Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless scenario – should I?
  • Should I try my new Panaracer Fire FR & XC’s on my Roval Traversee rims with Stans The Solution?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Yes, of course, why not? 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

If you die can I have your bike?

I’d go for it, just make sure your gentle on your first ride. There are reports of panaracer tyres failing when done tubeless (not UST). But I was told Maxxis was fool proof and they rolled off the rim on me.

jimr80
    Free Member

from my experience fitting tubless tryes for friends is that panaracer fire xc’s are a very loose fit on the rims and can have a tendancy to burp off the rims on occasions so the correct tyre pressure is very important

racing_ralph
    Free Member

How are people rolling tyres off rims when tubeless? its beyond me!! What pressures are you using? 21psi here and not a problem ever.

jim – I’ve always found Panaracers tight when new and using tubes.

I was talking to racing_ralph last night about this rolling off the rim business – it concerns me – but he says he has genuinely never experienced it. I may find the doubt inhibits my riding whatever the case though.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

on decent rims with good tyres you will be fine nick. You have an ounce of mechanical skill so setup should be fine!!

jimr80
    Free Member

personally i’ve been running stans tubless with no problems for 7 months .i have fitted both stans and joes no-flats for mates and the only one that had a problem was the guy running panaracer xc’s on mavic rims. he hasn’t had problems with them rolling off the rim, only ‘burping’ off the rims on fast flinty / rocky descents.

Northwind

The traversees have a very tight/strong bead, it’s a complete pain to shift tyres off them sometimes so I wouldn’t worry too much about the tyre coming off by itself. Very much doubt it’ll roll off. It may however be an utter sod to get them on in the first place.

I still don’t use them tubeless though, don’t trust it, do trust tubes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have seen a couple of folk roll tyres off rims – one of whom at least is a very good mechanic. all you need is to put a big sideways load on the tyre – and low pressures contibute to how easily it rolls off.

Myself I simply fail to see the point in tubesless – this forum is full of threads of folk having difficulty and I don’t suffer from punctures/ Unless you ride whre there are lots of thorns of course

21 psi – that must be horrible squidging all over the place. 35 is as low s I can go before teh tyre rolling around feels horrid

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve probably done about 30 ‘ghetto’ setups and the only 3 tyres I couldn’t do were Panaracers, a smoke, rampage and a fire xc. The fire seated just about and inflated but blew off the rim after a few minutes use.

They fit way too loose and I can easily fit a fat finger under the bead when fitted, even with double rim tape and insulation tape build up the gap.

It’s a shame as I really like Panaracers but couldn’t go back to tubes, Maxxis on the other hand are great.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

panaracers are too slack.

“this forum is full of threads of folk having difficulty”

a minority IMO

Saccades
    Free Member

Myself I simply fail to see the point in tubesless – this forum is full of threads of folk having difficulty and I don’t suffer from punctures/ Unless you ride whre there are lots of thorns of course

21 psi – that must be horrible squidging all over the place. 35 is as low s I can go before teh tyre rolling around feels horrid

6 months ago I had the same opinion as TJ here, despite an olympic mtb’er urging me everytime I got him to tinker on one of my bikes to move to tubeless. I don’t puncture, I’m heavy and I run my tyres at 35psi etc etc etc, why would I need to spend a small fortune to not have to worry about punctures?

Then I bought an alfine hub and stuck on a bike with an EBB, so rather then have the faff of mybe once in a while removing the hub whilst on the trails I specc’ed a XM819 rim front and rear, with some general purpose Halo UST Choir masters, with a bit of latex added for good measure.

It’s not about not having to worry about punctures or a lighter tyre – it is about having massive levels of grip and a smoothness you just don’t get at higher pressures, the sidewalls are tougher so you don’t get half the sideways roll you are thinking about when a normal tyre is ran low.

Never once have i thought “Oh, I wish I back on my old tyres”, but i have often thought whilst riding with UST “How the hell did I stay upright then?” or “This feels so planted” as the tyres grip and grip and grip.

Most of the problems here are from people trying to do it on the cheap and not quite succeeding.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless scenario – should I?’ is closed to new replies.