Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)
  • Tube drivers – bunch of *****
  • Sancho
    Free Member

On strike again because they want triple pay for working Boxing day.
    and a day in lieu.
    For Christs sake its unbelievable the bunch of aholes

warton
    Free Member

are you working boxing day?

allthepies
    Free Member

Bob Crow say sorry.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Fair enough to expect some kind of ‘compensation’ for working boxing day, but triple pay plus day in lieu really is taking the mickey.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What do you think would be fair?

martinhutch

I love the idea of them voting to lose five days pay because they want three day’s pay…(edit: one day’s pay, actually!)

bigyinn
    Free Member

And they earn £50k pa! 😯

Sancho
    Free Member

day in lieu and normal pay, is pretty standard.
    or double time and no day in lieu.

all pretty standard

Cougar

Haven’t we automated those things yet, then?

stumpy01

Sancho – Member
    day in lieu and normal pay, is pretty standard.
    or double time and no day in lieu.

all pretty standard

I’m with this. It must be in their contract; the recompense they get for working bank holidays….they took the job, they knew that their shifts might mean they have to work bank holidays…

warton – Member

What relevance does this have?

You enter into a contract with your employer; for example 37.5hrs/week, 9am-5pm.
    They have entered into a contract that means they work shifts and might have to work bank holidays. Boo hoo.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

They still need someone to feed the dog

stanfree
    Free Member

Im a train driver and even I think thats bloody scandalous. Im rostered to work the public holidays at New Year and will get a days wage plus a day In Lieu.

nbt

Warning – very sweary, not at all safe for kids or work. VERY funny though

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymKurTBdhw&feature=related[/video]

lunge

Most industries will get double time or a day in lieu. Some (but very, very few) will get both.

Triple and a day in lieu is astonishing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Wonder what will happen after the ‘lympics. Once that’s out of the way and the industrial blackmail leverage Crow wields has lessened then will be interesting 🙂

TheFlyingOx

Not this year, through fluke of rota, but last year I worked 12 hour shifts from 23rd December right through to 6th January. Didn’t get any extra money, and no time of in lieu.
    Did I throw my toys out the pram? No, because I knew perfectly well it could happen given the terms and conditions of my contract.

Can’t wait to see what utterly ridiculous demands Bob Crowe comes up with next year when the Olypmics are on.

IanMunro
    Free Member

All staff to be awarded Gold Medals 😀

timc
    Free Member

greedy buggers

Sancho
    Free Member

It stems from a weak management and a union that keeps getting its way.

They seem to be able to keep pushing and invariably keep getting what they want so now they feel emboldened to go for more.

A ridiculous state of affairs, and a unbelievable request for remuneration.

Coyote
    Free Member

Where’s Lieu and why are they so keen to get there?

5thElefant
    Free Member

That would be at the top of my infrastructure project list.

DT78
    Free Member

These guys can’t live in the real world. Personally given all the issues with people losing jobs / taking pay cuts etc… I would not be able to demand such a silly amount even if I knew I had a big nasty union that would cause lots of trouble if it wasn’t honoured. Pure greed.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I work in retail, don’t earn anywhere near as much as a tube driver. with a previous employer I used to have to work most bank holidays .. standard pay, and a day in lieu.

Not my area of retail, but while you’re swanning round the sales, spare a thought for the poor sods who have to work in the jumble sale that is just about any high street fashion/electronics/grocery shop on the 27th of Dec.

Christmas isn’t a great time for your average sales assistant

EDIT: even any average Saturday in a Primark (following around the missus on a rare saturday off) is pretty shocking

2nd EDIT: Common Sense would have said things oops, folks like tube/train/bus drivers would have realised it’s a 24/7/365 job when you sign on the dotted line. Fool the employers if that wasn’t spelled out in the original contracts i’m sure new contracts will be

binners

Triple pay plus day in lieu sounds perfectly reasonable to me. That’s what everyone’s getting, isn’t it? plus an advent calender with a golden egg behind every door. And a company credit card with a 5 grand limit to do your christmas shopping on? No? A pet panda? And a private christmas day party performance at home with the X factor finalist of your childrens choice? not that either?

Oh… erm…. sorry….perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned it

5thElefant
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3srfSVsgfFo[/video]

si-wilson
    Free Member

Where’s Lieu

cornwall int it?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Triple pay and a day in lieu is nt “fair” but since when did fair come in the equation with wage negations ?

Its aslo not “fair” that london underground are sacking loads of ticket staff and replacing them with automated machines, but these things happen.

Until employers start taking “fair” into account for negotiations I reckon the tube drivers should try and ring as much as possible out of them.

They are going to be automated at some point so what would the reason for the tube drivers to accept less ? Like I say the ticket staff have been replaced even though they earn a whole lot less.

So earning less will probably only put off automation by a year or two when it happens for the tube drivers.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

outrageous, not like those nice cuddly bank people who didn’t cause any recessions and earn those completely reasonable bonuses.

Who knows, maybe if there’d been more tube strikes, the City’s fianancial institutions might have ground to a stop, then we might not have the problems we have now.

konabunny
    Free Member

Its aslo not “fair” that london underground are sacking loads of ticket staff and replacing them with automated machines,

Why not?

project
    Free Member

So easy just switch the power off on boxing day, equals no trains, and allt hose miserable londers, stay in the house, or visit freinds by walking or driving.

So simple yet some overpaid muppet hasnt worked that one out.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Its aslo not “fair” that london underground are sacking loads of ticket staff and replacing them with automated machines,

Why not?

Im not the one complaining it not fair everyone else is.

Obviously tube drivers are vital to the running of the capital and they are using this leverage to get as well paid as possible, just the same as everybody else.

kaesae
    Free Member

😯 :mrgreen:

binners

Erm…. daft but valid question: Where was everyone going on boxing day on the tube anyway? Thats sooooooooooo important eh?

Surely you’ll be spending the day welded to the sofa, eating left-over turkey, watching James Bond, and periodically lifting a cheek up to pass wind like a huge German anti tank gun. Only rising from your torpor, to pad through to the kitchen in your new Christmas slippers to grab another beer from the fridge.

Southerners? I’ll never understand ’em 😀

scu98rkr
    Free Member

true !

specialknees
    Free Member

How hard can driving a train be?

Friend of mine is an airline Pilot with Monarch, He’s been a fully fledged pilot now for three years and earns less than 50K per year. He trained for two years (self financed) then progressed to a supporting role for a year and a half with an airline. After a further three years as a co-pilot he became a fully fledged commercial pilot, flying 737’s. Thats 5 Yrs+ in training. How long does it take to become a tube driver?

If you have seen inside a cockpit of a 737 its pretty complicated. If you have seen inside a tube cab you will know its not, the biggest bit on the dashboard is the drivers sandwich box.!

Go figure.!

konabunny
    Free Member

How hard can driving a train be?

There aren’t vast numbers of tube drivers being churned out by the US military every year, unlike pilots.

epicyclo

Sounds fair to me.

Modern businesses shaft their employees. Good to see it work the other way.

Militant_biker

(Is it just me that has noticed the URL and content, swear filter mis-match. I think I’m outraged. :roll:)

binners

Yeah! Right on comrade! Rise up against the fascist bastards! Ruthlessly oppressing their enslaved minions. The poor sods desperately scraping by on 50 grand a year!

Throw off your chains brothers!!! 🙄

Scamper
    Free Member

So they are wanting to change the pay and conditions they signed up to? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Tube drivers – bunch of *****’ is closed to new replies.