Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless Cx advice please!
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I’m just after a bit of advice please on what tyres I should go for. I use my Croix de Fer mainly for commuting but also a little bit of off-roading. I really like the Conti CrossSpeed tyres I’ve been using, they seem slick enough to be fast on road while still being grippy off it – at least in the summer months, anyway.

I’ve had the occasional puncture on roads, and I don’t feel I can go ‘full gas’ off road because I’ve pinched a few times. I’m running about 40 psi and they’re 700 x 35c tyres. So I think I want to try tubeless.

1) Are the advantages the same as on mountain bikes? I.e. will they (mostly) prevent pinches and prevent thorns etc?

2) Are Cx tyres more or less likely to burp than MTB ones?

3) Are there any particular tyres that come recommended?

kiwijohn

1) Pretty much
    2) Not in my experience. Only had 1 burp hitting a pot hole at speed on a corner. Would have punctured a tube for sure.
    3) I’m running Stans Alpha 400’s & ran Specialized Trigger pros tubeless all last summer, they’re tubeless ready. Also had good luck with Schwalbe Smart Sams in a wire bead. Currently running Surly Knard 41’s in a wire bead & they’ve taken a hammering with no issues.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Ran most of last race season with Continental CycloX King 32mm setup tubeless, only time I had problems was trying to run too low in soft conditions. I think I was possibly sub 20psi. Most the time was about 30psi or just under. Amazed how well they held on.

Drac

Might be worth trying STW CX site.

http://grit.cx/forum

i_like_food

I have ridden Hutchinson tubless ready with a rimstrip for a few years and they’ve been OK.

Burping only happened with silly low pressures (10 psi) and I never punctured (obviously I’ll have a flurry now).

kilo

we use either maxxis mud wrestlers or vittoria xg pro. The maxxis have worked with either tubeless or non version, I’ve not had any luck with the non tubeless xg pro although I belive others have.

No burps and surprisinglly ok on road

gee
    Free Member

Vittoria XG Pro TNT are brilliant. Light, grippy, durable and tubeless easily.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve been using Bontrager CX0s tubeless on Crest 29ers – fast on hardpack and roads, surprisingly grippy on anything else short of proper mud. There’s a TR version in 34 and a 35 non-TR, used both. The only problems I’ve had are that running 50-60psi, the one time I’ve punctured, the sealant struggled to seal the hole straight away.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Cx advice please!’ is closed to new replies.