Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • tubeless blowout – what have I done wrong ?
  • MadBillMcMad

& you are not allowed to say ‘going tubeless’

This is my first venture in to tubless & it all appeared to be going so well. Built it up. Held its pressure at 35psi in the garage for a week.

Rode it up/down some rocks – all appeared good.

Went for a night ride & 90 minutes in the tyre blew off the rim completely with a loud bang when I went over a totally innocuous rock having ridden loads all ready

Build – Newly built up ZTR 355 with an almost (100km) new Panracer Fire Xc Pro kevlar beaded tyre.

My guess is I try a different tyre.

Mackem

I had similar a problem, but I found a 2 inch thorn in the tyre. My theory is that the sealant didnt seal hole quick enough which led to burping which then led to the thing rolling off the rim totally. I dont have a tubeless specific rim, so it’s a good theory imo. Surprised it’s happened on a ZTR though. BUT this is the first incident in 6 months, I previously had punctures every other ride, so i’m sticking with it and eventually will replace the rim. Basically, I think you’ve been unlucky, stick with it.

eskimonumber1

I think the Panaracer sidewalls are as thin as cigarette paper, perhaps it was this causing movement on the rock and for it to burp off the rim.

Most Maxxis are a better bet, thicker sidewalls.

stevied
    Free Member

I blew a Maxxis Minion off my Flow rim when I hit a root square on. That was a single ply @ 30psi. Sometimes things just happen. Did you check your psi before you went out?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Panracer Fire Xc Pro

is that a tubeless (ready) tyre? ime you need tubeless ready tyres for it to work best.

slimsi
    Free Member

Hans Dampf were easy to fit and ridden Coedy Brenin and Cannock on them at low pressures no issues plus many local rides and Swinley no issues at all…

inflated with track pump easy first time…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Are Panaracer tyres recommended by Stans for use on their rims?

MadBillMcMad

no its not a tubeless tyre.

The pressure was supposed to be 35psi but on the road run in it did feel a little low/squishy for my liking. On the off road/rocky section it felt great until the ‘booooom’

Will swap the tyre over with an Ardent on my son’s bike & try again.

vertebratetom

From memory, Panaracer tyres have a pretty loose bead. You could pretty much use your little fingers to remove the last set I had (about ten years ago, admittedly). Get a tyre that’s a tighter fit and it should work a lot better.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Panracer Fire Xc Pro

This.

soobalias
    Free Member

shortcuts to tubeless ‘can’ work, but they fail much more often than doing it properly.

ask people with UST rims and UST Tyres how many failures they have. Even with TLR, 2Bliss and LUST tyres failure rates are low it seems

OP, my personal experience with Stans is not great, but combining with a normal tyre is where you have gone wrong.

DenDennis
    Free Member

OP – was it a ‘burp’ or a blowout?
    I’ve had both, sounds more like a blowout from your description.
    only had these where the pressure is too HIGH, literally stretching the bead off the rim and damaging it beyond use.
    Can you still fit the tyre on?
    a burp can happen even with UST tyre and rim systems,
    but I’ve never had one with ZTR rims, stans-compatible normal tyres (eg maxxis, schwalbe) AND the right rimstrip.
    are you using rimstrip or just the tape?

njee20
    Free Member

There used to be specific recommendations against using Panaracer tyres because of their propensity to do this!

rickon
    Free Member

As above. End of thread 😉 Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres are not for tubeless’ing, too floppy.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah, the normal tyre on Stans is usually fine but the oddest little thing can sometimes blow the tyre clean off. I’ve had with Maxxiz advantage and crossmark. Have given up on gone lust for the rear tyre now. Does seem to be a rear specific scenario. Other than that non UST tyres will loose air, and you could put some electrical tape round the rim to make a snugger fit

Northwind

Panaracers can be like wizard’s sleeves… You need to be a wee bit cautious using non-tubeless tyres, most do work but not all.

I blew a non-tubeless Clutch off my Flow Ex the other night, not sure whether the bead was damaged beforehand, certainly was after! Think probably the former, was a well used tyre.

MadBillMcMad

OP here
    Stans rim tape but no rim strip
    most definitely a Blow out rather than a burp

Will definitely dump the panracer.
    Will see if I can persevere with non tubeless first off.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Try a Maxxis and you’ll be fine. UST & dual ply both work really well but I’ve also run single ply tubeless without any issues on the front of an XC bike.
    Bontrager & Specialized have also been good for me.

I’ve not used the 355 but I do have Crest, Flow & Flow EX, all running tubeless with just the yellow tape.

stevied
    Free Member

Try a Maxxis and you’ll be fine. UST & dual ply both work really well

or EXO casing works very well without so much weight

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘tubeless blowout – what have I done wrong ?’ is closed to new replies.