Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Trousers. For riding.
  • 40mpg

I know there was a trouser review just recently, but this covered a range of legwear covering full on waterproof, thermal etc.

I’m after something pretty straightforward ( I hope!). Spray resistant riding trousers that aren’t too hot, with a bog standard button (popper at a push) and fly.

I just want something to keep winter filth off, and spray from running into my boots. I run hot, so full on waterproof / winter kit just gets damp from inside. Last year I had the Decathlon trousers but wore a hole in the bum cheek in just a couple of months (with mudguards). Plus they have the stupid flap/poppers/half length fly so if you need to stop for a wee frequently after the pub, getting half undressed ain’t ideal.

Oh and not stupid expensive, under £100.

So watcha got?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

and spray from running into my boots

They generally have narrow ankles to stop them getting caught on stuff so aren’t likely to do that.

So far as the rest goes, I got some leatt ones from crc in the sale, they’re about what you’re after – I managed riding in Italy in August in them but they keep the wet off.
    Nukeproof blackline are similar from what I’ve seen – I don’t have any but friends do and they seem to be well made as best I can tell

docrobster
    Free Member

Oh I was going to suggest the decathlon ones having just bought a pair. The half fly thing is a bit weird but they seem ok so far. Not had em long enough to wear them out yet.
    So I’m interested in suggestions too by the sound of things!

davros

Endura mt500 spray

frogstomp

Been very impressed with the Nukeproof Blackline Trail Pants – light, stretchy and DWR-treated. They were only £50 when I bought them back in April mind..

ceept

Can’t help on the trousers, but waterproof socks are the answer to dry feet.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I forget what they are called, but I’ve got some Nukeproof ones I really like. Think they were about £65 last year.

olly2097
    Free Member

Not the decathlon ones. Fell apart after 8 or so rides. Sent them back. To be fair they gave me a full refund. The arse area is paper thin.

bikerevivesheffield

My decathlon ones are a year old and look new still despite riding in the peak in them which is notoriously hard on clothes and bikes

ajantom

I’ve run some Regatta lightweight hiking trews for the last couple of winters.

Bottoms of the legs were a little wide, so I took them in a little on the sewing machine. They have zippered bottoms, so still easy to get on/off.

The are lightweight, spray proof, and only cost about £15.

Combined with knee length sealskinz socks and lined knee warmers they work well on even the wettest and coolest of days.

kayak23

I’ve run some Regatta lightweight hiking trews for the last couple of winters.

Same as.

ShanAndy

I also run pretty hot (apart from extremities, bloody reynauds) so this is pertinent to my interests. My riding tends to be fairly pedally, so I need freedom of movement from My riding trousers.

Endura mt500s have done a couple of winters, they’re robust, have dwr and are fine to ride in. In the south downs, they’re plenty warm enough all winter but can get pretty toasty spring & autumn. I really rate them.

Just got a set of rapha fast and light trousers (trail pants were out of stock). Do what they say on the tin, almost invisible to pedal in but seem solid enough. At rrp, they are outside your budget.

I’ve tried both fox & nukeproof trousers, both seemed fine but were a couple of inches too short for me (I’m 6’2″) so both got sent straight back.

desperatebicycle

I got Pearl Izumi Summit. Dead chuffed with em. Very light, cool fabric and dries really quick.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab has some Polaris trews and 3/4 that are definitely heavier duty than her summery Pearl Izumi 3/4’s.
    She’s also just picked up a pair of Prana softshell trousers for hillwalking – wore them on the bike one day last week and pronounced them the best riding trousers ever. Soft yoga waistband, elastic cuffs with narrow calves, only two hand pockets, stretchy, water resistant…

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Another vote for the Nukeproof Black lines. Great fit, comfy and lightweight. Can easily fit knee pads underneath too.
    I think I got mine on a black Friday deal a couple of years ago.
    Great for keeping spray off you but if caught in heavy rain they do become saturated and clingy quickly.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting in prana recently. Need to tuck them into my sock but otherwise pretty good.

weeksy

TLD on Merlin, £65. I never thought I’d go trousers, but just bought my 2nd pair.

Alex

Nukeproof blacklines – splash proof, narrow ankle (I use the with the FiveTen Gortex ankle boot), pretty hard wearing, good fit. I always struggle with shorts having fat thighs but a (relatively) narrow waist. Medium blacklines are a great fit.  Think I paid £65 a year or so ago.

Have some posh TLD as well, bit more breathable for the Nukeproof’s but only one tiny pocket. They were over £100 even in a sale.

Tried Leatt, M and L – M too small, L too big for me.

Regardless of the Mickey taking from my riding mates, I’m a total trouser convert come the muddy season(s)

nickc

I’ve a pair of Sweet Protection Hunter Light. Really well made, good fit (for me) lightweight material that shrugs off water and dries really fast, couple of ankle poppers so you can adjust them to your fat ankles, or over your boots, relatively windproof, very comfy.

Also have the Decathlon ones, which for the price they are, aren’t too bad, reasonably weather proof, not too sweaty, elasticated ankle, so they don’t prevent water going into your boots as well, although still not as shit as tights, weird closure at the waist though, so try before you buy.

dumbbot
    Free Member

No mention of Specialized Demo pants? £110 currently but 15% off if you sign up to the mailing list.

My favourite trousers, they aren’t marketed as waterproof but after owning a pair for 2 years they still shed a remarkable amount, the dwr is pretty good. But the cut, fit, and breathability is also just right, they are just superb..best autumn winter trousers that aren’t waterproof imho.,

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/demo-pro-pants/p/159916

jimmy

Alpkit Floe trousers will fit your bill, if they have stock.

seriousrikk

Yet another vote for the blacklines. LIked them so much I even picked up a pair of the shorts. Perfecy autumn riding gear tbh

muthas

Groundeffect Ranchsliders – Ive had these for years and have used them in trails and commutes. Long lasting and a good fit. I recall the shipping was quick too (from NZ)

Ranchsliders

onedpete
    Free Member

Nukeproof are hard to ignore for the money, especially if you can grab em on sale, I paid 50 quid for mine and would happily pay full price for em. Super light and stretchy, but are wearing very well. Not waterproof, but dwr is quite effective. Love em.

tall_martin

For £20 I got some d2b walking trousers.

Like a pair of quick drying shorts, but trousers. After 2 winters the bum is starting to look a bit thin.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2476414

Something like this

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Endura have a more durable panel at the butt, but Nukeproof blackline at sale price are hard to beat, I’ve got them in two sizes, the looser fitting ones for hotter days.

ShanAndy

I really wanted to like the nuke proofs. I tried two different sizes, but I’m just too tall for them. And I’m not that tall, it would be nice to get a choice of leg length in riding trousers

dawson

Endura humvee 2 trousers are currently reduced on Wiggle, so tempted to try them.

davosaurusrex

I’m 6’4″ and the Commit trail pants (I think) are the perfect length. In many ways they are great, light, stretchy and have survived a good number of offs with no damage. Worn them for the last two summers (although on an ebike). However, I’m a trail giraffe and they look to be sprayed on. No waterproofing at all (although they claim to have a DWR coating) and they don’t even stop nettles from penetrating

Just ordered a pair of Troy Lee Sprint Ultra from Merlin as nearly half price. Sound like they may be one of the few options to be long enough, although expect the lack of pockets will piss me off at times

muddyground
    Free Member

Decathlon ones here. 4 years old, arse is still paper thin but refuses to wear out. Not waterproof any more, but they dry out real fast. Use them with waterproof socks, and all is good.

bikesandboots

Fox Flexair currently £70 at Leisure Lakes Bikes, I have a pair already. Won’t suit the OP as they have a ratchet closure. Only downside for me is the flap fly with no closure. Elastic cuffs unlike Endura Singletrack, and the inseam on the S isn’t too long unlike Nukeproof Blackline which for me is good.

jimmy

Endura have a more durable panel at the butt

I originally bought Alpkit Floe trousers but aren’t then back because they have no reinforced seat. Otherwise, they were perfect.

Then I got to thinking, I’ve started collecting a first few pairs of shorts and this is because I’m not wearing old ones out. Old old pairs. And then I got to thinking, the only pair or shorts I’ve ever actually worn out have been endura mt500 sprays with reinforced seat. And it’s the seat that’s worn out. So now I wished is kept the Alpkit trousers as they’ve never had stick in my size since.

I have since bought Royal Apex trousers, and they seem great. Quite thick in a robust way, so they’ll be fairly warm I think.

singlespeedstu

Nukeproof Blacklines and TroyLee Skylines are both good and very similar in design and function.
    Had a couple of pairs of both since last winter and they’re all wearing pretty well.
    I’d go for which ever of those you can get the cheapest.

tetrode
    Free Member

Blacklines are currently £50 on wiggle. Just picked up a pair of black ones since I got the blue ones earlier in the year and they’ve been great.

beer247
    Free Member

I’m quite happy with my Rapha ones. Crashed in them a few times and they’ve held up well.

Bit over your budget though.

razorrazoo

I like Fox trousers as I’m relatively short in the leg and they are not too long (so probably won’t be the best for tall people).  Never paid full RRP and have a pair of Rangers (slimmer fitting, no venting), Ranger waterproof, Flexair (slightly looser fit and lots of venting) and Defend (more durable, for uplifts).  All have 2 zip pockets (as I ride pack less this is important).

One thing I do need to do with Fox is size down on the waist.  Im normally a 34 but run 32s as 34 too loose even fully adjusted in.

vmgscot

Another Nukeproof Blackline liker – found them a decent leg length so seem to go over the boot (MW7) tops allowing muck to run over and not into the boots.

gashart
    Free Member

Been riding 8n Madison 4 season trousers the last few years, very pleased with them.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.