Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Trying to decide between bottles or a rucksack thats bladder compatible?
  • mattyfez

Say for a bike packing weekend, ill have a back pack anyway, currently use a karrimore which I use for general purposes too, but its looking a bit tired.

Im just wondering how much of a pain are bladders to keep clean if your adding supplements to the water?

Also consdering 2x750ml frame bottles.

Im shying away from a camel back as they are not as versatile as a bladder compatible back pack.

Any opinions? Consideing its a long weekend with limited access to cleaning, I thought frame bottles might be the way to go.

jonba
    Free Member

Bladder will go manky but not in a weekend. What about using a bladder to hold water and one bottle to hold other things. Has worked for me in the past on mtb rides as my frame only takes one bottle anyway.

jairaj

If just using electrolytes the bladder will be fine for months and long as you rinse it out with fresh water every now and then.

If using energy tabs as well then it should still be fine for a weekend. It’ll take a couple weeks of total neglect to become dirty.

Even then they are pretty easy to clean, most new bladders are reversible and just require a bit of a scrub to get clean.

I think sugar and leaving it with water inside for long periods is what kills them. With regular use and the odd quick rinse they are pretty much maintenance free.

Lester
    Free Member

why not buy a purpose built tube only and just attach it to a disposable bottle
    this sort of thing
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Platypus-Drinking-Tube/dp/B002HSO37O

no cleaning, fits to two size bottles and fits in side pocket, i usually use one instead of bladder, when i do use a bladder i put in the freezer when ive finished, and top up with water next use, ice cold drink and not manky

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Trying to decide between bottles or a rucksack thats bladder compatible?’ is closed to new replies.