Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • TRP Spire front spoke clearance woes
  • burko73

Hi

Just bought some trp spyres (post mount) to replace the bog std Shimano cable discs on my cotic escapade (front forks have IS mounts). I’m running alpkit love mud 700c wheels with Shimano discs.

Ive tried a couple of disc mounts and the correct TRP is to post mount adapter.

The actual body of the calliper (the lever that the cable pulls) could the spokes even when adjusted all the way away from the spokes.

Does anyone have this combo on an escapade working? I guess the  body of the Spyre is wide due to the cable pulling the dual sided lever.

What can I do?  Any ideas?

frogstomp

Are the forks definitely post mount? The current Escapade lists them as flat mount..

Maybe post up a picture?

scotroutes

You could fit a bigger rotor

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of trouble with Spyres. The body is just too wide for a lot of wheels. On one bike I got some shims to move the rotor about .5mm out from the hub, so it just clears the spokes. I’ve also got a problem on the back wheel of a different bike which has a 140mm rotor. I’ve ordered a 160mm one and hope that works, but it might need shims as well.

leffeboy

I bought a spacer to space the rotor out slightly and that fixed it.  Wasn’t on an escapade but the same problem

Something like this but there seems to be loads of others now.  I think I bought the syntace ones as being the only ones available at the time

https://www.bike-components.de/en/TRP/Spacer-for-6-bolt-Brake-Rotors-2017-Model-p55374/

burko73

the escapade is an older model and has an is mount on forks. I’m using an is to post mount adaptor. (the spyres are post mount)

people talk about spacing the disc out using a shim. I can’t see how this would work as the disc calliper mount is fixed at the fork and the spokes are fixed to the hub, even with no disc bolted on to the wheel the calliper body fouls the spokes. its not possible to move the calliper body and further from the spokes as the mount itself is the limiting factor.

would a larger disc help I guess? comic say 160 max on the front. would I die with a 180?

burko73

leffeboy –

2.52 Euro for the spacer, 15Euro for the delivery!!!!

Andy

Just come across the same problem this mornjng fitting spyres to a new to me Singular swift on Surly hub. Used some of the old hope IS mount shim washers between disc and hub. This moved the disc out far enough that the adjusted spyre no longer pinged the spokes.

Oh and you can get Hope rotor shims in the UK for a lot less than that Syntace. That would be a neater solution than my individual fiddly shims

leffeboy

even with no disc bolted on to the wheel the calliper body fouls the spokes

Ah, that’s different to the problem I had then.  With me and several others here the problem is with the disk forcing the whole caliper to be too close to the spokes

I would start by filing a mm off the inside of the IS-Postmount adapter if it looks easy enough to do.  Otherwise I’d see if I could find a different adapter

shandcycles
    Free Member

I’ve run into this problem a lot with Spyre callipers. The body is just too big and chunky really. The flange placement on the hub is the issue most of the time. Some hubs are worse than others and we’ve seen dynamo hubs (especially SP) being the biggest culprit. The calliper is pretty meaty and if needed, I wouldn’t hesitate taking a file to it.

burko73

Yep, that looks like a good option leffeboy. I think I’ll have a look at filing down the is-ps adaptor.

the hubs do have a larger than average flange if I recall. I’ll have a look tomorrow to see if filing the calliper may be an option.

I think the fork is rated for a 160mm disc.

burko73

I guess the issue with filing the caliper/ adaptor will be alignment?

burko73

So, checked my old wheels out (cotic branded hubs, deep ish section rims) and they’re fine. The caliper clears the spokes easily.

It seems the alpkit hubs have a taller flange which brings the spokes out wider. The width between the flanges is also a bit wider.

My old wheels won’t do tubeless and I can’t be arsed with punctures.

For the moment it’ll have to be old caliper back on the front.

What to do long term? Either get a new hub built onto my front rim – what’s available with a low flange and disc mounts? What’s the cost of someone building a front wheel these Days?

Im still running sora 9spd which has suited me as I have an old 9spd 36 tooth cassette from an mtb on the back (9 spud is compatible both ways).

Id love to bury the gear cables under the bars at some point to tidy things up, do I take the opport7nity to do this now and get a whole new 105 groupset and hydro discs?

Any good deals about? What about just going 11 spd single front ring, what are my options with hydro discs? Is the sram system easy to get used to, I like the shimano shift/ brake combo.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘TRP Spire front spoke clearance woes’ is closed to new replies.