Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tubeless for CX advice
  • Milese
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m new to CX and out of touch with MTB, and I use the bike for racing CX only.

I’ve just got a pair of wheels built with the Stans Alpha 340 rims, which are made for tubeless.

I got them used, with the intension of running tubes, but am now thinking about tubeless possibilities, which I’ll try and discuss (from my limited understanding) below:

I’d need:

2 layers of yellow rim tape
    Tubeless value
    Tubeless sealant
    Tyres – will my current (non tubeless specific) Schwalbe CX Pro clinchers be ok?

Weight – I’ll obviously save ~260g from a pair of inner tubes, but will add 2 valves and some sealant, and idea what that’s likely to weigh?

Reliability – how reliable will this be? I’ll gain reliability from not having a tube to puncture, but risk burping air? Is there any difference in riding a flat with a tube or without a tube (ie both are impossible) as one of the benefits of a tubular tyre is the ability to ride a flat to the pits for a wheel change.

Ride – will be able to run lower pressures without fear of pinching, and running without tubes should give better feel / performance.

Cost – if I can use my current wheels and tyres then its just some sealant, valves and tape – £20?

Any more thoughts / suggestions or risks appreciated!

Thanks!

benji
    Free Member

Run too low and you risk burping them. There is a lot more info on the american cyclocross magazine website about running tubeless. I’m still on tubes as I like to be able to change my tyres round to suit conditions. Tempted to try it, and then buy a second set of wheesls instead, be interested to hear how you get on.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve recently set up my rear CX wheel tubeless using non tubeless Shimano wheels using Geax XG TNT tubeless ready tyres. Initially I set them up using electrical tape and a tubeless valve but suffered a bit of burping so I trimmed a 29er stans rim strip I had lying about ( it was too wide for the rim). Works great and no burps now, sealed well and seems solid.

plus-one

Yes you want tubeless ready tyres(. Not much choice ) but worth it.. Easy to inflate less chance of burping and hold air better.. The non tubeless tyres I tried were hard to inflate/burped etc.. I’m running vittoria xg tubeless ready ..

So far so good 🙂

High on bikes stock em

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless for CX advice’ is closed to new replies.