Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Troutie spiders eyes – disassembly help
  • pedlad

Appreciate this may be an incredibly niche request, but has anyone taken one of these apart?

My beloved spiders eyes lights have blown one of the LEDs. I’m hoping a repair via a mate who knows about electronics can be carried out, but I’m struggling to get to the LED initially.

The large base plate unscrews to reveal the board with two wires passing through the bulkhead to the lens?LED side. No other way I can see other than taking the lens plate and large semi spherical lens out.

I’ve tried scrapping away sealant and taking O-ring off but it won’t budge and you can’t get anything under lens as a lever in a way that doesn’t feel like it will crack it.

Am I missing something simple?

stevied
    Free Member

The board will, most probably, be glued down using a thermal glue.
    IIRC the front face plate comes off, then the lenses can be removed and you should be able to get to the LED’s.
    Knowing how well Chris put his lights together the LED’s will have thermal paste under them so may need a bit of persuasion to move.

stevied
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Malvern I could have a look for you.
    Worked with Chris quite a bit on our earlier lights so know a bit about how he worked.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    krixmeister

Recognising you are probably wanting to do this yourself, so I have nothing useful to add. Other than – if @stevied ‘s kind offer doesn’t help, I believe MTBbatteries has also worked on/upgraded a number of Troutie lights. Would involve sending off to him.

pedlad

@steveid, a v kind offer indeed – PM sent

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Troutie spiders eyes – disassembly help’ is closed to new replies.