• This topic has 217 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 218 total)
  • Tube strikes
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Plus, why are all you lot moaning

Because it’s their raison d’etre…

Can you imagine, if they had nowt to moan about/no-one else to blame for stuff? They’d implode!

andywhit
    Free Member

>Try not being so lazy, with yer googling, please.

> £32,000p.a. London Tube Driver

Article date 19th Feb 2004 🙄

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Salary_for_tube_driver

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Funny how Wiki answers entry for that was blank, only a couple of hours ago… 🙄

EDIT: I admit my own searches have thrown up useless out of date articles, even if they do have today’s date on them…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

(RudeBoy in admitting error shocker)

Anyway, so what? So they get paid £40k. Lorry petrol tanker drivers get paid something like that. Being a Tube driver is a highly stressful and demanding job, and thanks to decades of underinvestment in the Tube network, their jobs are harder than they need to be.

The other jobs are reasonably paid. How much do some on here earn? For sitting on their arses going on STW all day! I love the irony of some well paid people moaning about how much others, that they consider ‘beneath’ them, get paid. As though those who work in ‘lowlier’ jobs don’t ‘deserve’ what they get.

And as far as I can see, one of the main points of the union is to fight against future redundancies. Which are in the pipeline, as TFL plans to cut jobs/save money, which would lead to lowering of safety for workers and passengers.

Anyone who thinks they earn too much; go and apply for, and get the job. Then tell everyone that you don’t deserve that much, or shoon’t strike.

hora
    Free Member

So basically, because you’re inconvenienced, you want all Tube workers sacked?

The Striking ones. YES.

When I started work in London I was on 12k. platform idiots were on 17k.

You know, the ones who cant speak English clearly when they give safety announcements as a train pulls in. Kinda critical for safety/or not fulfilling what they need to do as a basic requirement.

They dont tend to strike for passengers benefit do they. Vapid idiots most of them. Evening standards news articles on them used to wind me up royally. One of the reasons I started riding again actually.

hora
    Free Member

BTW- that wasnt a racist comment Rudeboy but hearing someone mumble in a strong African or subcontinent voice- everyone used to turn to each other laugh and shrug shoulders. All I could mainly work out (through many many times) was ‘maaaaanddd gaaarrrp plrrrease’ (then mumbling incoherence).

London Underground = Stunningly great idea. In practice a Bureacratical wet dream for all employed there.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hora- be’ave yerself.

Personally, I’d like to see people in jobs like Transport, Health, Fire, Police, Social/Public Services etc get paid higher, as they are of more value to all of society, and people who work for banks etc get paid less. Just redistribute the wealth, to those whose jobs are of greater value for all people, not those who work to line the pockets of the already wealthy. I think that some of the problems in the socially valuable professions are because people aren’t ‘rewarded’ according to their social value. Increase the rewards, then maybe people might be better motivated. Which might increase their efficiency. No wonder people prefer to go for jobs in the greed sector, if they can; the rewards are greater. This leaves the vital jobs with insufficient numbers of people, with insufficient skills/abilities, to do them effectively. If being a nurse carried a greater economic reward, then maybe people would be encouraged to become nurses, rather than work for Bank of Greed and Greedier.

djglover
    Free Member

40K a year may sound a lot to people in the provinces, but you need to consider that it will be shift work, long hours, there will be no bonus and no career prospect, plus you will have to support your family in London on a fairly meagre wage for the region.

Personally I think they are overpaid by around 10-15% but they have a very good bargaining power thanks to the power of their union so I think good luck to them in a way, maybe the bus drivers could organise themselves to do something similar but I doubt it as its not a realistic form of transport for most Londoners.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Good point, DJ. I admit, I was a tad surprised, on reading that drivers do in fact get over £40k, but if you consider rents/mortgages in London and the South East, and the increased cost of living, then salaries like that, for such a job, are understandable. I don’t think they are particularly ‘overpaid’, compared to a lot of other jobs. After tax etc you’re taking home what, a bit under £600 a week? There’s people on here that earn that a day, I’m sure. Say you’ve got 2-3 kids. Taking out rent/mortgage of £250-£300 a week, once you’ve paid bills etc, there’s not a lot to play with. You’d be wanting your partner to work as well, certainly, if you wanted to enjoy a ‘comfortable’ lifestyle. Considering some of the luxuries one or two people on this thread have boasted about, I find it a bit ‘rich’ for them to complain about others’ wages…

hora
    Free Member

They drive on a fixed track FFS. Its a monotomous job. Can’t afford to have 2-3 kids? Then dont have 2-3 kids. Some of the arguement/justifications for affecting others lives is stoopid.

Why should they be allowed to hold others livelihoods to ransom? Dont like your job? **** off and work somewhere else. Oh you wont make 40k so your ‘stuck’ in this one huh. McDonalds not paying enough for you?

hora
    Free Member

**** hate Liberal-apologists sometimes.

trailmonkey

Why should they be allowed to hold others livelihoods to ransom

It’s called a legal right to hold industrial action. Next time you’re having your tea break at work or having a day off on a public holioday, just remember how you got there.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well said, TM.

Mind, some of this lot would moan if they had the wrong kind of cup for their tea, or something.

Oh, and Hora;

Shut up.

Thanks. 😀

djglover
    Free Member

Everyone who strikes is holding someone else to ransom Hora. If it seems the tube drivers 40k makes you feel undervalued for what you do then maybe you should have chosen a different career path. I can think of several other careers that involve similar effort or skill level and pay as much or more then them.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I think all the striking tube staff shoud be fired without a right to appeal.
    Our economy is suffering badly and those feckers want large payrises?? Sack them all, ignore their so-****-called human rightrs and let us, people living in London, get on with our lives. No tube at night, no tube on Xmas Day, no tube this Thursday so all the morons can watch the footie at home on tele. Basturds!

aP
    Free Member

I’d like you to take an educated guess on how long the Tube network would carry on running without engineering hours at night.

djglover
    Free Member

The service could feasibly be extended into the later night or earlier morning though, surely. I know our network is the oldest in the world but other countries operate much longer hours on the subways

aP
    Free Member

So on a section of track with less than 4 hours engineering hours how do you get any work done if you take an hour off each end seeing that you have to vacate the site and have it cleared at least 40 minutes before the power comes back on?

djglover
    Free Member

work faster

aP
    Free Member

Is that like the old joke about the man talking about him and his wife trying to have a baby, and his 7 year old son asking “why can’t you just put more men on the job”?

djglover
    Free Member

Are you an RMT union steward?

IHN
    aP
    Free Member

I wish.

Lanesra
    Free Member

The fact of it is Bob Crow is a massive ****. I can’t wait till Dave gets into power next year and with Boris, finishes of the job Maggie started and smashes the RMT.

Strike for a legitimate purpose (not that I can think of one), not because a “member” was sacked for opening the doors on the wrong side then lying about safety checks after and another of your members was caught stealing

Tube drivers pay and conditions http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/102222/102225/103142/london_underground/

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah, the usual shite from backwards arsenal… 🙄

This strike is actually about securing pay rises in line with the level of inflation, and no redundancies. Tube workers claim they are already understaffed, so any job cuts would lead to them being spread even thinner, which would undoubtedly lead to compromises in the safety of workers and passengers, as I’ve already said (pity no-one was listening..). Get it right. As for the reinstatement of the two workers, I think that’s a separate issue that is being confused with this dispute.

djglover
    Free Member

but the level of inflation is negative if you’re talking RPI, so 0 is a good deal at the moment. 5% is decadent.

Lanesra
    Free Member

🙄

Again the worlds self proclaimed expert on everything spouting shit, the RMT have already been offered an above inflation pay rise but, turned it down unless the workers were reinstated (one of them is in crown court next month).

Beyond you, I don’t think there’s much support for Bob Crow (the Scargill of the 00’s).

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23705155-details/Tube+shutdown+by+dispute+over+two+sacked+men/article.do

http://news.google.co.uk/news/more?um=1&ned=uk&cf=all&ncl=dM_D7awy1liVSiM41OW_880Y0DZWM

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Arsenal; calm yerself down mate, and stop getting in such a tiz.

As for vulnerable people: carers who need to use transport to get to them can claim additional expenses if they require taxis. Many people who need medical treatment can also claim if necessary. There will also be provision for ambulances to take people to hospital, for appointments, if needed.

So much outrage, which is actually being whipped up by the media, surprise surprise. Apparently, there may be some limited Tube services still operating tomorrow and up til 7pm on Thursday. It’s not the end of the World!

So, watch those knees jerking; you might kick yerselves in the face!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh, and regardless of what any of us think; the majority of RMT members who voted, voted in favour of strike action. Democracy, no? Arsenal; weren’t you banging on about just that, on the BNP thread? 🙄

Lanesra
    Free Member

I’m not in a tiz at all.

The strike is not legitimate, the right to strike is one that should be used as a very last resort not, as a yearly throwing your toys out of the pram exercise. Unions have done good work in the past but, when **** like Bob Crow get into a position of power the publics sympathies (esp in the current economic climate) tends to wesr thin

And if you think the RMT is a democracy you’re even more deluded than I previously thought

http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/News.asp?NodeID=92597

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Nightie night.

X

Aidy
    Free Member

I think I’d be more sympathetic to their cause if they didn’t have a strike every single year.

A quick search over the BBC news website, and a cursory glance makes it at least look like they’ve had one every year since at least 2000. *

It doesn’t actually inconvenience me anyway, bikes are great 🙂

* I’ve not checked this in great detail, but this is certainly the third strike in as many years, and there’s definitely been more before that.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Rudeboy [i]“Come on then’ what, mate?”[/i]

Rudeboy “We could all find statistics to support whatever argument we have…”

Let’s have your stats. You seem quite convinced that you are right and everyone else is wrong so where are your supporting data?

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Rudeboy: “I think that some of the problems in the socially valuable professions are because people aren’t ‘rewarded’ according to their social value. Increase the rewards, then maybe people might be better motivated. Which might increase their efficiency. No wonder people prefer to go for jobs in the greed sector, if they can; the rewards are greater.”

Unfortunately your argument has several rather large holes in it Rudeboy. The “Greed Sector” as you call it, is responsible for earning the country enough money to pay for the public services we all rely on. Without it, there won’t be any “socially valuable professions”.

You write that “increase the rewards, then people might be better motivated” without taking into account that the median public sector salary is already significantly higher than the median private sector salary – and that’s without the extra holiday, good pensions, extra sickies and reduced working hours being taken into account.

If what you write is correct, we could reasonably expect the “socially valuable professions” to be more productive. This is far from the case – productivity in the public sector has fallen for much of the last 10 years and remains far removed from the “greed sector”, as evidenced most recently by yesterday’s Audit Office report that points to the public getting worse value from the £1,000B or so of extra funding that’s been thrown at the public sector in the last 10 years.

juan
    Free Member

When I started work in London I was on 12k. platform idiots were on 17k.

You mean you don’t even qualify as a platform idiot? ****… You really must be very stoopipd hora

hora
    Free Member

Strikes also coincide with the England game/Wembley. Nice one. Ransom-holding is it?

Then there are the two tube drivers sacked- one for lying over a safety issue and the other for theft. RMT wants them reinstated before on condition of the strike.

I hope they break the back of this Union- **** off back to the 70’s/80’s. Tossers.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You mean you don’t even qualify as a platform idiot? ****… You really must be very stoopipd hora

LOL! Post of the month! 😆

Brilliant, Juan.

The “Greed Sector” as you call it, is responsible for earning the country enough money to pay for the public services we all rely on

Ah, would that be the same sector that earns so much money for the benefit of everyone, that it has to have large chunks of it bailed out by the taxpayer? Or the same sector where there have been, and will continue to be, massive redundancies? Great.

Let’s get back to the real world.

Nurses do one of the most valuable jobs in our society, yet are rewarded relatively very badly. They do longer hours than most, and often have to work well beyond the end of their shifts, as there aren’t enough nurses. Why not? Because it’s an extremely hard job, for shite money.

Would you not agree, that such jobs should be rewarded better?

I’m not

hora
    Free Member

Juan, yep Woolworths head office in supply chain. They didnt pay grads very well back then.

The “Greed-sector” is the powerhouse for this country. Sadly the public sector (by design) can not be a powerhouse or drive a countries economy. I cant beleive that there is actually a minister for the NorthWest Children etc now. WTF?! What next, a Minister for Manchester?

retro83
    Free Member

They get 40k? Why the hell did i bother going to uni?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Tube strikes’ is closed to new replies.