Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless (or not) rim profile
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up some cheap wheels for a build. The rims have been de-stickered and the seller knew very little about them. They definitely aren’t anything fancy and have been run with tubes judging by the old skool rim tape. A closer look at the bead and there is a small lip and a ‘trough’ around the outside edge. This looks to me like a clue that they are tubeless. Can anyone confirm before I start faffing?

edit: They are 29″ MTB rims

IMG-20210325-113500

If the photo isn’t clear then this is a close representation of the inner profile:

submarined
    Free Member

Road or MTB? If the lawyer I’d just tape them up and test it. If the bead is as loose as the Small block 8s on my son’s 24″ rim I’d put a tube in, if it’s tightish I’d air it up and ride it.

If the latter (I’m guessing this is the case from the profile) I’d run tubes.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s MTB, I’m happy to stick a tube in. Might be sensible anyway as it won’t see much use. I haven’t bought the tyres yet so just considering options if tubeless will work.

dovebiker

Looks like it – put a tube in, inflate and see if the tyre bead ‘snaps’ to the rim. Deflate inner and see how well the bead has secured to the rim. If the tyre bead is slack, then you’re probably going to need lots of tape and have lots of ‘fun’.

Northwind

I’ve had nontubeless rims that also have that sort of little ridge/platform, even with tubes it can be a good idea to hold the tyre that little bit better… but tbh I’ve also had nontubeless rims that just happened to work great tubeless, and tubeless rims that were a bit crap at it, so I’d say who cares, and just try it.

nickjb
    Free Member

So after the advice (thanks) I raced out to the shed and a mere 5 months later I’ve tried it with a tyre. It went up OK with a track pump. The bead did snap into the edge but with a “shuump” rather than a more positive sounding “THWACK”. It held air, as much as I would expect it to without sealant, very slight leak. Deflated it and the tyre stayed on the bead. Pushed off with light thumb pressure and back on another “shuump” when inflated. Would that count as tubeless? I’ve not had one go on without a decent “THWACK” before.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless (or not) rim profile’ is closed to new replies.