Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless advice
  • whyteskye
    Free Member

Hi all

I’ve had enough of pinching innertubes so I’m looking to give tubeless a try. Also ready for some new tyres too so timing is good

I fancy going with Maxxis, maybe a High roller II front and Ardent back

Please could anyone advise on what TR option i should be going with – in the link below? Also what sealant i should go for?

I have 27.5 Hope enduro wheels. Already have the valves and wheels have been pre taped

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-high-roller-ii-ardent-mtb-tyre-combo/rp-prod152577

Type of riding will be my local hills and trail centres

Thanks!

ta11pau1

Tesa 4289 tape off eBay, and for sealant I like orange seal endurance but everyone has their favourite. For valves – any £10 or less from the bay, I got some Joe’s noflats but yes some decent cheap no-name ones on eBay.

joebristol

I’m Maxxis terms your need TR (tubeless ready) on the sidewall for tubeless.

Persoanlly I like the minion dhf on the front and either dhr2 or aggressor on the back, depending on the weather. As it’s summer (ish) now I’ve just put an aggressor on the back.

That setup should be good for trail centres and natural stuff that isn’t too boggy.

In terms of compound then 3c on the front is good and maybe dual compound on the back.

Casing wise – Exo is probably a happy middle ground.

They aren’t cheap tyres though.

razorrazoo

Maxxis tyres on Hope Enduro rims here. Found the Hope rims more challenging than DTSwiss and Spank. I had to double layer the tape and use plenty of soapy water to get tyres seated using a track pump. I also recommend fitting the tyres with tubes for 24 hours an then trying, remove tube and fit valve with one of the beads still in place, makes the process easier too.

Minon DHF TR Exo 3c on the front, DHR TR Exo on the rear. Pretty good combo year round.

alexpalacefan

+1 for Orange sealant. Seals holes that Stans just pisses out through.

APF

ta11pau1

Ahh missed the bit about rims being pre-taped and valves already bought, make sure the tape is actually tubeless tape though.

If you can, try WT tyres, 2.5/2.4, a WT 2.5 DHF up front and Aggressor WT 2.5 or DHR II WT (think it’s a 2.4) at the rear would be good.

johnmu

You can use electrical tape rather than rim tape.  Works fine.  Gaffer tape doesn’t but gorilla tape does the best imho.

Stans sealant works pretty well.  But I reckon they will all do the job just don’t waste your money on anything too fancy.

When j first went tubeless I made a right **** of myself trying to inflate them with no luck and spending a lot of money using the forecourt air machine.  Then I found on one forum or another instructions for making your own inflator with a 3 litre fizzy drinks bottle, like this one. Marvellous

Also buy yourself some anchovies, for sealing the bigger holes. And always carry a spare tube

good luck, you won’t regret going tubeless

jakehinton
    Free Member

New finish line sealant is meant to be good and supposedly doesn’t dry out so will last the lifetime of the tyre. Its quite expensive though and I haven’t actually tried it yet.

crashrash

another vote for DHF front and DHR2 back end – I run 3C exo both but  you can save a bit with dual on the back. I agree with razorrazoo about sticking a tube in to get the bead on – I have WTB i23 rims on my T129RS and they are a pain unless you put a tube in first. If you can go bigger its worth it as well. Just put a 2.5WT DHF on the front and it is a big jump from the 2.3!
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”></div>

jakehinton
    Free Member

Dhf/dhr2 is a good combo, if you shop around you can normally find them for around £30 each

crashrash

Just in case CRC do their “out of stock ” thing – I tend to get Maxxis from Next day tyres.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

For sealent I’ve become a convert to Stans race formula. Definitely seals bigger holes than normal Stans formula, which was my previous go to after trying a few others. Not cheap mind, but as you lose less of it by it pissing out all over the trail through a hole not sealing / having to put a tube in trailside I figure it off set some of the additional cost

my biggest tip for tubeless would be if you try it and like it, and are likely to be swapping more than a couple of tyres in a year, go buy yourself a cheap compressor from Aldi / Halfords / screwfix / whoever has them on offer at the time.  Makes the whole thing painless and should last you years

Nobby

You could try the Nobbyflator VII for your tubeless inflation woes.

whyteskye
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.  I’ve gone for Maxxis Minnion DHF for the front and Agressor on the back.  I have some spare wheels for when it gets more boggy out there I can easily swap.

Also wen to for Stans notubes and gorilla tape.

Thanks for advise, I’ll fit them with tubes first for a day or so before I attempt to go tubeless

Great service from NextDay

whyteskye
    Free Member

@razorrazoo

@johnmu

Thanks for your comment.  what rim tape did you use?  My enduro wheels have velox 13mm tape already applied (but never used).  Im wondering whether to remove this and use gorilla tape

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless advice’ is closed to new replies.