Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • “Tubeless ready” tyres who apart from bontranger ??
  • blastit
    Free Member

I know how you all love a tyre thread so I thought I would try and help to keep you all happy.

As title is there any others doing these tyres,
    I have tried other tubed type but they are just so much hassel to get them to sealed as they seem so loose on my 717 rims. I like the low weight of the Bontys and being tubeless, and its easy.
    Just fancy a change.

Feel free to slag off this thread.

glenh
    Free Member

Anything LUST I guess (although LUST tires still don’t seem as light as bonty TRs).

I think Geax do some TR type tires…

glenh
    Free Member

p.s. what bonty tires are you using? I found mud-X TRs to be great on 717s, but found ACX TRs to be tight as hell.

glenh
    Free Member

Geax ones are called TNT (TubeNoTube) btw.

charliemort

what is a Tubeless Ready tyre? is it a tyre that works as tubeless on a normal rim with Stans kit or similar?

scruff
    Free Member

Speash do em. I just put some Bonty Jones ACX’s on my 819’s. Not smacked em repeatedly into rocks yet but seem Ok.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Is “tubless ready” just a way of avoiding paying Mavic a royalty?

As for tyres I’d 2nd the maxxis LUST tyres, I have a set of 2.35 high rollers and they are nice and light.

Biffer
    Free Member

I’ve got a Geax TNT on a 717 but running ti with a tube – getting it on and off is a nightmare. Its tighter than a gnats chuff or something like that !

sailor74
    Free Member

At the moment I am using Bonty and Maxxis UST tyres. The Maxxis are High Rollers 2.35 super sticky

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Love Geax TNT’s but ill be damned if i can get Speccy 2bliss to seat tubeless.

thefallguy
    Free Member

compressor or co2 to seat the spesh if your having probs but what you really need is another layer of rim tape to tighten things up.

tubeless ready generally are lighter and porous, can’t be run without sealant. UST = stronger heavier rim specific tyres

wellhung
    Free Member

I mostly be using Tufo tubular clinchers 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Supposedly tubeless ready = UST bead without UST sidewalls, so you get all the advantages of better sealing of UST without the weight and RR penalty (you simply use sealant as with any other non-UST tubeless). Would be nice if there were a lot more available, as at least in theory it’s the best of both worlds.

I thought you needed specific rims for them to help though, hence they wouldn’t be that beneficial on 717s.

Frankers
    Free Member

TNT Geax here as well

yes they’re a tight fit on converted 717’s but at least you won’t be worried about burping air on the tire blowing off on rocky sections

Barro Marathon is a fantastic all round tyre that rolls brill

MrNutt
    Free Member

As for tyres I’d 3nd the maxxis LUST tyres, I have a set of 2.35 high rollers and they are nice and light.

dobo
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of bonty tubeless ready, they arnt the best tyres for rocky situations but apart from that, great.

the lust high roller is good too, i ran it without sealant for a while on mav 819, was fine, i wouldnt say they are especially light though.

i’m really interested in trying some geax tyres, but need to wear out some rubber first :0

non ust schwalbe tyres also work really well tubeless (on tubeless rims), and in some varieties the ust versions are light!

onandon
    Free Member

the Schwab non UST RR i used leaked through the side wall as they were too porous.
    gone back to tubes before i decide to try again.

dobo
    Free Member

most non ust tyres have porus sidewalls, you need sealant with them all, wheelmilk seals them up fine though, you then have a super fast light tyre running tubeless. I’ve been running a non ust RR for a good while now.

blastit
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions Geax sound good, I will have a search.
    Looked at the maxxis lust but looked here http://www.justridingalong.com/news/2007/12/06/maxxis-tyres-under-1-kg/
    and the high roller lust 2.35 is almost 300g heavier than the normal kevlar one of the same size. While I love the tubeless concept thats quite a lot of extra weight to spin.
    Found the schwalbe a bit loose on the rim.

onandon
    Free Member

dobo

they are crossmax Sl’s so full UST and using two scoops per wheel .
    didn’t have any issues seating them or inflating but they just wouldn’t stay up.

however, this was over xmas when it was hovering around 0c -3c, would this cause any difficulty sealing ?!??!?

cheers
    steve

dobo
    Free Member

on and on, two scoops of stans or JRA wheel milk? i’ve not used stans but wheel milk should work about 80ml does the job, dont over inflate to start, try 20-25psi then give them a good shake and spin, i usally leave them over night, top up in the morning with maybe another 20ml reinflate and thats it, out and ride, they stay up fine.
    Been out on some real cold rides with them no problem, the stw swinley ride was below 0, had one on then, for months infact.
    I guess the initial sealing process may be effected by the cold but if i recall i topped them up before the SPAM event (enough to hear it sloshing around inside)too which was below 0 aswell, no problems then either (but allready sealed i guess)

onandon
    Free Member

[img]http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?album_id=59216561&photo_id=1576460766[/img]

thats whats going on with mine,every now and again a hole would appear and the be sealed along the cord in the side wall.

usual procedure of fitting and filled then, fit ,fill ,shake ,lay on side overnight , flip and lay on other side . fit to bike ,ride ,pump , ride ,pump .put bike away find flat tyres a few hour later .

the tyres weigh 420grams each with is a little under what a 2.1 should weigh.

i have considered the tubeless ready tyres but decided this would be the better option if it worked 🙂 LOL

jimthesaint

on and on – this may sound a strange question but have you washed your tyres in the washing machine?

onandon
    Free Member

LOL, my wife would %kin kill me LOL

that would be a no.
    i couldn’t attach a pic of them bleeding but i guess thats not really going to help anyway.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘“Tubeless ready” tyres who apart from bontranger ??’ is closed to new replies.