Tubeless experts – Helpppppppp please?

Home Forum Bike Forum Tubeless experts – Helpppppppp please?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless experts – Helpppppppp please?
  • You need the yellow rim tape, you got that yes? Then, leave inflated , overnight ideally, then remove the tube, leave one bead seated. Then take the tubeless valve core out, and inflate with a track pump. If it won’t seal, get neat washing up liquid and squirt it around the rim. I trend to slosh it around with a paint brush. It always inflates for me like that.

heavy_rat

Wot he said

ben10

Iv never had any luck wirh a hand pump I use a compressor then leve for 2 to 3 days befor I deflate

eyerideit

I’m putting some 2ply tyres on my bike for the Alps.

The front’s went on like a dream, 2.5″ Minion 2 ply, running a rim strip on a Hope II / ZTR Flow

But the rear, a 2.35″ High Roller on the same rim with or without a strip won’t inflate. With just the tape it’s too loose and with the tyre won’t set in the bead. I’ve got a tube in at the moment pumped up to 60psi to help shape it. Is there anything else I need to do.

It’s an older Flow rim and the front already had a rim strip in and was running perfectly tubeless, but the rear had an inner tube.

Here’s a picture to help identify the age of the rim

Any suggestions appreciated as long as they’re helpful or funny.

Thanks as always

I always find they seat better by having the unseated side of the tyre face down on the floor.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

What theendisnigh said. I’ve just spent all weekend with a tube AND Stans in my Schwalbes to finally get them on tubeless tonight.

Wasted loads of Stans ending up with only 3/4 of a scoop full in the rear. It’s going to be a nerve racking ride tomorrow wondering if that’s enough.

Run NEAT washing up liquid round the bead both sides (LOTS) and pump up – PING PING done

Premier Icon wheelie
    Subscriber

I did a Spesh Ground Control and a Captain today. The Ground Control went straight up with track pump. Captain would not go up, so I put the monkey spunk in it + 50 %. With a bit of spluttering it went straight up.Dropped the pressure so it was just and so seated then bounced it all round to make sure it is even……..has not dropped any since!

Weasel

I’ve resorted to the air pump down the local Shell garage to get the tyre seated before.

eyerideit

You need the yellow rim tape, you got that yes?

Yes, it already had yellow tape in it, I’ve boght some more as well in case it didn’t.

Then, leave inflated , overnight ideally, then remove the tube, leave one bead seated. Then take the tubeless valve core out, and inflate with a track pump. If it won’t seal, get neat washing up liquid and squirt it around the rim. I trend to slosh it around with a paint brush. It always inflates for me like that.

The front which was already running tubeless had a rim strip over the yellow tape. So once the tyres been left to form I’ll deflate and put in the rim strip, mount the tyre with LOTS of neat washing up liquid as suggested and try to inflate it.

With just the yellow tape the tyre felt loose.

Wasted loads of Stans ending up with only 3/4 of a scoop full in the rear. It’s going to be a nerve racking ride tomorrow wondering if that’s enough.

The Minion I took off the front had no fluid in it, just lots of dried film. It must have done a few hundred miles as well.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

🙂

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Yup, previous tyres I’ve removed have had no fluid / spikey ball. My only concern is that enough has run around the rim to seal it…. If its up tomorrow I guess the answer is yes…..

golfcurry

put two lots of yellow rim tape on and double the amount of liquid usually put in, i had this issue and that solved it.

iain65

My last resort is a co2 cylinder, nearly always works 🙂

eyerideit

Lots of washing up liquid worked and than pumping like f*** with the floor pump worked a treat.

Thanks for the tip.

Both tyres have 60psi in at the moment and seem to be holding fine, will let air out and ride later in the week.

neninja

Someone on here shared a tip ages ago that always works for me with stubborn tyres.

Use the tips above eg one bead seated, washing up liquid etc but then stretch an inner tube around the outside of the tyre and then pull the unseated bead out towards the edge of the rim. This pulls the other bead in tight to the rim and it will usually go up straight away with a track pump no matter how stubbornly it has refused to do so before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless experts – Helpppppppp please?’ is closed to new replies.