Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Truvativ GXP bottom bracket
  • MSP

WHY!!!

ratherbeintobago

Why what?

matt_outandabout

Mine don’t last that long. But at least they are cheap when in the sale.

banks
    Free Member

why so shit. Hope with gxp jobbies ftw!!!!

Simon

banks – Member
    why so shit. Hope with gxp jobbies ftw!!!!

That’s what I thought until the threads on my drive side cup stripped. Back to GXP for now.

jekkyl

The top hat washer on the drive side always comes away and runs flush with edge of the crank, letting in loads of shit to the bearings. So you need to put something in there to make sure it stays put. I use one of those little fat rubber bands.

banks
    Free Member

Been a few reports of stripped threads : ( how many spacers?

MSP

I wanted to replace the cheap nasty cranks on a new bike, with some spare xt’s I had in the basement. Looks easy enough, so whip the cheap nasty cranks off and try fitting the xt’s, but alas while they look deceptivly the same to the naked eye, they are in fact a different standard.

Couple of weeks later (tonight) armed with a new BB, attempt 2, I find they are too rounded to fit my BB tool.

Why makes something so similar to an open widely accepted standard, but be different just for the sake of it?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Hope drive side does not have enough thread engagement

ive had a year out of a SRAM GXP Ceramic, properly ruined now though,

same tool worked on mine as the shimano i had prior

Pridds

Chris king with the adaptor after I got tired of killing GXP bb’s

Simon

banks – Member
    Been a few reports of stripped threads : ( how many spacers?

One and a Stinger chain device.

Hope drive side does not have enough thread engagement

Yep, much less thread than a Truvativ cup.

Shame really as the bearings had not worn out, they’d done 3+ years and thousands of miles and were still perfect.

Northwind

Token do a GXP BB, though I’ve not used it. Not sure what I’ll do next time my Truvativ BB needs replaced- possibly just go on a SRAM murdering spree.

banks
    Free Member

What size bb mate and how’s your chainline. I’m 1×10 and running just one spacer so fingers crossed i’m alright!

jonwe
    Free Member

Hope bbs with the gxp adapter work for me. Far superior longevity than the truvativs but you need to clean the grime out of the external seals from time to time.

Simon

@Banks, 68mm bb shell

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Just ordered a Shimano XT/slx bracket to see if it last longer than the sram gxp which only seem to last 12 months. Like they have built in obselence (sp?)
    Having read the above, will Shimano BB fit a truvativ crank?

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Best remedy is to ditch the truvativ cranks and fit a shimano crank & BB.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just ordered a Shimano XT/slx bracket to see if it last longer than the sram gxp which only seem to last 12 months. Like they have built in obselence (sp?)

You know they use a different axle on the HTII Cranks to the GXP ones don’t you.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@mikesmith it’s a truvativ elita crank currently on a gxp bb…
    EDIT
    I’m sure I’m running HT 2 deore on a gxp on another bike with no apparent issues, but I’ll check that tomorrow.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Having read the above, will Shimano BB fit a truvativ crank?

no

orangeboy
    Free Member

On my last enduro I had hope ceramic with the gxp washers and it worked perfectly
    Fit and forget till I swapped the frame
    The bb and crank combo is now in my winter road bike and still fine , I do like sram swappable spiders

kiwijohn

R.E. The top hat bushing coming out, I put a large o ring from a rock shox rebuild kit on the axle to hold it in. It adds a bit of pressure, but not too much.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t get the hate for GXP unless they’re not fitting the stuff correctly. Yes sometimes the dust cap can come loose but a rubber o-ring will solve that. Only happened once on one of my bikes.

5 years I’ve had bikes with GXP and really not been much of an issue and I’m happy to keep buying them. The BB is only £20 anyway, though only ever had to replace one once and it had done a couple of years of a lot of cruddy riding.

baznav73
    Free Member

“5 years I’ve had bikes with GXP and really not been much of an issue”.
    I guess you don’t ride them, my last gxp lasted 5 weeks needless to say I no longer use them cheap or not.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Great thread. I thought it was just me who had this problem!

The top hat washer on the drive side always comes away and runs flush with edge of the crank, letting in loads of shit to the bearings. So you need to put something in there to make sure it stays put. I use one of those little fat rubber bands.

I did that too, but it put too much pressure on the drive side bearing (which the fitting instructions say is to be avoided) and killed the GXP BB for a different reason.

In the end I opted for …

Best remedy is to ditch the truvativ cranks and fit a shimano crank & BB.

XT = perfect.

deadkenny
    Free Member

baznav73 – Member
    “5 years I’ve had bikes with GXP and really not been much of an issue”.
    I guess you don’t ride them, my last gxp lasted 5 weeks needless to say I no longer use them cheap or not.

Only one I’ve replaced due to being worn out had been running for 1500miles according to my Strava log. 2 years or so. Not huge xc kind of mileage, but regular average 2+ times a week mucking about AM bike in the grime and mud. Actually, I think the thing that killed it was the biblical rain of Morzine.

Got one on the hard tail that’s been running for the last 2 years also, about 1000miles. Still sweet and smooth. That’s been in a hell of a lot of crud.

I have to wonder, in what way are people deciding they’re shot? Just some grinding? If so, thought of just strip, clean and regrease (though first check it’s actually the BB. Many times I’ve seen people say their BB need sorting and on inspection it’s crud grinding on the chainring, or there’s weird feel in the cranks and it’s loose cranks or more often it’s an issue with the rear mech). Better still, stop jet washing or spraying with GT85 😛

eviljoe
    Free Member

Hmmm,

Just fitted one on my SS- would I be better off without the spacers if there is a risk of stripping??

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Truvativ GXP bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.