• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Troy Lee A1 helmet – any user reviews?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Looking for a new helmet and I fancy the A1.
    Any users out there who can recommend or slate as required?

sparkyrhino

Used on 2 rides now,Pros-light,well made,and good venting(compared too urge enduromatic and giro feature) fits me nice and securely.Cons-a fair amount of wind noise,expensive(but got mine for £60),decals are a bit loud for some.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Don’t forget the a1 drone for a more understated look 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Good deals on CRC right now with an extra 10% on protective gear. Expensive otherwise, definite brand premium.
    Like mine, very comfy, good padding and adjustment. Feels very protective.

Not great venting, worse than the Bell Super, but better than my Urge, feels a bit ‘chunky’ over my brow which took me some getting used to, pads stained my forehead black on the first ride so needed washing and despite coming with GoPro stickers, the central ridge doesn’t make fitting a GoPro mount easy!

GolfChick
    Free Member

The OH has one, having tried it on in leisure lakes. He wasn’t looking nor did he need a helmet but once he’d tried it on he found it to be the most comfortable helmet he’s ever tried, he has a funny shaped head apparently. It’s a little warmer than the giro xen sort of helmet but the coverage is nice being a bit lower on your forehead. I’ve been after something for a while and have ordered one of the glittery silver a1s in the crc sale.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah Troy Lees fit people with more dolichocephalic (long headed) better than most.

milko9000
    Free Member

Most comfy helmet I’ve worn by some margin. I am a bit long of head too, I suppose! I have to wear an XL so it’d be nice if it looked a little smaller, but I guess that’s a losing battle for me anyway. Venting is ok but not amazing. Anyway, the sheer comfort of it makes it a winner for me, I’d been hanging on to try that new Smith Optic one but I can’t see me bothering now.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not got one, but of the three helmets I tried on it was by far the comfiest…I just couldn’t see past the colour schemes or the cost.

chrismac

I agree with most of what has been said. Very comfortable, great fit and well made. It’s is a bit warm and noisy from wind but it’s better than the giro feature I used to have. Good value on crc if you can live with last years colours 🙂

crush83
    Free Member

Borrowed a mates when I was looking to buy a few months ago. Was a nice fit and comfortable but I found it very hot and pads leaked sweat into my eyes down my face. I went for a POC Trabec Race, same feeling of fitment but better venting for me and lighter. Just the looks are a bit marmite

Lester
    Free Member

I got a blue one in xl from crc cost £54 with 10% off and £5 crc money.
    Fits great but not sure about the look

pipiom
    Free Member

Great looking…..very comfortable and, yes, a bit warm.

zelak999
    Free Member

Great bit of feedback, looked at CRC bout not sure I can live with the glitter versions! Might have to go for the grey drone!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Akko of these helmets are a bit warm…I’ve just replaced an Urge Enduomatic with a Bell Super which fits much better but I don’t tuning it’s much cooler.min fact in some ways it’s worse because the Zurge used to hld loads of sweat in the front pad whereas the Bell means an almost constant stream on a warm day.

Potdog
    Free Member

Got one and as most have said it’s super comfy. The venting is crap, I think it’s actually worse than my Urge Endur-o-matic, but others will disagree. Not impressed with price or the number of bits that have dropped off fairly quickly. 1st being the central visor screw that disappeared after about 20 rides, then the gel pad at the back on the fit adjuster peeled off after maybe 30 rides.

cardo

Been using mine for over 6 months….
    Very comfy, well made and feels incredibly secure.
    It is a warm helmet though and on super hot days I have a 661 recon which has bigger vents although this feels slightly inadequate after the A1.
    I would buy another if anything awful happened to it.

keithyr
    Free Member

had a giro xen (i think) which saved me in a crash and a fox striker (most uncomfortable helmet)and an urge enduromatic and now have an A1.

I can say without a doubt it is the most comfortable helmet i have had by a mile.

decent coverage, excellent finish etc. reasonably light, not as well ventilated as other helmets.
    Overall very happy with it.

elusiverider
    Free Member

Very comfy helmet, great fit, large coverage, venting ok.
    No real crashes to report on.
    Does suffer a little from sweat on eyebrow area and the gel pad on the back adjuster keeps coming off, which I will probably glue on someday. Other than that is a really good helmet.
    The drone ones are better looking in my opinion.

muddy247
    Free Member

Received mine yesterday- fits really well- more chunky than my fox flux.
    Does anyone know if there is much difference in size between a small/medium and medium large?
    My head is 58cm but egg shaped! I got the medium/large and although if fits well it looks huge!

atlaz
    Free Member

Had mine for 16 months. It’s a bit warm on hot days but that’s comparing it to a heavily vented road helmet. It feels quite solid and I’ve found it very comfortable even for long days riding. I’d buy another one if I smashed it up.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There is quite a difference in the size, and also being in the jellybean shaped head group it’s hard to find something that fits, this did though.

Can’t say I’ve noticed it being any hotter than other helmets that’s a pre a bit fuller on the coverage side of things, I did notice some wind noise with the straps though, and I also got my forehead dyed black, as someone else mentioned.

Like it, it reminds me of my old Xen, the last comfy helmet I had.

atlaz
    Free Member

Oddly, I had a 2008 era Xen which it replaced and it’s quite similar in feel, I’d agree.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Troy Lee A1 helmet – any user reviews?’ is closed to new replies.