Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 194 total)
  • Trying to settle an argument
  • GrahamS

Well said tim.

Folk just like to believe in conspiracy theories because it gives them a thrill that they are “in on it” and that they are too intelligent to be fooled by “the man” like all those other sheep.

It is pure egotism and self-delusion.

gonefishin
    Free Member

apart from the ones that have been proven to be true

Out of nothing more than idle curiosity, what conspiracy theories have been proven to be true?

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve already mentioned one.

Junkyard
    Free Member

One conspiracy uncovered therefore all conspiracies must be true?
    Should we list all the things that have been claimed to have happened that did those that diod not and see which list is the largst?
    Whilst it is possible that there is a mass conspiracy to fake this (like it is possible there is a God) all the evidence points to there being no conspiracy or God.
    You can’t prove negatives is the basic problem here but you should have some sort of BS filter or else you will believe any old cr@p.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The reason it doesn’t flop down is that the flag wasn’t just loose cloth- it’s stiffened along the top edge

i’ll give you that. But it still flaps about pretty freely, and ythere’s other footage that shows it moving, although I can’t be arsed looking for it.

I KNEW this would get some of you going! 😀 Seems there are plenty of people all to eager to debunk the ‘conspiracy theories’; if you’re sooo convinced yourselves, why are you going to such lengths arguing the case?

Thing is; we would all like to believe that Man landed on the Moon. What a fantastic adventure!

But the truth is; none of youse can prove Man did land on the moon, and that these vids we see are genuine. Get them into some video editing software, and speed them up slightly. Then notice how everything looks like it does in real life, down on Earth. And one of the first things you’d do, in 1/6th gravity, is jump about a lot! And you’d film it! Ripping their suits? There’s other stuff of astronauts falling over, so I don’t think that was as big a concern as you might think. They were multi-layered anyway. Of course, jumping cooduv also been faked, with wires and that…

What’s inertesting, is that any suggestion that the landings may have been faked, is met with loud shouts of ‘conspiracy theorist!’ Why are you shouting so loud, if you have nowt to fear/hide?

I’ll reiterate; I never said that Mankind has never set foot on the Moon. Just that there is the possibility of the footage of the landings being fake. To protect American pride. The Soviets had chalked up all the other Space firsts; the Yanks needed a big score, to stay in the game.

As for ‘hundreds of thousands of people’ needing to be complicit in any ‘conspiracy’; bollocks. Only a few people would really have needed to know. It’s relatively easy to dupe large numbers of people. It wooduv been pretty easy to get the astronauts out of any rocket, prior to lunch, as only a handful of people had access to anywhere near the rocket itself. So, maybe something was fired into Space, maybe something did land on’t Moon. But quite a few of the images we’ve been allowed to see, are fake. Part of a publicity stunt. If they did actually land there, which is not completely iplausible, then we probbly din’t actually see it.

As for the ridiculous comment about ‘WMDS/Iraq- proof no conspiracy’; what you wibbling on about? The Yanks were showing off footage of loads of ‘suspected’ WMD sites long before the invasion, even though Hans Blixt had said there was nowt there! Come on, get yer head out of the sand!

US: ‘There are WMDS in Iraq’
    HB: ‘Erm, well, actually…’
    US: YES THERE ARE LOOK AT THESE EXCITING PICTURES WE’VE GOT OF THEM PROVING THEY ARE BEING PRODUCED’
    HB: ‘No, hang on…’
    US: ‘SHOCK AND AWE! IN WE GO! is not THIS EXCITING EVERYONE? WE’RE DOING IT FOR YOU, YOU KNOW. The economy? Oh, don’t worry about that… WE WENT TO THE MOON YOU KNOW!’

Anyway; creates a good debate, this one, eh? 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Er… I wasn’t claiming that that meant all conspiracy theories are true, just that you shouldn’t unquestioningly accept the official version of events for everything

Check out the CIAs official records for their actions in places like Chile, Guatemala etc for some more. These were all things that were strenuously denied at the time and the people claiming them were dismissed as nutters and commie stooges etc.

crazy-legs

Simon Ralli to the thread please, Simon Ralli to the thread.

Rudeboy needs an ally to support his increasingly desperate attempts to persuade others of the “conspiracy”…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Blimey, someone with thier own mind at last! Nice one Grumm; I’m glad someone gets it.. 🙄

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Anyone remember a book and film called Capricorn One written by Ken Follett (under the name Peter Hyams)?

Yes, brilliant bit of science fiction there…just like the whole moon landing 😉
    Capricorn One on t’internet (is that allowed?)

funkynick

RB… what actual evidence do you have that ‘quite a few of the images we’ve been allowed to see, are fake‘? Maybe it is just something that you ‘know’? Or did someone on the internet tell you? 😀

shoefiti
    Free Member

Funnily enough they tend to place those spy satellites around Earth, not the moon! They are in low earth orbit, most are just a few hundred km above us. The moon, by contrast, is 384,000 km away.

Well wouldn’t the atmosphere and polution make it way harder than looking through space, so i’d of thought it’s maybe be possible, what would hurt giving it a go, it’d shut people up if they had some footage, maybe they could shoot up a copy copy of the wednesday sport to land near it for authenticity 😆

Also on Rudeboys point about speeding up the footage and it looking the same as on earth, can one of you arm chair experts tell me why things in space fall slower? I know things weigh 1/6 of that on earth, but all objsects on earth accelerate/fall as the same rate at any given mass in earths gravity, so why don’t they on the moon?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Er… I wasn’t claiming that that meant all conspiracy theories are true, just that you shouldn’t unquestioningly accept the official version of events for everything

And you’re quite right, but IMO that doesn’t stretch to willfully choosing unlikley scenarios over the most objectively likely ones, which is what the moon landing lot are doing. They’re unquestionably accepting the unoffical version, which is no better.

I’m not claiming that all conspiracy theories are untrue, but on balance the arguments for the moon stuff pretty heavily outweigh the arguments against it I reckon.

GrahamS

I don’t – and I don’t think anyone here does.

I have looked at the evidence and I have not found it wanting. I have looked at the conspiracy stuff and found it to be a huge pile of bollocks (like RudeBoys flag objection).

This is exactly what I mean about “conspiracy theorists” having a superiority complex.

They believe that only they, the chosen ones, can see the truth that the unquestioning masses are blind to.

But the masses are NOT unquestioning.

I have questioned it and I’m sure plenty of other people have on here to. But a rational mind can see that the balance of evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of the landings occurring.

GrahamS

MrSalmon beat me to it. +1 for Occam’s Razor!

andywhit
    Free Member

>Also on Rudeboys point about speeding up the footage and it looking the same as on earth, can one of you arm chair experts tell me why things in space fall slower? I know things weigh 1/6 of that on earth, but all objsects on earth accelerate/fall as the same rate at any given mass in earths gravity, so why don’t they on the moon?

Moon’s gravity is 1/6th that of Earth so things fall slower.

v squared = u squared + 2 * a * s

v = final velocity
    u = initial velocity (which is zero if you’re dropping something from stationary)
    a = acceleration due to gravity
    s = distance the object moves

So as “a” is 1/6th that of the Earth value then you can see that the velocity of a falling object is always going to be much slower on the moon than on Earth.

Junkyard
    Free Member

+1 for Mr Salmon and GrahamS

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well wouldn’t the atmosphere and polution make it way harder than looking through space

harder yes but no 2000x harder.

what would hurt giving it a go, it’d shut people up if they had some footage

Even the Hubble telescope doesn’t have sufficient resolution to pick up the detail of the lunar landings. Even if it were possible those who are determined to believe in the conspiracy would only dismiss it as a fake so it wouldn’t prove anything.

can one of you arm chair experts tell me why things in space fall slower?

Different gravitational forces.

but all objsects on earth accelerate/fall as the same rate at any given mass in earths gravity, so why don’t they on the moon?

They do. I believe they actually did this “experiment” on the moon with a feather and a hammer and filmed it, although I’m sure plenty of people would believe that that was faked as well.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

RB… what actual evidence do you have that ‘quite a few of the images we’ve been allowed to see, are fake’?

Read my previous bit on film.

grumm
    Free Member

I don’t – and I don’t think anyone here does.

Apart from the person who said that all conspiracy theories were untrue.

crazy-legs

You can never win with conspiracy theorists. Every piece of evidence that comes out in favour of “the event” is immediately dismissed as further evidence of a cover up.

Same with evolution – creationists will always point out the gaps in the fossil record but as soon as a gap is filled by the discovery of an intermediate they will now point out that there are actually 2 gaps!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

But a rational mind can see that the balance of evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of the landings occurring.

Ha ha!

Nice one!

Truth is; you want to believe in them , because you need to believe in them.

But you don’t know, any more than I do, whether they did land on the Moon. You’ve just chosen to believe what you’ve been told.

Ah, whassamatter, you can’t possibly accept your dreams might not be true?

Diddums.

GrahamS

shoefiti said: Well wouldn’t the atmosphere and polution make it way harder than looking through space, so i’d of thought it’s maybe be possible, what would hurt giving it a go, it’d shut people up if they had some footage

As carefully explained on the Moon Hoax Wikipedia article I linked to earlier, Hubble has a 2.4 metre mirror and can see an object that is about 86 metres across on the surface of the moon.

To adequately see and identify the rover on the moon we’d need a new space telescope that has perfect mirror roughly 25 kilometres in diameter.

Feel free to check the maths.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Wunundred!

GrahamS

I did. You said it was too cold on the moon for film.

Actually the main issue facing Kodak and Hasselblad was keeping it COOL enough in the intense HEAT of the moon.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ok then; too hot for film.

Standard Blad with the leather peeled off. I don’t see any extreme heat or cold insulation, do you?

Those cams never took any pics on the Moon.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Thanks andywhit, that kind of makes sence to a bad o-level physics grade slacker. I was wondering if the lack of atmosphere would have made the things fall quicker, even given the lack of gravity. My biggest problem with it all, and i’m sure someone will put me straight on this is:

When they take off again they do so in a pod thing yeh? it gets blasted off the top of the lander, yet it doesn’t seem to have any thrusters, just the intial one, I know everything weighs 1/6 gravity etc, but this thing must weigh quite a bit, especially weighed down with all that cheese and moon rock, so given the tiny amount of thrust needed to bump this thing off the moon, and how light the buggy must of been wouldn’t it of been at risk of getting some SERIOUS air, it looks like they are doing some hooning in the footage.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Feel free to check the maths

hahahaha – can’t see how that would help, i can hardly work out how old my kids are! That’s a shame about the hubble, i didn’t realise it was so shonky, I guess we’ll just have to wait for the chinese to verify all this for the non-believers.

waihiboy
    Free Member

(havent read all the above)

thats one of the conspiracy theorists ideas though, they knew it would be years before a telescope powerful enough could look at the remains of the landing.

the classic aswell, there is no wind on the moon so how can the flag be flying like in the wind? because it had a plastic rod in the top section to ‘make it look like it was flying in the wind’

the whole 911 set-up is another classic, watch the video 911 ‘short change’ on youtube, very interesting!

GrahamS

Standard Blad with the leather peeled off. I don’t see any extreme heat or cold insulation, do you?

Indeed a modified Hasselblad 500EL.

And no there is no extreme insulation. When you have no atmosphere you have no air to transmit the warmth. All you have is radiative heat. So as long as you keep things suitably reflective and shiny, they don’t get too hot.

Here’s a nice explanation of heat transfer for you to completely ignore:
    http://www.clavius.org/envheat.html

That’s a shame about the hubble, i didn’t realise it was so shonky

It’s no so much that the Hubble is “shonky” – it is just a basic physical property of optics and lenses that even RudeBoy can confirm. Y’cannae change the laws o’physics Jim.

funkynick

RudeBoy – Member

RB… what actual evidence do you have that ‘quite a few of the images we’ve been allowed to see, are fake’?

So, you read it somewhere on t’internerd then?

Or do you have actual experience/knowledge of the camera design and film stock?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m losing the thread of this, but I think the Rude One is claiming that they actually went to the moon, but then as a separate and unrelated exercise they also produced deliberately fake-looking pictures of themselves pretending to be on the moon while they were actually in America.

As long as the objective was to baffle people as to their motives, this was a success. 😯

shoefiti
    Free Member

“”It’s no so much that the Hubble is “shonky” “”

As i remember it aome guy cocked up the calculations on the mirror, then quit his job and went off to work in tescos deli or something before anyone found out, and it’s been a bit crap ever since? (maybe he did it on purpose, ask rudeboy!)

oldgit
    Free Member

Well it was a long time ago and I don’t like to boast about it, but here I am on a trip to the moon. Look you can even see the craters, it was like South Bedfordshire District Councils car park up there I tell ya.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes! 😀

G
    Free Member

Given the fact that there were two nations on the earth capable of tracking each others space flights, and that they were in competition, nay even conflict with each other, Do you think the other party might have just said something about the fact that it didn’t actually happen?

…..waits for next addition to the conspiracy…..

GrahamS

as i remember it aome guy cocked up the calculations on the mirror, then quit his job and went off to work in tescos deli or something before anyone found out, and it’s been a bit crap ever since?

Erm.. not quite.

One of the “null correctors” used in the assembly of the mirror was improperly aligned so the mirror ended up being ground to be 2.2 micrometres out of shape.

They later fixed it though:

(Before and After)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope#Flawed_mirror

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m a bit disappointed that nobody’s said ‘sheeple’ yet!

RudeBoy, I think you’re really struggling now.

Ha ha!

Nice one!

Truth is; you want to believe in them , because you need to believe in them.

But you don’t know, any more than I do, whether they did land on the Moon. You’ve just chosen to believe what you’ve been told.

Ah, whassamatter, you can’t possibly accept your dreams might not be true?

Diddums.

Saying that nobody knows, which I guess is true if taken to the extreme view that anybody ‘knows’ anything about anything, isn’t an argument about anything, even when it’s chucking out time at the pub.

It’s not a question about believing what you’ve been told- if it were your arguments are just as susceptible to it.

Now I’m just as willing as you to believe that Governments will go to any lengths to further their aims and will happily lie, manipulate and distort if they can get away with it. I expect we’d all be amazed by some of the stuff that’s gone on and is probably going on right now.

But that doesn’t mean that all rational and objective thought should be suspended. I can easily believe that the Americans would have given serious thought to faking the landings if they couldn’t do it for real and they thought they could pull it off.

But looking at the evidence for and against it just seems overwhelmingly more likley that they actually did it.

GrahamS

Yes! 😀

Wow! You’ve actually had access to the extra-thin polyester-based thin-emulsion double-perforated film stock that Kodak specially designed for the missions? And the modified Hasselblads? And you have knowledge of design for cameras to be used in extreme situations?

Or do you just mean that you once used a Hasselblad and you can develop your own film?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes! 😀

GrahamS

I see.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Trying to settle an argument’ is closed to new replies.