Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • truing road wheels
  • scaredypants

16 spoke shimano front wheel (ultegra FWIW), 25mm deep rim. Quite badly out of true – not really in one spot, more of a gentle pringle shape.

I’m not sure I’m going to have the time to bugger about with it unless it’s ded easy to do. It’s the dearth of spokes that worries me most.

Are they harder than mtb wheels ?

Are they so hard that I need a GOOD mechanic to sort it or will any shop do ? (roadish preferred I assume ?)

Recommendations or slagging in Southampton (Shirley/Romsey areas) would be good if anyone has top tips (I only know where GA, Hargroves and Cycleworld are)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Buy the Wheelpro book on line. PDF download.

It’s easy with that in front of you.

njee20
    Free Member

They’re not inherently harder, but fewer spokes make it tougher, moreso if they’re bladed as you have to stop them twisting.

Haze

Slight hi-jack, I’ve built a track wheel before that was fairly successful…as in it’s acceptable and hasn’t collapsed yet.

Is it much of a leap to build a dished a wheel?

Any truing stands to recommend?

scaredypants

Thanks

I have the wheelpro book (which is very easy to follow) and have built a few mtb wheels (that haven’t collapsed), but that’s from a straight rim and with plenty of spokes to twiddle. They are bladed spokes, which also “worries” me a bit

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Just try checking the tension in your spokes first, as its a front they should all be equal, ping them with your finger nail. Should all have the same “Note” then try tightening the dull ones.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘truing road wheels’ is closed to new replies.