Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tubeless sealant – best recommends
  • crashrash

So been swapping tyres over and my Stans sealant was brown and mostly gone after only 3 months. It has always been reliable but wonder if there are any better alternatives – your opinions, as always, much appreciated!

jlln
    Free Member

Orange seal is supposed to be good, but as a tubeless newbie I have no experience of other makes (no flats in 3 months though).

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Don’t think that there is anything out there better than Stans .

TiRed

Orange is better than Stans in my experience. I won’t be going back. You could just add some glitter to Stans though, I would imagine.

noltae
    Free Member

Too many variables to state categorically which is best I reckon- Anecdotally speaking – I switched back to Stans after disappointing experience with Orange . .

transporter13
    Free Member

Currently trying some peatys stuff after using stans normal and race plus the orange stuff too.
    Stans is fine
    Stans race is supposed to be vettwr for sealing bigger holes
    Orange seal failed twice on me in 2 different tubeless tyres so not impressed with it
    Peatys is different to the rest in that it sorta resembles the glue you used to use at junior school for your projects…just with blue glitter chucked in for good measure.

Not had any issues with it as yet but seems ok so far

rOcKeTdOg

Orange seal has been great, used on lots of stubborn tubeless set ups.had a tyre burp on me due to running it with too little pressure & orange seal was still liquid after 14 months use.
    It works well with fat tyre & their associated low pressures

vincienup
    Free Member

Can’t be straight glitter in the Peatys, apparently it’s biodegradable.

strangey13
    Free Member

Always used Juice Lubes since you going tubeless and never had any problems. Like someone else said lots of variables and different opinions of what’s a problem.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You could just add some glitter to Stans though, I would imagine.

Glitter’s a ‘micro plastic’ environmental no-no now.

kilo

I use oko tyre sealant seems to work well.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

plus one for stans

mikekay
    Free Member

Hutchinson do some thats the same/similar to stans but cheaper

MarkiMark
    Free Member

I use Orange, no problems, but I think the tyre is more important.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OKO (intended for tractors, agricultural quads etc), available form agricultural merchants and online.

It’s about £9 for 1250ml, and I’ve got it diluted as it’s very thick in the bottle (can’t remember if 50/50 or 1:2), using 100ml of the diluted mix in my fat bike since the summer and it’s been fine.

bhill22
    Free Member

Reference glitter, what is it, where do you get it, and how much do would you use and can it make a difference?
    Currently using Stans
    Recent experience on Rapha 500 failed on tubeless setup had a puncture due to a glass shard failed immediately and could not get air in
    Have seen reference to the following in the past why it would not work
    Dont work in wet/cold (it was 1 degree C and very wet/icy)
    Goes off (mine been in 6 months)
    Maybe I did not have enough stans in tyre?

madhouse

Schwalbe Doc Blue here – made by Stans but cheaper.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    Reference glitter, what is it, where do you get it, and how much do would you use and can it make a difference?
    Currently using Stans
    Recent experience on Rapha 500 failed on tubeless setup had a puncture due to a glass shard failed immediately and could not get air in
    Have seen reference to the following in the past why it would not work
    Dont work in wet/cold (it was 1 degree C and very wet/icy)
    Maybe I did not have enough stans in tyre?

Stans is a suspension of latex in water (and other stuff like anti-freeze), when you apply a high shear stress to the liquid (like accelerate it through a small hole under high pressure) the latex strings bind together and form a plug.

The logic of putting glitter in there is that sometimes the hole doesn’t seal so the glitter partially bloks it and make it smaller so the latex can do it’s thing.

The problem with road tyres is there isn’t enough volume of air to make losing some unnoticeable like on an MTB, and the higher pressure just blows the partially solidified latex out.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

As a general note, I’m running tubeless on my road bike, loving it, and if I ever get a puncture (lucky so far) that can’t seal then it’s no worse than on a tubed bike, put a tube in and off you go.

I started tubeless with Schwalbe Pro Ones and would never go near them again. Many sealed punctures but too many that wouldn’t seal. Too fragile, for racing on nice days only. Have since gone with IRC Formula Pro X-Guard 28mm and they are fantastic. Amazed they’re so difficult to get hold of in the UK, got mine from Cycle Clinic.

Wheels also important. Mine are new Hunt 36 carbons and are wide so good shape for running at low pressure. I weigh 80Kg and run tyres at about 70psi. No worse loss of air than with tubes.

DezB
    Free Member

Road bike, have found the Mavic stuff works well. Sealed a couple of Schwalbe Pro One punctures well.

MTB – I like Juice Lubes, bit thicker than Stans but still goes in via the valve ok.

mrblobby
    Free Member

have found the Mavic stuff works well

Anyone try the Hutchinson sealant? I’d guess it’s the same as the Mavic one but can be had for a little over 20 quid a litre.

Used Stans for years on MTB. Orange Seal on CX. Recently went tubeless on road and using the Orange Seal, no problems so far but only one ride in!

bhill22
    Free Member

Thx thisisnotaspoon

Glitter as in sprinkle on xmas cards etc?

Are we saying that sealant in high pressure tyres is 50:50 if it works or not, and it might be easier no sealant and if puncture does occur throw in a tube and not have the hassle of messy liquid to fight against?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve been using orange seal for the first time, from about September.

Seems about the same as Stan’s fluid IMO. glycol based so doesn’t dry out* or freeze as easily. My Magic Mary is just starting to get a little ‘dry now’

* Steady weeping of fluid through the multiple small punctures still happens, just like with Stan’s, so it does actually ‘dry out’ over time, as the tyre effectively filters out the liquid component.

Doc blue is just like Stan’s fluid. Revo sealant from conti is supposed to be good too. Might try that next.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Went to fill a tyre from my Stan’s bottle recently only to find this Stanimal… 🙂

TBH the bottle probably was a couple of years old.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone try the Hutchinson sealant? I’d guess it’s the same as the Mavic one but can be had for a little over 20 quid a litre.

Yep, it’s very good. Never dries out in the tyre. It’s not the same as Mavic.
    I’ve found it too expensive in the little bottles they do, that’s the only reason I don’t use it.
    Where can you get it for £20 a litre?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Where can you get it for £20 a litre?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/protectair-max-tyre-sealant-id_8363393.html

A few of the other usual places are around the same price. They also do a big 5L bottle that’s even cheaper per litre (65 quid from ACycles).

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers, bookmarked!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have some cafe creme one that is meant to bubble up (probably not the right name).

It’s crap. Tyres always losing air through tiny holes it should seal

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Hutchinson £60 for 5L at the moment
    https://www.acycles.co.uk/hutchinson-protect-air-max-preventive-liquid-5l-9264.html

That’s a more reasonable price given you can pay £30 for a litre of stans. I’ve got watered down OKO in one bike and just about to put it on the rest of them. No sign that it’s been ‘tested’ yet.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

That’s a more reasonable price given you can pay £30 for a litre of stans.

You would have to try very hard to pay that much , even for the Race Sealant , and even harder to buy it in litres .

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless sealant – best recommends’ is closed to new replies.