Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Truing wheels – jig advice
  • mulacs

Had a pretty major stack on the roadbike last year resulting in another smashed up hand and haven’t touched the damn bike since. Now fed up looking at it and need to get back in the saddle – however the wheels are pretty wobbly.
    I’m keen to have a go straightening then as no access to the shops, but don’t want to spend a fortune on a proper wheel jig for something that I’m probably going to be very bad at.
    What’s the verdict on This device?

Much kop or junk?
    Any other advice or suggestions?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thats just a posh version of zip ties and pencils, which itself is just a posh version of zip ties.

Ive got a minoura ft-1 stand which I only paid £30 for on ebay . Downside is its qr only (i need to buy some cones at some point to make it universal).

Setup a saved search and untill then just use zip ties or blutac and a pencil.

nickjb
    Free Member

Seems a bit over the top. If you are just using the frame then a couple of pencils or lolly sticks held on with cable ties or an elastic band will work just as well. Most important thing is a reasonable quality spoke key to stop you damaging a tight nipple. Not an issue if the wheel is good nick but if it has had a bit of road salt corrosion then it is a potential banana skin. Other than that, have a go. You can’t go too far wrong, just take your time and make little adjustments. Go for it!

bigyim
    Free Member

I’ve actually got one of those and it’s a brilliant bit of kit. I tried the zip tie thing but this is just nicer to work with and easier to refine

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ll echo the spoke key comment.

A good fitted one is paramount to not going full hulk.

mulacs

Ok, as I suspected. Ziptie a gogogogogo. Thanks.

mulacs

Plus, can Anyone recommend a decent tutorial to help?

jamiemcf

Roger musson and his ebook wheel pro

alexnharvey
    Free Member

A couple of clothespegs whoop this zip tie nonsense.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Truing wheels – jig advice’ is closed to new replies.