Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Truth about Fat Bikes
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I’m really tempted, and have a good opportunity on a Kona WO, but I just can’t decided if they are fad or future? If it’s just sand and snow they’re used for then it’s hardly worth it, but I think they would make a really good all round winter bike..?

Your experience please….

ska-49
    Free Member

I thoroughly enjoyed mine. I never used it on sand/snow/mud. Just through summer. It was much better than I thought. I was building it up in my head to be slow, sluggish, heavy, dull. When I built it up it was actually fantastic. Not much slower (+10% longer for the same distance) and was great fun over the roots. I didn’t miss the suspension. I ended up selling it because it was just to much like my other bike and couldn’t keep both in my flat. I’ll pick another one up when I have the space/money. No regret.

Usual ride; 15-30 miles on XC/singletrack with little elevation in Colchester.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Of course, you’ll get a really unbiased opinion on here. 😀

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Hello ska-49 fellow Colchester rider here were they your fat tyre tracks I keep seeing in Friday woods?? Thought there was one on the prowl but never saw it 🙂

nedrapier

My truth about fat bikes is that I’ve only ridden one, on some pretty serious terrain (porcupine rim in Moab), it was flippin’ great, huge fun and if I had space for another bike, I’d have one. Hoping for a s/h puffin in a year or two’s time. Or a vagabond. Or a beargrease…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I love mine… And to be honest, it’s my go to bike.
    Granted, it’s not always the most sensible choice, but it’s the most fun.
    If you ever fall out of love riding, then have a blast on one of these, and it’ll re-kindle your love.
    Think of it as the Bastard love child of a space hopper & a BMX and you won’t go far wrong.

Try one.

You may just like it.

anotherstan
    Free Member

the truth?

– great fun
    – people point and stare (maybe that’s just me 😕 )
    – everyone has a question for you
    – not as draggy as you might think
    – not as heavy as you might think
    – not as slow as you might think
    – all your mates want to have a go
    – did i mention great fun?

try to get a spin on one and tell me you didn’t enjoy it.

ps – don’t get one if your not the ‘sociable’ kind.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a fad – but that shouldn’t stop you getting one.

rOcKeTdOg

Ideal for coed-y-brenin style singletrack

DickBarton

It’s a fad…much like 29ers and 2650B’s are – marketing machine are clambering over them all to sell them as the next big thing…those that don’t have them, are most likely tempted; those that do love them.

Saw one yesterday at Carron Valley and initially thought Why?, then had a think and couldn’t think why not…if it lights your candle then go for it…who cares what anyone else thinks?

Thoughts from a 26er (with no intentions of changing!)

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

🙂 I’m already a 27.5er – don’t care if they’re a fad, it’s ace.

singlespeedstu

I just can’t decided if they are fad or future?

Neither. They’re just a bike with a bit bigger tyres.

Ideal for coed-y-brenin style singletrack

You’re not wrong there.

2013_0714beachandtrees0065 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

2013_0714beachandtrees0063 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Keef
    Free Member

I went to CYB on mine.my pal was on a ‘normal’ bike,he came off and gashed his knee,trip to A+E.
    I didn’t,therefore fatbikes are betterer. 😉

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I had a fatbike and didn’t like it much.

I wouldn’t mind a go on a Krampus though.

househusband

I have a fat bike and, basically, it’s just another type of bicycle.

coastkid
    Free Member

Hi Andy 🙂

Yep its just another option of bike…

5 years and over 10,000 niles of fatbikes and it is indeed a great bike, not a replacement for a MTB but a fun alternative.
    I ride a 3″ 29+, 4″ regular, and 5″ 100mm rim Moonlander, and all are as differant to a 4″, 5″ and 6″ travel full suss MTB,

Not for everyone but don`t judge before riding one where a regular MTB struggles and becomes a slog, then they make sense… 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Stu, i wish it had been that dry at CYB today, i would have loved to have had a fatbike on some of the rockier trails

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

The Kona Wo spec is a bit disappointing….

JoeG
    Free Member

Fatbikes are awesome! 😀 Get one!!!

scotroutes

I was going to ask “why the Wo?”

And for no particular reason, here’s a photo from Sunday in the Cairngorms.

dave360

So no one else bothered about the price of phat tyres and tubes then?

JoeG
    Free Member

Floater tires are under $65. Lots of regular MTB tires cost more than that! 😯

And a lot of folks use 26 x 2.4-2.7 Q-tubes that are less than $10.

So, no I’m not bothered! 😡 😉

toys19
    Free Member

I went to CYB on mine.my pal was on a ‘normal’ bike,he came off and gashed his knee,trip to A+E.
    I didn’t,therefore fatbikes are betterer.

This alone has convinced me.

singlespeedstu

the price of phat tyres and tubes then?

I don’t use tubes so no the price of them doesn’t bother me one bit. 🙂

Mantastic
    Free Member

Tubes may be £12 or so but add some slime and they will last a couple years. Not bad value for money in my book.

motorman
    Free Member

I did a 100km+ XC ride on mine yesterday, so that should pretty much answer your question 😉

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    jaffejoffer » The Kona Wo spec is a bit disappointing….
    I was going to ask “why the Wo?”

Just for the sole reason I know a man at Kona…

bedmaker

campkoala/GW banned again then? 😆

They are indeed agood all round winter bike. I rarely ride mine in sand or snow.
    Tyres are expensive but wear very slowly from my experience. Doing a lot of road miles may change this though.

highlandman
    Free Member

Motorman- Ben Aigen on Speyside Way, south of Fochabers?
    Got any good malt in that bottle..? Having been along there recently, I’d reckon it’d be great on a fat bike on these trails.
    Tried a Pugsly at Aviemore earlier this year and it was a whole heap of fun in the steep woods north of town, great at the steep and twisty stuff.

swavis

Ben Aigen on Speyside Way, south of Fochabers?

My local haunt, or one of them, and yes a fat bike is perfect here…

Even better when the snow comes 😀

teacake
    Free Member

I rode Swavis’ fatty the other night and it was STUPID FUN. It felt, nimble, agile, light and FUN. Only realised it was a heavy beast when I had to lift it. If I could justify (and afford one) I wouldn’t hesitate.

Thanks for the ride Swavis!
    See you again soon – I hope. 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

If I could justify

Isn’t this enough justification? 8)

it was STUPID FUN. It felt, nimble, agile, light and FUN.

And as far as this

If I could … afford one

Sell a kidney! 😀

coastkid
    Free Member

I have had 2500 miles out a rear Larry, 3000 on the front/
    Now using Nates which have have done 1500+ miles and still mint, so the extra price is not an issue, not when compared to when i used to have several different tyre types when i rode DH and trail centres.

The 29+ wheelset if it fits your fatbike is a great option to have, gives you two bikes in one that rides quite different with each wheelset.
    The 29+ i prefer for regular trails as faster and lighter but more comfortable than my regular 2.25 rigid 29er.
    While i prefer 4″ fat for off the beaten track. 4″ fat is still more grin inducing! :mrgreen:
    Needing the chunky 29+ Dirt Wizards to arrive now for winter! 🙂

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I got ‘fat curious’ a while back and scratched the itch with an On One Fatty. 20+years of mountain biking and I can easily say it one of my favorite bikes ever. (Apart from the avid brakes, they are pants)

I’d keep it just for the silly amount of grip it has but it’s about so much more than that. If you ride because riding is fun then do not hesitate. The chubby side is for you.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I had a look at a charge cooker maxi today to see if I liked it.
    Next week I’m going to be building an on one fatty to my own spec 🙂

swavis

Thanks for the ride Swavis!
    See you again soon – I hope.

No problem at all, anytime you’re in the area just give me a shout. There’s some good hills round here to climb too 😉

sofaking
    Free Member

owned one for a couple of years and love it. it would only get sold to get another one

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Truth about Fat Bikes’ is closed to new replies.