Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubeless question
  • cchris2lou

Going ghetto tubeless and tyres inflate easy enough, Maxxis tyres, ritchey rim and gorilla tape.
    Only issue is that air is leaking from the valve hole. If I pull down on the valve, leak stops. I am using threaded valve on the outside but can’t do them tight enough to stop the leak.

Would latex stop it?

Or any other tip?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Apparently there is a little rubber washer you are meant to put on the inside of the rim around the valve.

cchris2lou

Thanks, might have to make one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sandwicheater

Similar thing happened to me and turned out to be a tear in the tape at the valve point.

I tried to get to seal but ended up replacing the tape.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

If available an old tube with the valve cut out with some ‘spare’ rubber still attached works a treat. Simples is best!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Proper tubeless valves can have issues that the rubber doesn’t always seat properly in some rims. May require some bodging maybe to fashion a rubber seal inside. The outside needs a rubber seal also really.

Or ghetto valves – simple cut one out of an old tube and leave enough rubber for the inside to make a seal and then use a o-ring on the outside or make one from spare bit of tube rubber.

Either way you *must* chuck in sealant. Lots of sealant. Big tyres, 2.35 for example, 2 or 3 cups, maybe even 4. Especially if the tyres are tubeless ready or even “not technically ready but are really” (i.e. regular Maxxis Minions, HR, etc), and definitely if you plan to run low pressure (sub 30 psi). UST tyres may need less sealant and technically you can use none but I’d stick in loads anyway. You need something to seal small punctures as you ride and it does help keep the bead and valve hole sealed.

Sealant – Stans. End of.

corsair
    Free Member

^ What deadkenny said about sealant, assuming we’re both right in thinking that you don’t have any in there at all at the moment. I’ve had small leaks around the valve stem after an install but nothing yet that the sealant didn’t fix as soon as it got the chance.

If your leak is really bad then you may need to look at a different stem, or make a stem from an inner tube with some tube still attached, or put silicone sealer around it etc, but I’d give Stan’s a chance first as that might do the job on its own and you need sealant in there anyway.

hs125
    Free Member

Try cutting a small square out of an old inner tube, and make a hole in the centre with a nail. This can then be pulled over the valve before it goes into the rim. This extra layer of soft rubber made the difference when I tried.

cchris2lou

thanks for all the tips .

used a lot of washing up liquid to fit the tyres , and i can see quite small bubles along the rims , so needs some sealant .

rims were drilled to acomodate larger valves and i think I drilled them too big .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts