Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Trying singlespeed
  • martymac

I have used a couple of bikes ss with standard Deore chainrings, standard 10spd chain and surly wide base sprocket.
    Worked fine.
    Definitely use a tensioner, and it is totally worth taking time to make sure the chainline is perfect.

13thfloormonk

1 1/8 chains

Yikes, that would be overkill!

My best singlespeed experience was with a short cage rear mech acting as tensioner.

My worst was using an SRAM PC-1 chain on a dedicated singlespeed frame which I *think* was just a bit noodly under hard stomping, derailled every time! Switching to a KMC chain with the deeper side plates cured it instantly.

Had a 38 tooth oval ring sitting spare in the garage, looking forward to trying it out, shame it was designed for a 2x chainset, might be asking for trouble with the slight chain slack that develops in the low spots…

kayla1
    Free Member

The KMC ‘no drop’ chains are ace, 3/32″ or 1/8″. It’s gaan neewhere that, pet.

kerley
    Free Member

The chain is going nowhere if it is properly tensioned. As I said I hate tensioners so haven’t ever used one but I have used bike with track ends or EBB for 20 years and never had a chain come off, not once. I use 9 speed lightweight chains and have even used chainrings intended for double chain sets.

kayla1
    Free Member

Horses/courses, innit bruv? One person’s experience may not necessarily match that of another 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It in part depends on your weight and the gradients you ride.

I had to go for a gusset badger, anything else just stretched and stretched

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Ahhhh… That old chestnut…

Psi kutacz we wzwodzie to przy tej kecie rozmiękły klocek pod krzaczkiem w dżdżysty poranek

Dog eater in the erection is a soft block under the bush on a rainy morning xD

More like:

Dog’s cock in full-stiff erection seems like wet poo under the bush in the rainy morning in comparison to that chain

But nobble effort xD
    Cheers!
    I.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I use a Shimano dx 14t cog. Has a nice wide base and teeth.
    Think they’re aimed at bmx market? That or shoppers.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Trying singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.