Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tubeless question
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Finally going to try tubeless. Got some ZTR Crest rims, ordered tubeless tyres today. So what else do I need? What kits are best? Had a quick look on CRC, the Stans kits are a bit pricey. What are my options?

boxfish
    Free Member

Stans yellow tape, valves and sealant should be all you need.

Edit: you can get away with electrical tape or gorilla tape, both of which are cheaper.

Graham_Clark

Stans tape, valves and ‘jizz’ and you should be good to go 🙂

scaredypants

yellow tape, partly diluted fairy liquid*, jizz**, track pump (or maybe compressor of some sort), 10 minutes free time

(*/** – neither term refers to actual jizz)

Oh yeah, valves – like wot they said

danjthomas
    Free Member

Track pump and soapy water to pop tyres onto rims without faff

scaredypants

“BEST” preparation is to put your intended tyre on the wheel with a tube in overnight (or even a couple of hours) to get it to shape up and maybe stretch a bit, and press the tape hard onto the rim. Then take tube out, fit valve and away

timidwheeler

Same set up. I have had a year of trouble free tubless with superstar tape and valves, but proper Stan’s Fluid.

boxfish
    Free Member

What scaredypants said.

If you have time, pop a tube in, put washing-up liquid on the bead, inflate to the max psi for the tyre and leave for 24 hours before removing the tube, adding the valve & jizz and pumping up.

Danno72
    Free Member

Does this now make all my non tubeless tyres redundant?

Danno72
    Free Member

do you guys still carry a spare tube just in case?

skink2020

Took a fair bit of sealant to seal the advantages bit they’ve been fine for several months now.
    Always carry a spare tube for the big tyrewall slash thats bound to happen.

boxfish
    Free Member

Always. In 5 years, I’ve had a few punctures but no need to use the tube. I’ll probably get 3 flats on my next ride now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.