Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tubeless rimtape, Spank Fratelli, seems to be “Kapton” tape.
  • mudfish

Hia
    That old rimtape discussion!

I’m wondering if anyones tried the the Spank rimtape, it looks to stick well and be quite flexible in their video on setting up tubeless. Some say its the same thing as Kapton tape, they do look like similar tapes for sure, both are a translucent brown, almost orangey colour. I believe Kapton is an electronics industry tape.
    You wouldn’t expect Spank to be actually making a tape themselves, I am thinking of Stans and the TESA 4289, both of which which seem identically lacking in the much needed adhesive quality.

Ever searching for a tape thats sticky enough and flexible to conform to complex rim shapes like Spank’s spike dual channel rim. Plus, ideally, stiff enough not to deform into the spoke holes.

Tried the black cloth based gorilla tape on a mates Derby carbon rim (with cushcore, there’s another story, that cushcore takes some fitting, those with damaged thumbs need not apply)
    Unfortunately, it’s seeping air, seems like the tape may be responsible rather than fitting – as we used 2 layers and got it all proper tight and right into the bead edges. I must say Gorilla was lovely to appply compared to the TESA/Stans.

Any thoughts on the Spank stuff much appreciated.
    Thanks

robertgray05
    Free Member

Having just been through the pain of trying to get stans tape to conform to the deepish channel in an ARC30 rim, I can tell you I bought Schwalbe tape and it’s excellent. Just the right amount of stretch and stickiness.

Northwind

Someone on here, maybe Trailrat, pointed me to this stuff. And it is the absolute bollocks.

https://apetape.co.uk/Item/reaper-tape-polythene-repair-tape

He said it’s just clear gorilla tape, not sure, it seems stretchier. Goes on as easily as electrical tape but much tougher and stickier.

The other thing you can do sometimes now with wider rims, is just not tape the whole thing- most quality rims just need the holes covered so a narrow tape can do that, and if it all sits in the bed then it’s safe from being pushed off by a tyre.

mudfish

Thanks guys
    Northwind have you tried geting that clear tape off?
    Did it seal easy enough around the valve? Maybe you used the hot tool to male the hole method? Sems a good idea that with thin tape
    Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

I use Kapton tape for electronics stuff, the whole point is that it’s incredibly thin, can’t see it being much good for tubeless/rim tape.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless rimtape, Spank Fratelli, seems to be “Kapton” tape.’ is closed to new replies.