Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trusted machine shop in Sheff and around
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Looks like my hub is not having 11 speed road freehub body variety available.

New cassette is looking at me and i need to do something about it.

Did a bit of digging a looks like machining out a bit of splines from a freehub body or creating slight concave in the back of the cassette is the way forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cazQt5oleo4

Found that one on YT and now I’m looking for reliable machine shop that would be able to do that little jobbie for me.

At the moment I’m not yet ready to file it myself as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzrzq6XMQ74 or splash on another cassette that someone already machined out a bit, like here: https://www.lascoconcept.com/en/11s-cassette/
    Especially that it is in Canada 😀
    Currently using 11/34 11 speed HG800 Ultegra but want to go 11/30 or 11/28.

So… any recommendations please?

Cheers!
    I.

PS

For people that are in the similar predicament run down of 7 various options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ar2zQDvAAc

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Bump, for Sunday evening brigade…
    Cheers!
    i.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well there should be no shortage of machine shops, it being Sheffield! Trusted though? I’d be heading to 18Bikes, although they may be a bit busy to do it at the mo. They may well be able to recommend an alternative though!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikerevivesheffield

Try Mike mcdermid on Facebook

rickk

Plenty of machine shops but the economics say they would need £100 just to get to the start line. That’s not greed, they need to make money. So you need to check your own contacts and see if there might be someone who would do you a favour, see if you can find a way to make the job interesting for the machinist.

timf

have you thought about using a 11 spreed 11 -34 cassette which fits on 10 speed freehub – needs a spacer to fit on a 11 speed one.

simondbarnes

have you thought about using a 11 spreed 11 -34 cassette which fits on 10 speed freehub – needs a spacer to fit on a 11 speed one.

You mean the one that the OP is already using and wants to move away from?

Superficial
    Free Member

I once took an axle for an old Iron Horse FS frame down to a gruff man with greasy hands in a metal workshop down near Kelham Island.

He charged me £7 to machine and thread a new axle that completely fixed the wobble. Was perfect.

I can’t remember the exact place and anyway the man made me promise not to tell my mates because he didn’t wanna do any more work like that!

But as people have said, there are loads of workshops like that dotted around. Just go into one and try your luck??

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks!

Will try with 18Bikes first and then I will work my way through.

Plenty of machine shops but the economics say they would need £100

I’m completely oblivious to actual costs of working it out but that sounds a bit on a steep side estimation.
    I do not need machining whole freehub body or carrier. Just sticking freehub into lathe and removing 1.6mm of material…

Trusted though?

Maybe I should say having some experience with bike parts…

Cheers!
    I.

kayla1
    Free Member

I can do it if you want but you’ll have to pay for post both ways.

edit- also, it’s not “Just sticking freehub into lathe and removing 1.6mm of material…”, it’s taking the time to deal with you, stopping whatever it was that they were doing, setting up the job, doing the job… A one-person band will be the cheapest option though.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m in Sheffield. I’ve machined 1.8mm out of the back of two cassettes on my lathe and they both seem to work quite happily. Depending on the hub it might be getting a bit close to the spokes. I would not describe myself as a trusted machine shop though!

Not exactly sure how I’d mount a freehub in the 4-jaw without damaging it, but happy to have a go!

kayla1
    Free Member

In the OP’s op it looks like the fella who machined it just chucked it on the outside of a 3-jaw and wound the jaws out to grip it.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Hmm. My 4-jaw is a bit too big for that unfortauntely – using the jaws internally the minimum bore would be about 3″. For the cassettes I just bolted them to a block of wood and then adjusted the chuck to get it concentric and square.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

it’s taking the time to deal with you,

As already said, I’m completely oblivious to specific and peculiarities of machining and machine shops life.
    So thank you for shedding some light on that subject and my ignorance.

Machining cassette looks to be safer option anyways, so I will drop you a line Mowgli

Cheers!
    I.

kayla1
    Free Member

As already said, I’m completely oblivious to specific and peculiarities of machining and machine shops life.

To be fair it’s not just the specifics and peculiarities of that particular job, it’s more a case of reducing another person’s time and experience/skill/ability to the word ‘just’ that bothers people who do things*

Anyhoo, thread drift, sorry.

*anything. Could be graphic design, baking, sewing, whatever.

edit- if you get stuck I’m happy to do the job but I’m in County Durham.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Might be it drifts, but points out important thing.

Me working rather big place have a bit skewed perspective and assuming anything smaller than us will take any work, even as nuisance as mine. Obviously it is not a case, as all places big and small got their own plans, schedules and work flows.

Thanks for pointing it out, as it is not so obvious – as my assumption shows – to everybody 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Mowgli, you are a legend man 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Trusted machine shop in Sheff and around’ is closed to new replies.