Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless rim strip for Spank OOzy rims?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Save me from having to look/think for myself…

Anyone know what rim strip to use for Spank Oozy rims?
    Do they do their own or is there a Stans (or other) one that fits?

higgo
    Free Member

Anyone?

ruscle
    Free Member

Gorilla tape

wwaswas

measure the rim width and then buy the stans/joe’s strips for that size rim. I prefer Joes as I’ve found they seal more easily and give a little more variation on rim width due to the way they come up past the beads.

higgo
    Free Member

My own PC is kaput at the moment so I was nervous about searching for the words ‘spank’, ‘oozy’, ‘rim’ and ‘strip’ on my work machine but it seems that the internal width is 21mm.

I’ll have a look for a suitable Joes/Stans one.

Spank-MikeD
    Free Member

Hi Higgo, I’m the brand manager at Spank. Sorry to intrude in your forum, but maybe I can help.
    The inner width of an Oozy rim is 21mm. Spank sells an ultralite tape called Fratelli Tape, which is 25mm and perfect. Sounds like it would be too wide, but you want to make sure you tape all the way up to the bead hook on the vertical flanges (side walls). When I convert an Oozy rim with our tape, I go all the way around on the right side right up to the bead hook, then cross over and go all the way around again on the left side (up to the bead hook). This seals the joint (which is sleeved for strength), and provides a better seal under the tire bead.
    As Ruscle mentioned, many of our riders use ghetto set ups like gorilla tape, or a BMX tube cut to the right width. We suggest an adhesive tape as it tends to work a bit better. If you choose a thicker heavier tape like yellow strips, then you may get away with one lap around the rim, but you do need to watch that you seal up to the bead hooks especially at the joint area.
    If you have more questions, you can email me at mike@spank-ind.com

100mphplus
    Free Member

Ha Mike beat me to it ^

I’ve used the Fratelli tape and the spank valves on my rims and they work great.

(OT – Mike if you’re still monitoring – when are those Oozy straight pull wheelsets going to be available, saw them at Whistler during Crankworx and they are sexy!!)

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, Mike.
    I’ll look out for Fratelli tape.

Cheers,
    Higs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless rim strip for Spank OOzy rims?’ is closed to new replies.