Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Troy Lee Designs A1 Helmet
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Anyone using this helmet? Would you recommend it?
    CRC have them in various colours for less than £60, RRP £130.

Seems like a bargain.

Northwind

They’re very warm/sweaty in use- badly vented. But otherwise very nice- comfy, good coverage, feel really well made. There’s a newer version out I think which might be why they’re on discount in a lot of places but I think they’re one of those things that nobody buys at RRP- mine was £75 IIRC.

I wouldn’t have another, just too warm for me but ymmv

mindmap3
    Free Member

As above really, but it is the comfiest helmet I’ve had by some distance. My Goldeneye and Super both feel really badly fitting in comparison, but they’re bloody hot. They make a Bell Super feel like the coolest helmet ever.

I put up with I because they’re so comfy. Will wait for the A2 to be discounted at some point.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s fairly warm, but also the best fitting, most comfy helmet i’ve worn.

I’d happily have another.

nickjb
    Free Member

Happy with mine. Good coverage and fit.

tomhoward

Echo all the above, yeah it’s warm, but it’s bearable.

sharkattack

Mine fits like a glove. But for my head. I’ve had problems in the past with helmets sliding around and sometimes obscuring my vision on rough trails. The A1 is the best fit I’ve had.

Apparently they’re too warm and badly vented or something but I ride in the UK so it’s never been an issue.

In fact, mine is cracked inside and I’m about to order another one unless I can find an A2 to try on.

nickc

Northwood nailed it, really comfy but the same feeling as wrapping a towel drenched in your own sweat around your head

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Echo the above. Massively comfy but a total head boiler. I can squeeze the sweat out of the pads in mine. Too hot, even for the UK.

ads678

Mine gives me a headache with the tightening mechanism digging in to the back of my head, especially when I have a go pro fitted.
    I think it’s probably too big and I have to tighten it up too much!

It is warm but I’ve used it in the Pyrenees and it was tooooo warm.

Bloody nice helmet though, I should really try a different size.

Phil_H

As others have said, warm, very warm.
    I found the dial mechanism for adjustment at the back came too far down on to my neck which forced the front of the helmet too low. I had to make a minor adjustment to move it up a bit.

smudge
    Free Member

Love mine too, tis a bit on the warm side but to me that is cancelled out with the comfort.
    My only problem is finding a spare liner for it as it’s seen better days

dhrider
    Free Member

Apart from being a warm helmet, I can’t fault mine. Definitely feel safe when its on your head.

I paid about £110 for mine this time last year so thats a bargain! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-a1-helmet-reflex-red-2016/rp-prod142775

ads678

Phil H – what did you do? That’s how mine feels. It digs low down the back of my head and pushes the front forward.

Phil_H

ads678, sent you a PM.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Warmer than my previous Fox Flux, but more comfortable, gives excellent coverage, lovely fit and finish.

Managed a 30c ride in mine with zero baby robin fatalities.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’m on my second one now, I get a sweaty head anyway nomatter what helmet I’m wearing so the lack of ventilation isn’t too much of an issue.

My first one did a good job of protecting my head when it took most of the impact of a 30mph over the bars crash and it’s probably the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had.

Goldigger
    Free Member

A lot of feedback with the consensus being a head boiler… might take the risk as I’d like the added protection this helmet gives.
    Thanks

winston
    Free Member

They are comfy and good quality, especially when on offer but I find that mine slips down at the front no matter how tight I adjust it and restricts space for glasses. I guess they are not balanced as well as they could be

singlespeedstu

I find that mine slips down at the front no matter how tight I adjust it

Have you tried adjusting the height of the rear lock?

Phil_H

Have you tried adjusting the height of the rear lock?

You can’t. Unless you are prepared to modify it.

singlespeedstu

You can. 😀
    There are three different height position holes.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i like mine, but then i find all troy lee stuff well thought out and well made.

ads678

Wow, I didn’t know the rear adjuster was adjustable!!
    I think that might have just sorted it for me, cheers Stu!!

My wife has just taken great please in telling me I should always read the instructions…

Cheers for the other info Phil, hopefully I won’t need to get the knife out just yet.

Phil_H

So there are 😳
    They were just bunged up with the polystyrene of the helmet and they just looked like how they were attached.

rOcKeTdOg

Warm & come up small. I’m a medium in every other helmet but a small in A1

kimbers

Just too sweaty for me, tried to like it,

Got an urge enduro2 now and protection seems just as good and better fit on my big head while still warmer than an xc lid is still cooler than A1

Goldigger
    Free Member

Is there any reason I’m overlooking that one of these “adults” helmets won’t fit a kid?
    My oldest sons (nearly 6) head measures 54cm so can’t see why the XS/S won’t fit as its 54-56cm.

davros

Hmm I’ve just received one from crc, feels very comfy but not sure i can live with the warmth if it’s as described above. So I think I’ll send it back. Looks nice in grey, good matt finish. Looks massive on my head compared to my lazer.

nobbyq
    Free Member

had one , too hot ,too big , makes u look special !

Goldigger
    Free Member

So are we saying its to hot for a child to use to?
    He wants a full face helmet, which is a bit overkill for when he’s riding round the park or using his scooter.

But I do worry when I take him to trail centres that he has an off and mangles his face on a rock/tree.

The problem I’ve found with kids helmets is the fit is awful and doesn’t offer a great deal of protection.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I like it but it says “for the world’s fastest racers” on the back of my mates’. What’s that about ?

Call me shallow but I bought a Fox Flux for £40 instead out of Tredz after £10 off voucher.

luke0912
    Free Member

I bought one, pretty happy with it to be honest it is hotter than my bell super but not by much and the fit is perfect. I haven’t found it hot enough to cause any issues

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Troy Lee Designs A1 Helmet’ is closed to new replies.