Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tubeless initial tyre seating problems
  • neville
    Free Member

So I’m after a bit of advice/tip passing on…… I’ve failed the past two evenings to get a tubeless ready Nobby Nic seated on a Sun Ringle 29er rim. The Tyre goes on to the rim with no problem but I can’t get the initial seating of the tyre on the rim. It just looks like the tyre bead is to far away from the rim and just won’t pop into the bead!

I’ve tried pumping furiously and I’ve tried strapping the tyre to the rim. Does anybody have any suggestions or is a compressor only job?

Cheers

reggiegasket
    Free Member

compressor and/or a rimstrip.

weeble
    Free Member

Big bucket of soapy water, whisk it up and then using a brush lubricate the bead of the tyre with the suds then pump like crazy

neville
    Free Member

I’m liking the speed of response, good effort chaps.

To clarify I’m using rims trips.

Weeble: Does the soapy water serve to create a temporary seam with the rimstrip? The bead just looks like it’s too far away from the edge of the rim!

schmiken

Have a look for the 9p ghetto inflator, works for me everytime.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

Fit the tyre with a tube and inflate. Leave for a bit then deflate and break one bead of the tyre only. Carefully remove the tube, fit the tubeless valve then inflate.

Doing this seals one bead so when you inflate its only the other side that needs to seal. Works perfectly for me and I only have a track pump.

peanut
    Free Member

I found using an inner tube to inflate tyre first till it ‘pops’ into rim on both sides, then deflate and remove inner tube by leaving one side of tyre bedded in. Put in the valve, pour in fluid and inflate with track pump with the non-bedded in side facing down. Not failed or needed a compressor yet.

peanut
    Free Member

Oh, as cbrsyd said 😳

richmtb

Give the tyre a bounce all the way around.

If the beads are sitting in the centre of the rim then no amount of pumping will get the bead to snap onto the rim.

Keep bouncing until the bead isn’t sitting in the centre of the rim. Once you’ve got the tyre a bit better seated then use some (very) soapy water to lubricate the rim and help it seal.

anc
    Free Member

+1 inflate with tube, then leave overnight. Goes up easy next day with soapy water and track pump. Even easier if the tyre is warm(room temp)

MSP

I have had some awkward ones where I had to combine seating with an innertube first, with soapy water and removing the core from the valve to increase airflow into the tyre. I think the soapy water helps create a temp seal and aids the tyre bead slipping onto the rim edge.

MSP

oh and some suggest leaving the tyre turned inside out overnight, but I never noticed any difference when trying it.

christhetall
    Free Member

I’ve had far fewer problems since I bought a better pump – sks aircon 6.0
    If it doesn’t work first time, then pour some very soapy water around the bead and try again

Quite tempted to build a ghetto inflater, but can someone tell me how to control air flow from inflated bottle to tyre ?

neville
    Free Member

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I’ve just managed to partially do it with a ghetto inflater. I had tried this previously but ruled it out as I couldn’t get the air to stay in the bottle. I think the key is to use a 5.5mm drill bit (RTFM!!!).

christhetall: I tried molegrips and kinking the hose to the tyre over, the latter method has worked better.

Now to go and whisk up some soapy water and try and get a pop!!!

robowns
    Free Member

Put soapy water on the bead and as above inflate with inndertube then release one side and pull the tube out. The other side remains seated, now with the un-seated side go round with a tyre lever at an angle and let the tyre slip just inside of the rim and onto the bead. Go all the way around and then inflate, works every time.

neville
    Free Member

Do I need to dry the soapy water from the inside of the tyre/rim once I have the bead popped on?

robowns
    Free Member

Nah its just used as an aid to help the bead slip into its position. Once both sides are on do the usual shaking around and get it to seal on all sides and your pretty much sorted.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

My two pence worth…..bed one side with tyre inflation with tube as above. I don’t bother with overnight, just carefully remove tube from one side leaving other bedded. Then upgrade from soapy water to straight dishwashing liquid.…more viscous = better temp fluid seal. After failing with prev multiple soapy water attempts this has worked flawlessly for me with floor pump inflates of non UST tyres on my flow rims. Just drizzle from nozzle on/between exposed bead and rim and squeeze gently from top of tyre to get bead as close as possible without disrupting bedded side.

schmiken

Quite tempted to build a ghetto inflater, but can someone tell me how to control air flow from inflated bottle to tyre?

I fold the tube over and then hold it with a clothes peg. You have to pump like a maniac to get mine up to 90psi, but once there I’ve done DH tyres, 29er tyres and everything without any issues.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

CO2 cartridges if you’re too lazy to build a ghetto inflater (must get around to it some day)

neville
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips and the advice, I now have a tubeless back wheel.

I had to use the ghetto inflater once the sealant was in, I then sloshed the sealant around and inserted the core. I appears to be holding quite a while later.

Does anybody have a good source of 24 inch presta tubes, I’m going to try and go ghetto on the front?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless initial tyre seating problems’ is closed to new replies.