Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Trouble sleeping, need music.
  • funkmasterp

I need some music to listen to as sleep is proving difficult at the moment. Just been working through a Mark Lanegan playlist consisting of pretty much everything he’s been involved in / been a guest on. On top of that I’ve had the new Frazey Ford album, The Hu album, Fela Kuti and Andy Cooper’s (from UD) solo output.

What’ve you got STW? I’ll give most things a go. Just not ABBA, Oasis, The Smiths or dance music.

tdog
    Free Member

Zakk Wylde hangover music works for me

The band he plays in, BLS gets me fired up a tad…
    If not for the lyrics, then for the amazing guitar work

Nightmares on wax, any of their albums will cure your sleep probsI pretty much guarantee it!

👍🌞

faerie
    Free Member

Tranquility Mix from JD Twitch ✌️

Listen to JD Twitch – Tranquility Mix 2 by JD Twitch (Optimo) on #SoundCloud

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mate of mine plays the shipping forecast, seems to do the trick.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dire Straits.

tdog
    Free Member

Maybe even the stone roses ?

Pretty sure Lemon Jelly is chilled enough too

Ben Harper

gauss1777
    Free Member

I quite like Pink Floyd’s The Final Cut to doze off to.

Merak

Just not ABBA

Your dead to me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Check out kid loco, a grand love story

Or his remix album

Merak

Julia Jacklin, Orlando Weeks (specifically The Gritterman) nice at low volume for trip to zzzzzzzzzz

funkmasterp

Sorry, doesn’t need to be chilled. Want to listen, not fall asleep. Stone Roses, not a big fan of them either. I’m glad I’m dead to an ABBA fan, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Good at what they do, just not for me. Too close to disco and disco is funk gone wrong.

DezB
    Free Member

I have ambient stuff on an iPod: bvdub, The Noisettes, Motion Sickness of Time Travel, are some of them…
    best thing though, is Moby’s Long Ambient series – available here for free downloading – https://moby.com/la/

edit – your above post tells me that isn’t what you’re after!
    Oh well, how about some Moderat.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I like the new M.Ward album. Give that a go 🙂

sailor74
    Free Member

ive been all about Blanco White for a while now.

funkmasterp

Was waiting for you to arrive DezB. In a good way that is. I’m still listening to Malibu Ken

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My fave for nightimes

DezB
    Free Member

One of the few eh..? 😉
    couple of recent purchases: Nicolas Jaar, Four Tet, Haleek Maul “Errol”
    Sleep well 😊

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Art of Noise – The Seduction of Claude Debussy.
    Does it for me. Usually I just use a rain / thunderstorm sim though.

johnners
    Free Member

You could try Sleep by Hans Zimmer, if you’re not after the full 8 hours there’s a “highlights” album called From Sleep. That or side 1 of Eno’s Discreet Music usually sends me off.

Edit – sorry, just saw the amended brief. “Sleep” is still meditative if you’re not looking to actually drop off but personally I’d just put on a generated playlist from Tidal or Spotify for stuff that’s what you already like plus some that’s quite similar but maybe with a couple of surprises thrown in.

Merak

Want to listen, not fall asleep.

null

martinhutch

This is appropriate in both title and content:

Their covers are lovely as well.

Caher

Thunder and rain sounds.

sirromj

Can Thought Exist Without the Body? – John Roberts : piano/violin/noise “dark ambient”

This Tool Has No Options – XY0815 : “a modern take on Rephlexish-Warpy IDM embedded in that Electro groove from the land of milk & honey.”

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Tycho – Dive

Fujitsu – Corals

My top 2 chill/ambient albums of the last few years

feed

Midsommers murders on the tv normally has me out after 5 mins, much to my wife’s annoyance as she loves that shite 🙂

But also I find a 3hr session on the turbo trainer will guarantee me a great sleep anytime, anywhere I happen to be in a slightly comfortable position 🙂

tartanscarf

Mazzy Star.
    Kathryn Joseph.
    Eve Owens.

jonba
    Free Member

Free trial of headspace – try the sleep meditations?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Like most on here I assumed the op wanted to sleep. My bad.
    I lay in bed put in a Spotify track and get led off down the rabbit hole. It’s like Wikipedia for music – you go in at one point and god only knows where you will end up.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Too close to disco and disco is funk gone wrong.

You’re dead to me from a fellow beardy.

Audio books are better than music i find.

johnners
    Free Member

You could try Sleep by Hans Zimmer

by Max Richter dammit! I’m getting my soundtrack composers mixed up. Though ultimately it was an answer to a question it turned out the OP wasn’t asking, despite the replies he’s still getting!

StuF

An alternative I’ve found works for me is I’ve recently discovered the whole back catalog of Eddie Izzard standup on spotify, Dressed to Kill, Glorious etc.

Scratch all the above – just re-read the whole thread.

I’m quite liking Noname, and Pongo at the mo.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have two simple failsafes from which to choose and either work though the first works at a deeper level

1. A tiny dab of (red, not white) tiger balm like this stuff in a glass jar – dab once or twice under the nose.

– and then listen to slow traditional guqin music. It’s a transporting/transforming combination. Playlist a number of different renditions of ‘Wild Geese Descending On The Sandbank’. Like this:

2. For variety then some podcasts where people talk long. For some reason Sasquatch Chronicles channel works a charm. ‘I wuz headin down the old logging trail uhn sumpin’ done made the hairs uhn muh neck stand urp, uhn right then ah hurd this sound emanatuhficatin from the wooods….’

DezB
    Free Member

@funkmasterp – knew you had a thread buried somewhere – have you seen the new series of Mike Judge Presents Tales From The Tourbus? got to watch it if not! I think its the 2nd series (first was about country) its about funk artists – Ep1: George Clinton – one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a while. Check it (Sky Comedy channel).

funkmasterp

@DezB thanks for that, I’ll check it out.

George Clinton is crazy. Drugs, sometimes the after effects never wear off! 😀

CountZero

Would classical be acceptable? Not talking about full-on symphonic stuff, more short pieces by different composers or the same composer but shorter works. I’ve just got around to ripping some as part of my music library rebuilding process and one I’m listening to at this very moment is an album called ’Such Sweet Thunder’, by a cellist who was BBC Young Musician of the Year some time back, Caroline Dale. She’s done some soundtrack work, Atonement was one she played on, and the film ‘Hilary and Jackie’, about the cellist Jacqueline DuPre, where the close-up shots of Jacqueline playing are actually Caroline’s hands playing the cello. A bit different, but lovely to stick a pair of cans on and just listen to the music with no other distractions.
    As it happens, I do know Caroline, she lives not far from me, but I discovered her music long before I actually met her, so this isn’t just just a shameless plug, I love her playing.

Mackem

The Dandy Warhols – Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia

Is my go to sleepy time music.

donkeysled

Portishead, Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Mogwai?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Trouble sleeping, need music.’ is closed to new replies.