Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Tubeless – Help!
  • gingerflash

Right, so I’ve given in and ordered a Stans kit from JRA.

I’m fitting new Conti Mountain Kings to 717s.

I’ve done exactly what the instructions say but with the yellow rim tape (2 layers) and my normal nylon rim tape, and the rubber strip, the tyre is still nowhere near sealing. The air’s just coming out all the way round. I’m using a track pump, lots of soapy water.

Tried a CO2 cartridge but that didn’t work. I tried pumping with the valve core removed, that didn’t help.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to get the thing to seal?

Thanks
    GF.

Vortexracing

Take the centre of the valve out and see if you can borrow a compressor or pop to the petrol station. That should do it

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Too much rim tape?

I did a 717 rim with Stan’s kit and only used one layer of yellow rim tape then the Stan’s rim strip. There was a bit of faffing to get the rim strip properly seated under the bead hook, but after that was done it all went without a hitch using a track pump, Stan’s sealant and a Bonty Jones tyre.

Could it be that all the rim tape is not allowing the rim strip to sit under the bead hook?

boxelder

Go to the garage and use the compressor. Sounds like a sloppy fitting tyre mind. I stick some goo in there – can get a little messy, but works.
    Once it’s sealed once, seems a lot easier next time.

mboy
    Free Member

Use a velox cloth rim tape (or 2 of them) instead? Seem to remember they reccomend using cloth rim tapes.

boxelder

Bonty tyres are about the easiest I’ve used.

gingerflash

Is that likely to make all the difference? Surely a petrol station compressor will be a schraeder valve won’t it?

andywhit
    Free Member

Bung a tube in there inflate to 50psi and leave overnight to allow the tyre to take on the shape of the rim. Then tomorrow remove tube and have another go.

Vortexracing

yip, but I use one of those brass adapters

molgrips
    Free Member

The yellow tape must have no wrinkles in it. If your rim has a deep well in the middle, then cut the strip narrower so it sits in the bottom of the well – no tape must have any kind of wrinkle or bubble in it.

You don’t need your original rim tape in there, that’s probably not helping at all.

Be careful with the CO2 that the gas isn’t all pissing straight out of the tyre – make sure the tyre is covering the valve hole…

Do you get it to inflate? On some tyres it takes a long time to seal the sidewalls.. so inflate, swill sealant about, inflate again, swill till you hear no hissing.. then come back in 10 mins and re-inflate. Ride up and down the road a lot, check pressures, then go on a PROPER ride – if you leave it overnight it’ll probably go down – if you have leaky tyres like I had with my Kenda Nevegals. Took a couple of rides to properly settle down.

Russell96

Have you made sure to pinch the tyre bead so it’s in the middle of the rim as much as possible, before inflating? I’ve also had more success pumping up tyres with no water/soapy mix on them and doing them dry, putting in the sealant later on.

singlespeedstu

I’m using a track pump, lots of soapy water.

Think more along the lines of watery soap than soapy water.

You need to get enough bubbles in between the bead and the rim to make a kind of makeshift seal to get it to blow out.

Bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles. 😉

gingerflash

Stuat – with yellow tape and the rimstrip, the tyre was just about falling off. With yellow tape, now 2 nylon rimstrips and the rubber strip, it’s a better fit but still not close to sealing. It’s still quite easy to get the rimstrip under the bead hook apart form round the valve.

gingerflash

At the moment, as per the Stans instructions, I’m trying to inflate it without sealant, just soapy water.

No, it’s not inflating even for a second.

without my normal rim tape I can practically get my finger between the bead and rim. Miles too slack.

gregc
    Free Member

Don’t use Conti’s ,they’re very difficult to get sealed . Use Maxxis tyres instead .

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Hmmmm.

I found that the rim strip only just fitted under the bead hook with just one layer of yellow tape and that was after a lot of massaging to iron out the bulges.

It’s working a treat now, though.

gingerflash

I am not using different tyres just for the sake of tubeless.

Autoelec
    Free Member

Gingerflash, I run the same set up and had a real game getting them to seal. However I mangaged it in the end!! By using an “emergency” tyre inflator. Although they arn’t high pressure I found it provided a constant supply of air for me to manipulate the tyre to rim. I found keeping the tyre on the floor and “patting” it helped!!! Thats after I launched it across the garage a couple of times!!!

solamanda
    Free Member

Get a valve and remove/cut off the centre bit, so you still have a ‘valve’ screwed in without the valve centre. This will allow you to screw a schraeder adapter and get tons of pressure in with a compressor or CO2.

nickc

You’re not doing anything wrong, it a pants system…. 😕

(says the grumpy ex-stans user)

gingerflash

What’s an emergency tyre inflator? I’ve got an electric compressor for the car, only a 12v low pressure thing, might that work? I’m going to have to get a presta/schaeder adaptor from somewhere though aren’t I?

This is looking like a lot more trouble than it’s worth. I have already spent about 3 hours swearing and shouting at it but that hasn’t worked either.

Pauly

What did you do wrong? Not using Mavic UST rims matey.

andywhit
    Free Member

As above, put a tube in and inflate well. Put it aside for the night and try tomorrow before you have a breakdown 😉

auricgoldfinger

Never got that combination to seal. Sidewalls on the black chilli MK’s I used seemed pretty porous too which didn’t help
    Inflated Bonty tyres first time. Keep trying more soap and use a compressor not much else you can try…

gingerflash

The porous nature of the tyres is the least of the problem. The air is just pissing out between tyre bead and rim. There’s about a quarter inch gap all the way round.

As for using Bontragers or Maxxis, I don’t see the point of going tubeless if you’re then restricted to certain tyres. I thought the point of the conversion was you could use any tyres you like. JRA’s site says “Most Continental tyres work well”.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Fitted stans to a 717 rim sunday. As prev mentioned, you want the sealing strip to be consistantly fitted all around the rim, evenly between the sidewalls and even tension around the rim. This took the most time for me,getting it nice and even, especially around the valve which was a sod to get under the rim to give a good, even, bead hook. I also found hanging the wheel with the valve at the top easier for inflating, rather than being on the floor.

I only had to use 2 layers of the yellow tape pulled very tight under the rim strip.

HTH
    Pete

PaulMc
    Free Member

I use Conti tyres (kevlar verti pros) but on Mavic UST rims. At the first attempt I simply could not get them to seal even with plenty of soapy water. I used the ‘inflate hard with an inner tube’ method to get them into shape (don’t think I had to leave them overnight) and they were straightforward after that. Just needed some vigorous action with a track pump to get a seal. Don’t know how this relates to the Stans kit though.

gingerflash

Besides using a compressor or a different brand of tyres, I’ve tried everything above. I’ve had the tyre hung rather than on the floor. I’ve tried yellow tape on its own, with normal rim tape on top and with two layers of rim tape on top. The rimstrip is even and tight under the bead hook. the tyre bead is in the centre of the rim.

I’ll try with more concentrated soap.

I am grateful for the help, just extremely frustrated. 😥

gingerflash

While I’ve been on here, I’ve put a tube in and blown up to 50psi. Guess what – **** rim split open along the seam!!!

Time for a beer I think.

Autoelec
    Free Member

Thats the thing Gingerflash, yep get a presta adapter. Sounds like your in the same place as I was (pissed off). Trust me, you’ll get there. I do agree with others comments about the tyres being porous. Just spend some time getting them sealed once they’re inflated.

gingerflash

I’m expecting them to be porous and need more sealant and more shaking, that’s OK. I just want to get some **** air into the **** things.

mboy
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

I’m using a track pump, lots of soapy water.

Think more along the lines of watery soap than soapy water.

You need to get enough bubbles in between the bead and the rim to make a kind of makeshift seal to get it to blow out.

Bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles. [:wink:]

Cue a chorus of “I’m forever blowing bubbles” from SingleSpeedStu 😉

singlespeedstu

Bubbles…….

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

I think with tubeless you just have to admit you need a compressor – it’s not even an issue once you get one – previously I was swearing and cursing and covered in latex and it was a right pain in the hole. compressor now and no issue’s, makes changing tyres just as easy as with tubes.

aldi are selling them for about £60 or 80 bucks at the moment

paulosoxo
    Free Member

GF. I had exactly the same problem. Couldn’t get my high rollers to inflate. Have you drilled the inner of the rim for the valve as per the stans video?

I could only inflate mine using a co2 cartridge.

I put loads of sealant in. Shook like mad, turned the wheel a bit, shook like mad, etc etc, till the bead was well covered in latex. Then inflated with a co2 can.

It was a nightmare!

nickc

there’s a recurring theme here…

gingerflash

Having spent £70 on tyres, £50 on the kit, I’m not buying a compressor as well. I really don’t fancy drilling out my rims either.

If I put sealant in now, it’ll just come straight out and onto the floor.

I’ll put tubes in over night and have another go tomorrow with thicker soap. If that doesn’t work, I’m putting tubes back in.

mboy
    Free Member

nickc – Member

there’s a recurring theme here…

LOL @ nickc

There’s a recurring theme every time I ride a bike with inner tubes. I’ll give you a clue, the word I’m looking for begins with a P and sounds like “Juncture” 😉

Honestly, losing inner tubes was a revelation. Gutted I Had to run inner tubes in my latest bikes wheels as an emergency measure (yes, I punctured, tiniest thorn in the world, but still enough to put a hole in a tube!). Lack of a tube and a bit of sealant deals with this nicely!

Oh, and FWIW, I don’t think it’s fair to have a go at Stan’s when in fairness I think the total disparity between all tyre manufacturer’s “bead tightness” let’s call it, is ridiculous! That said, I used to be a bit of a serial tyre swapper, but have now found tyres to suit any of my needs from either the Maxxis or Bontrager stables (the 2 most reliable when converting to tubeless). Never been much of a fan of Continental myself…

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

hey, I know its alot of cash but a compressor is a worthwhile future investment. tubeless is brilliant once you get it working – it may be a pain next time you change you tyres if you don’t have one – or put the tyre on the wrong way round….

or find a garage with an old type compressor it’ll pop it up in two ticks.
    not one of these new digital crap things – they don;t work

oh and put the sealant in first – you’ll end up having to let the air out to put the sealant in if you don’t. the tyre will likely come off the bead again.

nickc

Pjuncture?… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – Help!’ is closed to new replies.