Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless – are my tyres already 'seated'
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

About to convert some wheels.
    Read a lot about getting tyres to seat on the rim, but not sure what i’m looking for with that.
    I’ve been running with tubes and currently the tyres are very tightly on the rim – to the extent that it’s v.difficult to even get a tyre lever in.

Can i assume that the tyres are already well seated and i should just be able to slip tube out, put tubeless valve and stans in?
    (rims already taped up)

Jim

jekkyl

I reckon perhaps you’re overthinking it. Normally tyres have a little raised line on the tyre just back from the bead. To make sure it’s seated correctly just look at the line making sure it is equal distance from the rim all the way round. If it isn’t deflate and inflate again, normally up to about 45/50 psi to hear that pop, soapy water normally helps achieve this.

mildbore

“Seating” refers to how the bead of the tyre hooks onto the lip of the rim, so if your tyres are on with a tube then yes they should already be seated. If you can unseat a short section, pour in sealant then pop that bit of the bead back on the rim they will probably pump up fine. Give it a go and good luck

mildbore

“Seating” refers to how the bead of the tyre hooks onto the lip of the rim, so if your tyres are on with a tube then yes they should already be seated. If you can unseat a short section, pour in sealant then pop that bit of the bead back on the rim they will probably pump up fine. Give it a go and good luck

akira

Um he might have trouble be getting the tube out if he just unbeads a short section, I’d maybe unbead at least one side…..
    Is unbead a word?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Yes you’re tyres are seated, however as above you will have to unseat one side to get the inner tube out. All is not lost though as having one side still seated makes it a lot easier to inflate a tubeless tyre, and also your tyre will already be stretched with no creases in etc that new tyres can have. Once you’ve removed the inner tube I’d put the unseated side back on then pump it up until you hear the bead snap into place (max say 40-45psi?). Once both sides are seated you can add sealant, either through the valve core or by unseating a small section.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Can i assume that the tyres are already well seated and i should just be able to slip tube out, put tubeless valve and stans in?

Yes 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The full sequence of events is:

1. remove the tyre
    2. clean the tyre bead and rim hook
    3. fit valve
    4. refit tyre
    5. add sealant
    6. run soapy suds round the bead
    7. inflate and seat
    8. wipe clean and slosh sealant about

That will ensure a good seal and a properly seated tyre. If you want to bypass some of these then crack on but that’s the full list…

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Excellent – thanks all.
    Very probably over thinking it, but garage time is generally pretty limited so just aiming to make sure i’ve covered all bases.
    Cheers all

scotroutes

You should only have to unseat one bead – in order to remove the current tube and fit the new valve.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Whoever said I was over thinking it was right, once you’ve got all the bits and give it a go suddenly all makes sense!
    Lot of leaking around valve was solved with extra layer of tape, then seated, sealant no problem – still up the next morning, happy days!

deadkenny
    Free Member

When you use a tube, the pressure inside the tube will seat the tyre nicely. When tubeless it’s often a bit more tricky to seat the tyre with air alone without air escaping in the process.

p.s. on the tyre lever hassle of taking a tyre off, unseat the tyre fully so the bead sits in the middle of the rim, both sides. Much easier to lever off then.

jam-bo

Cut the tube and you might be able to get it out without unseating the whole of one side.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – are my tyres already 'seated'’ is closed to new replies.