 degrees). I just wondered if I’ve got crap sealant (Joe’s no-flats).

Any opinions? It was a Schwalbe Dirty Dan (tubeless superstar job), if that makes any difference.

cynic-al

2mm is not a small hole for sealant, I’m not surprised.

Conan257
    Free Member

Not carrying a spare tube then….

Might seem ironic, but more than worth the added weight to carry a tube.

inkster
    Free Member

Did you rotate the wheel so the hole was at the bottom {6 ‘Oclock position] and let the sealant puddle above the hole, letting the tyre pressure force the sealant through the hole, giving it 3-5 mins to do it’s job? usually works for me. Sealed holes op to 5mm [on tread, not sidewall] doing this, usually have to pump up a bit more 15 mins later.

Using Stans BTW

+ I’m usually pretty generous with the amount of sealant I put in. sod the weight, It’ll all dry out eventually.

superfli
    Free Member

As above, make sure hole is at bottom and I also roll my finger over the hole to encourage the sealant to bung up

grievoustim
    Free Member

I carry anchovies (and a spare tube) for moments likes these – lucky enough not to have had to use them yet – but better than walking

I once had to keep topping the tyre up to finish the ride – when I got home and opened up the tyre I found two ping pong ball sized balls of dry latex.

I top up more regularly now

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Did as suggested above but the sealant just dribbled out. I did think that anything under 3mm wasn’t seen as much of a problem. Maybe I was just unlucky.

As for spare tubes, I always carry one. It’s just that it was quicker to walk than mess around with the change.

Here’s another question. What’s the best way to repair the tyre?

chakaping
    Free Member

Joe’s sealant has worked OK for me in the past. Lasts longer than Stan’s too I think.

Doesn’t always seal of course, so I always carry a tube.

carlphillips
    Free Member

anchovies. tyre patch. gaffa tape.

JoeG
    Free Member

You can use a regular tire patch on the inside of the tire to fix small tears or holes in the sidewall that won’t stay sealed. Just be sure to clean the area well to remove all of the sealant so that the glue has good rubber to stick to.

martinxyz
    Free Member

It’s quicker to repair that kind of puncture than fitting a new tube with the likes of a Panaracer tubeless repair patch kit. Leave the tyre on,clean in and around the hole and plug it. Inflate.

br
    Free Member

Maybe you’d not enough sealant in, plus just use a normal patch.

shortcut

Sounds like a user Fail.

Panaracer tubeless repair kit or weld tire worms would sort it.

Even a spare inner tube.

Fail to prepare or prepare to fail.

Sorry – no sympathy 2mm holes happen and don’t always seal.

bigyinn
    Free Member

anchovies?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

What a cheerful chap you are, Shortcut.

Could someone enlighten me on anchovies?

EDIT:

It’s quicker to repair that kind of puncture than fitting a new tube with the likes of a Panaracer tubeless repair patch kit. Leave the tyre on,clean in and around the hole and plug it. Inflate.

I never knew trailside repair kits existed. Just ordered a Weldtite one. Many thanks.

As another point, someone suggeted to me today that CO2 inflaters shouldn’t be used with tubeless. Any truth to this?

Sometimes with bigger holes of around 2mm you’ll find the sealant gets blown out of the hole faster than it can set.
    Let it go down until it’s quite soft so the air’s escaping slower and it may seal itself allowing you to blow it back up again.
    Definitely worth carrying those little thread things and the needle for them. They really do work on bigger holes.

allthepies
    Free Member

sponging-machine wrote:

What a cheerful chap you are, Shortcut.

He seems quite angry.

Worth carrying some kind of tubeless repair kit though, that or a spare toob.

Cheezpleez

I had a v similar sliced tyre yesterday. Fixed it with a wormy anchovy thing. I was impressed how well it worked.

Cheezpleez

I think there’s a theory that CO2 sets the sealant into a big rubber ball. I’ve had this when using CO2 – but I’ve also had it to a lesser extent when using plain old air. I wouldn’t worry about it

Northwind

The demo videos for tubeless always show the tyres pierced with nails or awls, slices don’t seal nearly as well though- they’re more likely to reopen as the tyre squishes around.

lump
    Free Member

Put some glitter in with the fluid, help seal bigger holes quicker

scaredypants

… and if the glitter doesn’t seal the hole, at least passers-by will think that the unicorn mating season is in full swing

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Chortle.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless sealant fail’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.